Filtering the "To:" addresses

I think these days there is no point in blocking e-mail with sender containing a specific addresses. The spammers make the From: address random 99.9% of the time.

Now, I am getting lots and lots of spam To specific addresses (yes, I am using the catchall and I know the addresses for which I receive spam). Until now, I never received spams in quantities like this much (as I am typing now, 2547 spams in less than 12 hours period and it isn’t stopped yet). I think that particular spammer got crazy :slight_smile: and probably using some sort of cron like mechanism to send mails, I am getting spam mails all the time.

I was getting about 40/50 spams a day for the past week and from today it is gone to 1000s a day now. Until last week, I was only getting at the maximum about 5 to 20 spams a day (for a long lime).

I guess if you support the catchall feature, blocking some To: addresses should be a obvious feature. Am I the only person using the catchall on the whole iworx community?

Will you consider “Mail filtering with To: addresses” as a feature request?

Any way to block on the nodeworx level? (my host doesn’t support SpamAssassin, but I guess, even with SA I will have to handle with many spams). Anyway, I will contact my host shortly.

As I finish typing now, my Trash (IMAP) folder on thunderbird shows 2750 spams.

Not 100% if this will work, but worth a try.

Create a real mailbox for the account in question and set a quota of 0MB on it. This should hopefully bounce mail back saying the box is full. Only problem is the spammer can just move to the next TO: addresses which is why making a TO: address filter isn’t that useful.

Good luck

Thanks for the idea justec, but currently I don’t have that many mail boxes allowed with my hosting plan. And with this method, the undelivered return mail would go to some innocent people as if they were sent from me.

But, I receive spams for known addresses only for a long long time (these addresses were leaked from 2 sites where I submitted my email) and I guess filtering this way won’t be much difficult and it provides a good (100%?) spam protection with 0% false positives.

Luckily, the host setup my domain to work with a commercial anti-spam service, probably mails reaching it’s server first.

PS: Initially, I had setup a “copy to address” with the catchall mailbox, but now I have removed the “copy to” address as I started getting lots of spams. Now, I get spams on my “copy to” address even now (though the spams on catchall mailbox seem to have stopped now).

Thanks for the idea justec, but currently I don’t have that many mail boxes allowed with my hosting plan. And with this method, the undelivered return mail would go to some innocent people as if they were sent from me.

But, I receive spams for known addresses only for a long long time (these addresses were leaked from 2 sites where I submitted my email) and I guess filtering this way won’t be much difficult and it provides a good (100%?) spam protection with 0% false positives.

Luckily, the host setup my domain to work with a commercial anti-spam service, probably mails reaching it’s server first.

PS: Initially, I had setup a “copy to address” with the catchall mailbox, but now I have removed the “copy to” address as I started getting lots of spams. Now, I get spams on my “copy to” address even now (though the spams on catchall mailbox seem to have stopped now).

Actually, 98% of the junk mails are mail delivery errors returned to sender. Probably, the spammer is using my addresses as From: address to send spams.

The spams (i.e the junk return mails) to my domain are stopped now (getting only a few a day now), but I receive the junk returns to my ‘copy to’ address daily (about 100+ a day) though I have cleared the mailbox’s ‘copy to’ setting on the following day I started getting lots of junks.

Did you do something or did they just stop?

Luckily, the host setup my domain to work with a commercial anti-spam service

As I said already, my host put my domain to be filtered with the anti-spam service.

But, I wonder how do I still get those junk return mails for my other address (this is not with my domain) which was a ‘copy to’ address for my domain’s catchall address.