I'm dying to have this answered.

[LEFT]Ok. Let me first say this: After about a day of fussing around, I’m rather exhausted and slightly disappointed that so far I haven’t gotten any answers. This is not directed towards interworx in any manner, I’m just slightly battered around by well, competitors.

It took me a while to find interworx, but from what I’ve glanced over, it looks to be pretty complete and have a generally nice setup, and may actually be able to cover my needs.

I have been using cPanel for quite a while, and as I’m sure you’re aware… the fact that it likes to stick its head into everything is a little annoying, to say the least. I also happen to royally despise the fact that it chooses to use only apache 1.3.3.7 (no webdav :frowning: no mod_ruby :frowning: no worthwhile mod anything :() as well as its uhm… rather slow software update in terms of capability, features, and “getting with the times.” Not to mention that every update almost always means something goes wrong :slight_smile:

I have the capability to do just about everything myself from a hosting point of view… the reason to use a control panel software is to automate some of those rather annoying tasks (like creating BIND zones and such). Everyone who has done that for even a single domain knows that its a pain in the ass and well, should never be done for more than 1 domain on a server lol.

I have grown out of cpanel because I need a rather large number of custom options compiled into php, added to apache, and overall applied to the system, something that cpanel likes to break. I also need apache2, as I said earlier, as well as some rather nicer control of the system. Basically, a control panel that handles the hosting, nothing more.

I have a few questions about interworx… and given that they’re all answered in the way that would make me happy, I may be sticking around here for a while, because from everything I’ve seen, I kinda want to already :slight_smile:

The first one, is, I recently just tried plesk, and discovered that for whatever reason, they use a different system than the normal linux user system:

Users dont exist, its “clients” and they dont have a username/password on your linux box.

The home directory, is not /home… its /var/www/vhosts

The document root, is not public_html, its /var/www/vhosts/domainname.com/httpdocs

The subdomain directories are not public_html/subdomain, they are /var/www/vhosts/domainname.com/subdomains/subdomain (then /httpdocs)

SSH users are then handled by the ftp username (but they do not get a home directory in /home/ =/)

This makes me unhappy, as I tend to allow some of my buddies to host things that I dont necessarily allow my customers (most of my “customers” are buddies though, in a 100+ domain system). Teamspeak, icecast, custom software that generally requires shellaccess and some extra setup within a shell folder, and doing this in a non-/home folder makes administration and well, most of my monitoring, go away.

Also, since the server itself is primarily for my own site hosting and development, a lot of my scripts depend on a localized subdomain setup which I would much rather not stray from.

ALSO, mod_userdir is nice, plesk doesnt allow it…

So basically, i suppose the question I have to ask is… does Interworx create actual user accounts, and when it does, does it allow access through the normal linux way AND when you create a domain in interworx does it set up the virtual host/domain in a /home/username/public_html setup or does it set it up in a different manner?

And, for an account (username) does interworx allow child domains and such (parked/addon) that sit inside their own folder in public_html/ (or a specified folder within the user’s directory), and does interworx do subdomains in a public_html/subdomain structure?

Save me from plesk, 5 hours ago I started out with a rum & coke and 5 hours later I havent finished it because I’m annoyed and frustrated!

(Sorry about the long post, and thanks for any answers you can provide me!)
[/LEFT]

Interworx created a user/group through the noprmal linux way

It creates
/home/accounts/var (which contains all files like mails, stats, etc…)
/home/accounts/domaine.tld/html which is the docroot
And create a symlink public_html in /home/accounts/ that link to /home/accounts/domaine.tld/html

So it is pretty simple to change a config for only ONE user !!
All users has his own vhost file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/domain.com.conf

And, for an account (username) does interworx allow child domains and such (parked/addon) that sit inside their own folder in public_html/ (or a specified folder within the user’s directory), and does interworx do subdomains in a public_html/subdomain structure?

You can create pointer domains
You can create subdomains

All subdomains are just a directory in the docroot /home/accounts/domaine.tld/html

Hope this help

Pascal

[quote=pascal;11576]Interworx created a user/group through the noprmal linux way

It creates
/home/accounts/var (which contains all files like mails, stats, etc…)
/home/accounts/domaine.tld/html which is the docroot
And create a symlink public_html in /home/accounts/ that link to /home/accounts/domaine.tld/html

So it is pretty simple to change a config for only ONE user !!
All users has his own vhost file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/domain.com.conf

You can create pointer domains
You can create subdomains

All subdomains are just a directory in the docroot /home/accounts/domaine.tld/html

Hope this help

Pascal[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I’m a little confused on the directory structure though…

Does it create a dictory called accounts in /home, or did you mean that when you create an account in interworx, it creates /home/accountname, and then adds directories under that.

