InterWorx a Windows Server and DNS

I would like some feedback. I have made the decission to go with a Windows Server for all my clients that wish to use FrontPage with Extensions, etc.

(I know, I know, no M$ wise cracks…lol)

Well what I am planing on doing is the Windows Box will be for hosting sites only, no email, databases, all that will be on a IW Linux server. I plan to run DNS (zones) off the IW server and just point the A record towards the Windows Box.

But what I am trying to figure out is how will I set up Webmail (Horde) if the A record is pointing towards the Windows Box. I tried to login to Web mail by using the servers url, but Horde will not let me login in, any ideas or suggestions for a work around?

Can you setup as webmail.DOMAIN rather than DOMAIN/webmail.

If not, setup some form (dont know Windows that well) Alias similar to apache so that all /webmail requests maybe display a frameset which pulls in horde from your Linux box?

OK. I like the webmail.DOMAIN idea.

I was so focused on the indivual domains, I didnt actually try the server name as the possible login route, http://servername/webmail. And that works just fine. So I think I will just tell the clients they must use that route for webmail.

In regards to Windows server, this will be my first one so it will be a learning experience for me.

Also –

Just because WWW.domain.com as an “A” record is pointing to the M$ box doesn’t mean the plain ol’ domain.com is. You could allow domain.com/webmail to continue as it is - and only redirect the WWW.domain.com to the M$ box - you should end up with the same result.

JB

I dont think that would be a good idea b/c most people dont type the www anymore (that was so 90s :stuck_out_tongue: )

Heh … :slight_smile:

You know, I thought that too – until watching my relatives, friends, countrymen seemingly (and unfortunately) put www in front of everything they type in a URL …

"No, no Mom … it’s just “webmail. … no, no www … webmail. … I don’t know why you’re not getting there … read me what you have … no, no … take out the www… yes, I know it’s a web thingy …”

mhmm. thingy.

JB

Well what I am planing on doing is the Windows Box will be for hosting sites only, no email, databases, all that will be on a IW Linux server.
Can database applications (like a forum or blog) run fine that way?

I dont think that would be a good idea b/c most people dont type the www anymore (that was so 90s )
I too don’t type www, but sometimes I come across a few sites that don’t work without the www. Only after trying with the www, I would realize that the site wasn’t down.

Not to mention the end users, still webmasters that only know or care for www exist. :wink:

Right - and as you’ve mentioned the plain’ol .domain.com doesn’t have to be the root of your website, either - and not necesarilly by accident.

“www” is still just a host record, like any other host record - www2.domain.com, love.domain.com, ieatpizza.domain.com – all of which can be pointed to whatever you want (webserver or not).

JB

[QUOTE=JayBaen;10106]Heh … :slight_smile:

You know, I thought that too – until watching my relatives, friends, countrymen seemingly (and unfortunately) put www in front of everything they type in a URL …

"No, no Mom … it’s just “webmail. … no, no www … webmail. … I don’t know why you’re not getting there … read me what you have … no, no … take out the www… yes, I know it’s a web thingy …”

mhmm. thingy.

JB[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, so true! :smiley: