Interworx 6 to Interworx 7 Upgrade?

Hi

Kudos to IW and @iworx-brandon

Just upgraded one of our servers to IW 7 and worked like a dream (well had to regenerate 1 siteworx vhost file, update CA Certs and correct yum update fail - but these were not IW fault)

This server also had chirpy CSF and CXS and R1soft installed, which did not cause any issues on upgrade

@iworx-brandon - putting http to https redirect into its own .conf in users apache folder worked lovely thank you.

I do have a question though, which I maybe overthinking - could a user change SSL ciphers by adding their own .conf in the users apache folder

If so, I believe this has the potential to stop apache restarting of not 100% correct and if so, how easy would it be to track down the potential user causing the conflict in SSL

Lastly, I am sure you all know but I forgot (sorry @IWorx-Jenna) but IW 7 is not for Centos 6 - so any users trying to upgrade a old Centos 6 server - it will fail

Many thanks

John

Thanks for testing it @iworx-brandon,

I donā€™t know what to tell you about the ā€œStart on boot-upā€ MySQL setting. It has been a while since I visited that page in IW6, and I didnā€™t check it before running the upgrade, so I could be wrong about it being associated with the upgrade. Itā€™s not a setting I would have left at ā€œnoā€ had I seen it before, however. If those values are pulled from a conf file I could retrieve from backups, I can take a look and see if I can tell when/if it changed.

The *.htm files are only HTML, no PHP. I did a little experimentation with the *.htm files, and I only get an error if itā€™s an index.htm file. A test.htm file loads just fine. The test file I used consists only of HTML:
test.htm (344 Bytes)
Attempt to browse to the file while itā€™s named ā€œtest.htmā€ and it loads just fine. Rename it to ā€œindex.htmā€ (and make sure itā€™s the only index file in the folder) and it returns:

Forbidden
You donā€™t have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am running the OWASP rules with ModSecurity, which is the source of most of my 403 woes, but there is nothing in the error logs to indicate this is due to OWASP as there usually would be.

Hi

@linux4me I coudl be entirely wrong, as I am not feeling too well today and a little woozy, but could it be it is missing from apache (httpd.conf) which you can access from nodeworx, services webserver

I have just checked mine and it is

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.html.var

If you add index.htm and save and restart, I think it will work as expected

Many thanks

John

@d2d4j, sorry youā€™re not feeling well.

I checked the DirectoryIndex line in my httpd.conf, and index.htm is there:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.php5 index.php4 index.php3 index.perl index.pl index.plx index.ppl index.cgi index.jsp index.jp index.phtml index.shtml index.xhtml index.html index.htm index.wml Default.html Default.htm default.html default.htm home.html home.htm index.js

Iā€™m not sure what the deal is.

I did notice something else, though. If I go Nodeworx > System Services > Web Server and click the link to edit the configuration file, then click the Cancel button on the edit screen, nothing happens.

@d2d4j Are you 100% sure IW7 is not for centos 6 as i had checked the Interworx demo site running IW7 and that indicates it a Centos 6.10 final server. see
Been following this topic with great interest and was looking forward to the upgrade.

Hi

@bear - yes I was myself and we used a free 1 domain IW server used for DNS only to test with. @iworx-brandon fixed the preflight test so it was showing lovely to go ahead an upgrade, I opened a support ticket as it failed.

@IWorx-Jenna spent time having a look and let me know the reason. I hope Jenna does not mind, but I will post the relevant part below so you can see why. It is connected with CA certs and OpenSSL on Centos 6, which is End of Life (EOL) for over a year now.

Kudos to IW and fully understand they will not support EOL

Many thanks

John

Unfortunately, while the fix is as easy as running ā€˜yum updateā€™ or 'yum reinstall ca-certificates ā€™ on a CentOS 7 server, this server is CentOS 6:

[****** ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.10 (Final)
[****** ~]#

Since itā€™s been EOL for about a year, now, those commands donā€™t work for this (and, if I remember correctly, the new certificates wonā€™t work at all for the version of openSSL that EL6 uses):

[****** ~]# yum reinstall ca-certificates
Failed to set locale, defaulting to C
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
Setting up Reinstall Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• remi-safe: mirror.23m.com
    Installed package ca-certificates-2020.2.41-65.1.el6_10.noarch (from updates) not available.
    Error: Nothing to do
    [****** ~]# yum update
    Failed to set locale, defaulting to C
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
    Setting up Update Process
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
  • remi-safe: mirror.23m.com
    No Packages marked for Update
    [****** ~]#

I recommend just moving to a CentOS 7 serverā€“that actually will cut out the whole upgrading to IW7 thing all together, as you can just install IW fresh on it. Let me know if you need a demo key to help with that migration.

Thanks,
-Jenna

1 Like

Hi

@linux4me many thanks. It was just a thought

You are correct, cancel button also for me does nothing as I have just tested it.

If you donā€™t mind, could I ask why you have index.php5 4 3 etcā€¦ listed I know why .pl default and home are shown but guess you have special usage

If it is private or you prefer not to say, please accept my apologies

Many thanks

John

Helloā€“

Elaboration on what John posted: IW7 can be used on CentOS 6 servers. The issue will be upgrading. A month ago or so (Oct 1st, according to our chat log), CA certs expired, and the updated ones are not compatible with the OpenSSL version for EL6. So many EL6 servers will not be able to run the update (or install any InterWorx version at all), now.

So itā€™s not an IW7 isnā€™t compatible with EL6 thing, itā€™s an EL6 is not compatible with the CA certs that are needed to access the repo for the update. Which is, again, a new thing as of the beginning of Oct.

If your current IW6 servers are using CentOS 6, I strongly recommend just migrating to EL7 servers and just installing IW7 fresh. While we are working on AlamLinux 8 support, there is no ETA on it being available, and more and more things are just going to start failing with EL6 that we canā€™t bandaid like we have been doing for the last year. :frowning: CentOS 7 doesnā€™t go EOL for another two and a half years or so, so that is really a much better option at this juncture.

Thanks,
-Jenna

1 Like

IW7 uses a new template system, different from IW6. Any changes you may have made in the past to let .htm extensions work may not have crossed over. Can you submit a ticket to support.interworx.com and enable RA? Iā€™ll take a look and see if I can get it working for you, again.

Thanks
-Jenna

2 Likes

@d2d4j, I have never modified the DirectoryIndex setting, so that must be what was set when the server was configured and IW6 installed. Some of those entries are really unusual to me. I only use *.php, *.htm (on IW6), and *.html, so I suppose I could remove the restā€¦

Hi

@linux4me @IWorx-Jenna I have just run a quick test by renaming a default IW index.html to index.htm and it worked lovely (we have index.htm in httpd.conf as well)

So I am thinking it is something other then directoryindex as it worked for us

@linux4me coudl you repeat same test, just rename a default IW index.html to htm and see if it shows error

I am going to bed now for me, but kudos to IW and thank you for delivering a near perfect transition tool

Many thanks and hope you all have a lovely night

John

Hi @IWorx-Jenna,

Iā€™ve created a support ticket (#SUP00054062) and enabled Remote Assistance. No rush on this; I changed all the affected files to *.html, so nothing is currently broken.

@d2d4j,

Yes, a default IW index.html file renamed to index.htm also gives the error. Iā€™m curious to see what Jenna finds.

I hope you can get some rest and feel better!

I see the ticket, Iā€™ll poke around a bit and let you know what I find. :slight_smile:

As a note, I was able to reproduce the 403 error on a test server, changing the default index.html to index.htm.

1 Like

Oh good, Iā€™m glad you were able to reproduce it. Itā€™s good not to be the only one.

1 Like

@d2d4j Hope your feeling better soon.

@IWorx-Jenna
With regards to IW7 on a Centos 6 server, may be an idea to have some sort of warning in the pre-flight check.
just one question, can you use the mass import in Nodeworx to transfer accounts from a server with IW 6 to a server with IW7 on it?

1 Like

Helloā€“

I already added in our work chat with the devs about adding something like that to the pre-flight checker, though no one is in until next week. Johnā€™s server yesterday is literally the first time Iā€™ve seen the issue, though that makes sense since the certs just expired a few weeks ago. So it was unknown it could possibly be an issue until then.

Yes, you can import accounts from IW6 to IW7. That is actually what we have been advising customers to do for the last few years.

Thanks,
-Jenna

1 Like

Thank you for the reply :grinning:

just rereading your comment.
i may be wrong but i think you misinterpreted my comment as inteworx 7 has not been available for years.
if i have IW6 on one server and want to import accounts on to a new server with IW7 will there be any issues? thank you for your time

Hi bear

IW7 has been in service for over a year I believe and it is only the upgrade tool from IW6 to IW7 which has just reached RC or stable

There are lots of users who have imported from IW6 to IW7 fresh install without issues

We will be importing some of our accounts from IW6 to IW7 next week

If your a little unsure still, if you try plan a test import to be around the working times of IW, so if you have an issue, you can quickly open a support ticket and let IW have a look

Also, @IWorx-Jenna @iworx-brandon on new siteworx accounts the index.html is 755 and should be 644 but better check the other files

Could I ask how you view the graphs from server graphs to show daily weekly monthly yearly

Many thanks and hope you have a lovely weekend

John