In other words…

If I make an account, offbeatadam, does it create /home/offbeatadam with /home/offbeatadam/var (for all the data) and /home/offbeatadam/offbeatadam.com/html for the site, then a symlink for public_html to offbeatadam.com/html?

Thanks!!!

If I make an account, offbeatadam, does it create /home/offbeatadam with /home/offbeatadam/var (for all the data) and /home/offbeatadam/offbeatadam.com/html for the site, then a symlink for public_html to offbeatadam.com/html?

Yes

In fact it will create /home/offbeata/

It takes only the first 8 characters of the domain name and remove every special chars and if you have an other domain name like offbeatadam.net then it will create it as
/home/offbeat1/ etc…

Pascal

[quote=pascal;11581]Yes

In fact it will create /home/offbeata/

It takes only the first 8 characters of the domain name and remove every special chars and if you have an other domain name like offbeatadam.net then it will create it as
/home/offbeat1/ etc…

Pascal[/quote]

Ah, makes sense.

Thats very helpful! Thank you!

How about PHP5/Apache2 support? Does interworx have any issues with apache 2.2? And I assume since I’ve seen some php5 areas that it is fully php5 capable. I have no problems with running just php5 (in fact, thats what I currently run on my older server), so I’ve got no complications like having to run two versions.

So far I’m liking it alot :slight_smile:

The best with Interworx is that it runs is own php/mysql instances and it doesn’t touch system files, so you can hack/tweak what you want without never break something

So you can install/run the httpd/php/mysql version of your choice !!

I personnaly use PHP4 as module PHP5 as CGI with suPHP (see differents how to in the hack/tool/… section of this forum)

Pascal

[quote=pascal;11584]The best with Interworx is that it runs is own php/mysql instances and it doesn’t touch system files, so you can hack/tweak what you want without never break something

So you can install/run the httpd/php/mysql version of your choice !!

I personnaly use PHP4 as module PHP5 as CGI with suPHP (see differents how to in the hack/tool/… section of this forum)

Pascal[/quote]

I think I’ve found my new home.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for all the help pascal.

Just to chime in :wink:

The interworx provided RPM’s give you Apache2 by default :slight_smile:

Hello Adam,

Glad you like what you see with InterWorx :slight_smile:

As you can see we have an active user community here willing and able to answer questions, and the development team and other IWorx staff are also very active in the forms so anytime you have a question please just ask.

[quote=OffbeatAdam;11574]
[LEFT] I have been using cPanel for quite a while, and as I’m sure you’re aware… the fact that it likes to stick its head into everything is a little annoying, to say the least.

<SNIP>

Not to mention that every update almost always means something goes wrong :)[/quote]

We’re well aware of the “limitations” :wink: of our compedators. There is no shortage of users here who will gladly chime in and tell you that we only release stable software (even the release candidates are prety stable even if they still have a few bugs)

I have the capability to do just about everything myself from a hosting point of view… the reason to use a control panel software is to automate some of those rather annoying tasks (like creating BIND zones and such).

Many of our clients are in the same boat as you are. InteWorx was designed to let you do almost anything you want from the shell if you want to. The only exception I can think of is DND zone creation because that is done by the InteWors database. Speaking of which, another advangate of InteWorx is that we use DJBDNS TinyDNS instead of bind – much more secure.

It looks like your questions have been answered saving me the effort – thanks guys :slight_smile:

[/LEFT]
You can ask as many questions as you want (and search the site for answers to many many more).

If it’s not being too presumptuous – welcome to the InterWorx “cult” . . . err family :wink:

[quote=IWorx-Tim;11604]Hello Adam,

Glad you like what you see with InterWorx :slight_smile:

As you can see we have an active user community here willing and able to answer questions, and the development team and other IWorx staff are also very active in the forms so anytime you have a question please just ask.
[/quote]

As quite a fresh user/customer: I wasn’t aware of the forum and the nice (and helpful) people on here when I started using Iworx and having discovered the vibrant user/admin community I must say it was a welcomed bonus! :slight_smile:

If it’s not being too presumptuous – welcome to the InterWorx “cult” . . . err family :wink:

For once I don’t mind the expression “cult” :wink: