FTP Speed problems

Back to the FTP issue, just had a customer give me a call and said he is uploading a very large (100 MB) file. While uploading it would stop around 60 MB and then start again and stop. On the cPanel server, the file upload will go flawlessly. This has been a on going issue for some time, and I have stopped opening tickets for, as there doesn’t seem to be a fix for this issue.

So maybe with the new IW CP, let’s look at a better FTP server. FTP has been one of IW’s weakest links.

R-n-R,

I’d want to rule out firewall config issues as possibly related to the ftp problems you’re seeing. As a temporary test, I’d recommend shutting down the firewall, and seeing if the FTP problems continue, or if that “fixes” them. If it does help, then we’ll know where to focus.

Paul

We’ll give that a try and see if it helps. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=IWorx-Paul;16133]R-n-R,

I’d want to rule out firewall config issues as possibly related to the ftp problems you’re seeing. As a temporary test, I’d recommend shutting down the firewall, and seeing if the FTP problems continue, or if that “fixes” them. If it does help, then we’ll know where to focus.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Which Firewall? Users end firewall or the servers firewall? Will try both on my end, but wanted to clarify.

I would say the APF firewall. I do have a permission to allow passive FTP, but you never know.

This is out of the box as well - so not sure.

UPDATE: In regards to firewalls on the IW server. With the firewall off, I attempted up install a rather large script using FTP and what should have taken only 5 minutes or less, took 45 minutes.

Same here, with APF off and local connection to server a FTP file transfer which should take 1-2 mins took about 10 mins.

Guys, I’ve moved this discussion to a new thread. We’re having a very hard time reproducing these extremely slow ftp transfer times that you’re experiencing. We’ve done some testing, and while proftpd did appear a bit slower when transfering many files (it was the same speed when transfering one large file). I’m not seeing anything 10 times slower like you guys are describing. With your permission I’d like to try to reproduce the slowness you are seeing on your interworx servers. Opening support tickets would probably be the best way to proceed.

Paul

[QUOTE=IWorx-Paul;16144]Guys, I’ve moved this discussion to a new thread. We’re having a very hard time reproducing these extremely slow ftp transfer times that you’re experiencing. We’ve done some testing, and while proftpd did appear a bit slower when transfering many files (it was the same speed when transfering one large file). I’m not seeing anything 10 times slower like you guys are describing. With your permission I’d like to try to reproduce the slowness you are seeing on your interworx servers. Opening support tickets would probably be the best way to proceed.

Paul[/QUOTE]

OK Paul, I will get a support ticket set up, and set up a test domain to work with. It might be tonight before I can get to this, but I will. Thanks for looking into it.