Help Setting Up Nameservers

I’ve finally got single site licenses for my DNS servers from licensecart. I’ve deployed 2 interworx servers for DNS and 1 main server so now I’ve got…

mainserver.mydomain.com
ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com

On all three servers I set my ns1 and ns2 when it asked me for the name servers on initial setup. On ns1 and ns2 I disabled all services except for the name server. I created 2 glue records at my registrar for ns1 and ns2. Should ns1 and ns2 be resolving now that I set the glue records or should I create A records for ns1 and ns2 first? If so, do I need to create A records on mainserver and then sync them with ns1 and ns2 or should I create them on ns1 and ns2 individually? Also, I noticed that on mainserver, there’s no A record for the hostname of the server. I tried to add PTR records for ns1 and ns2 but my host won’t let me yet because they don’t yet resolve.

I’d like for my DNS cluster to be setup as it is when you use cPanel so that I have 2 external name servers (ns1 and ns2). Do I even have to run a name server on my main server? With cPanel, you don’t have to run a DNS server on the main server, only on ns1, ns2, etc.

I need to know how to proceed to produce the desired result. It would of course be nice if in the end I could go without having to run a DNS server on my main server but I at least want my ns1 and ns2 that all my sites use to be running on these two servers I’ve setup. What steps should I now take?

Thanks.

Hi Syntheisoft
You can use any DNS or nameservers, on any server, even if it is not IW.
You need to create A records for all nameservers you use, if they do not exist, and PTR (but unless your in charge of your CIDR, the network provider should set these as you request)
You do not need to use the main IW server as nameserver, but you would need to ensure the DNS were syncing to main IW server, but how many queries per second does your nameservers curently have.
The following should set you for DNS clustering as follows (using your main IW server, if not needed, just do not set the nameservers in the domain account)
main IW server
A record main.mydomain.url
PTR main.mydoamin.url
NS1.mydomain.url
A record NS1.mydomain.url
PTR NS1.mydomain.url
NS2.mydomain.url
A record ns2.mydomain.url
PTR ns2.mydomain.url
Good that you have records glued, which they should be.
You then need to setup listeners on DNS cluster, so the NS1 and NS2 listen for DNS changes from main.mydomain.url
Once the above is completed, you can then set your nameservers on nodeworx or reseller nodeworx accounts to use either all or just some of the nameservers. If any siteworx account is already in use, you can then manually change the NS and SOA to refect new nameservers.
If you do not use main.mydomain.url as a NS, do not delete any DNS records, or your siteworx accounts may stop working due to DNS missing for those sites
there are so many permutations to how you can setup NS, it just depends upon how you want to set them.
In our setup, we have 3 nameservers, 1 is the main IW server, with 2 IW NS servers. Other users can set their own NS, but if it goes wrong, they can revert back to our NS, and everything will work lovely.
Lastly, please be patient with making DNS or NS changes, as there is usually a delay befoe stale cache refresh on your computer broadband you are using to connect to servers (not on the servers if at a datacentre usually)
I hope that helps a little
Many thanks
John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28514]Hi Syntheisoft
You can use any DNS or nameservers, on any server, even if it is not IW.
You need to create A records for all nameservers you use, if they do not exist, and PTR (but unless your in charge of your CIDR, the network provider should set these as you request)
You do not need to use the main IW server as nameserver, but you would need to ensure the DNS were syncing to main IW server, but how many queries per second does your nameservers curently have.
The following should set you for DNS clustering as follows (using your main IW server, if not needed, just do not set the nameservers in the domain account)
main IW server
A record main.mydomain.url
PTR main.mydoamin.url
NS1.mydomain.url
A record NS1.mydomain.url
PTR NS1.mydomain.url
NS2.mydomain.url
A record ns2.mydomain.url
PTR ns2.mydomain.url
Good that you have records glued, which they should be.
You then need to setup listeners on DNS cluster, so the NS1 and NS2 listen for DNS changes from main.mydomain.url
Once the above is completed, you can then set your nameservers on nodeworx or reseller nodeworx accounts to use either all or just some of the nameservers. If any siteworx account is already in use, you can then manually change the NS and SOA to refect new nameservers.
If you do not use main.mydomain.url as a NS, do not delete any DNS records, or your siteworx accounts may stop working due to DNS missing for those sites
there are so many permutations to how you can setup NS, it just depends upon how you want to set them.
In our setup, we have 3 nameservers, 1 is the main IW server, with 2 IW NS servers. Other users can set their own NS, but if it goes wrong, they can revert back to our NS, and everything will work lovely.
Lastly, please be patient with making DNS or NS changes, as there is usually a delay befoe stale cache refresh on your computer broadband you are using to connect to servers (not on the servers if at a datacentre usually)
I hope that helps a little
Many thanks
John[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying. So I can…

Disable DNS server on main.mydomain.url.
Add listeners for ns1 and ns2 external servers.
Add necessary records in IW interface on main server which will be synced to ns1 and ns2.

Or does the DNS server on main.mydomain.url need to be running to manage zones from there?

Hi synthetisoft

NO, do not disable the main.mydomain.url DNS

This is needed so it knows it’s records internally

You simply do not use the Nameserver record for main.mydomain.url, and therefore it is not live externally, only internally

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28518]Hi synthetisoft

NO, do not disable the main.mydomain.url DNS

This is needed so it knows it’s records internally

You simply do not use the Nameserver record for main.mydomain.url, and therefore it is not live externally, only internally

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Okay. When adding ns1 and ns2’s API keys, I would like to enter their hostnames (Which don’t resolve yet because there are no A records). I see there’s a template zone. Here are the steps I’m considering following now…

Create a new account for mydomain.com (Which will create a new zone) using a dedicated or shared IP. Probably dedicated IP would be best but doesn’t matter?

Add A records in new zone for main.mydomain.com, ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com.

Add syncs for ns1 and ns2 on main server IW using API keys.

All entries will then be in proper zones and sync to all DNS servers?

Edit: I never understood why cPanel creates a new zone for each name server. In cPanel there’s a zone for the hostname and one for each nameserver. In cPanel there would be 4 zones: main.mydomain.com, mydomain.com, ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com. It seems like all those entries should be in the zone for mydomain.com

Hi synthetisoft

Many thanks

Firstly, if not using main.mydomain.url as a nameserver, do not create a NS record for it, only create the A record

You are best advised to create a siteworx account for mydomain.url, as it is easier to see the records, but you could just setup a DNS zone from system services, DNS and using shared IP is fine. No need to use static unless you want too

You need to add NS records for NS1 and NS2 to mydomain.url DNS zone and change your SOA if Nameserver is wrong in that record

You use the API keys from mydomain.url to set listener at slave DNS IW server. It’s upto you if you want it star or serial set, ie both NS1 and NS2 sync to mydomain.url independently or NS1 sync to mydomain.url and NS2 sync to NS1

main.mydomain.url will not sync with any DNS

As I said, there’s soo many permutations you could use, it depends upon how you want it

Many thanks

John

Hi

Sorry, rereading my last post I may not have been clear over main.mydomain.url

main.mydonain.url was meant to mean a NS, but if not using it as a NS, no records for it need creating (NS or A), only the records for mydomain.url, including NS1 and NS2

You are correct, all those records created in cpanel could have been created in zone, unless they were on seperate domains. eg ns1.mysomain.url and ns2.yournameserver.url etc

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28521]Hi

Sorry, rereading my last post I may not have been clear over main.mydomain.url

main.mydonain.url was meant to mean a NS, but if not using it as a NS, no records for it need creating (NS or A), only the records for mydomain.url, including NS1 and NS2

You are correct, all those records created in cpanel could have been created in zone, unless they were on seperate domains. eg ns1.mysomain.url and ns2.yournameserver.url etc

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

I added ns1 and ns2 as listeners to my main server using their API keys. The status says they’re good but when I view the zones on ns1 and ns2 I don’t see the zone I created on my main server for the main domain.

I created the zone for mydomain.com and then added the syncs for ns1 and ns2 to the main server. It says both listeners (ns1 and ns2) pulled DNS from the main server but when I view the zones on ns1 and ns2 all I see is this:

Hi synthetisoft

Many thanks, and you will not see the zones in NS1 or NS2, there not crested as zones as you are expecting. The actual zone is held by your main IW server, and slaves listen for DNS changes, so you only edit records on main IW server

You can check the DNS using an external DNS checker website

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28524]Hi synthetisoft

Many thanks, and you will not see the zones in NS1 or NS2, there not crested as zones as you are expecting. The actual zone is held by your main IW server, and slaves listen for DNS changes, so you only edit records on main IW server

You can check the DNS using an external DNS checker website

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I’m assuming I can also view the zone files on the name servers. I’ll have to figure out where they’re held. I’ve only used BIND before.

Very nice. Everything seems to be working perfectly now and compared to cPanel which requires the zone files to be created in an awkward way, I can finally hold my entries in their proper zones.

Thanks again.