Installing Interworx in a Kubernetes pod/container

Did anyone try this? Maybe installing it in a stateful set?

I read some people already installed it in Docker containers and had it working, but I’m wondering if there has been anyone using it with k8.

Ideally what works in a docker container should work in a stateful set in a k8 cluster as well, but there may be considerations, so I am looking to listen to opinions on this.

I’ve not heard of anyone running InterWorx inside of Docker, nor with Kubernetes. Do you have links to where you saw someone running it in a Docker container? I’d be interested to see that.

Google search and searching this forum for docker or containers provide various links. I cant post links in the forum so i cant refer anything directly.

Hello–

Sorry, but the only results for docker in the forum are all posts where someone asks if it can be used, and are told no, it won’t work. :frowning:

https://forums.interworx.com/search?q=docker

As far as I am aware, it is not really possible. I’ve been here six years and I’ve never heard of anyone doing this successfully.

Thanks,
-Jenna
Friendly InterWorx Support Manager.

1 Like

I take it that Interworx modifies O/S files? Otherwise it should be possible to have it in a stateful set by using an image that is updated constantly…

Hello–

Yes, InterWorx modifies many files throughout the OS. You’d likely end up having to persist so much of the system that you’d be better served just running a VM. I’m certainly not a containerization expert (less so with Kubernetes), but InterWorx doesn’t seem like a good candidate for containerization due to the number of services it runs. Most “best practices” for containerization push for a “one service == one container” setup, but InterWorx runs a bunch of services. I’m not sure what benefit there would be to containerization at that level. There are likely some, but whether they would outweigh the potential issues caused by such a setup is unknown.

Thank you,

This thread is a bit old, but I’m surprised there’s still no answer to this question. I haven’t tried installing Interworx in a Kubernetes pod/container, but I’m pretty sure it should work. Docker containers should work in a stateful set in a k8 cluster, so you shouldn’t have any issues. If you’re still looking for info on this, I highly recommend checking out Pealsy’s blog. They have some great resources and they often cover topics like this one. You can check out their blog at pealsy.com. I’m sure you will find it helpful and I really like the way they write about complex things.