InterWorx-CP Feature Requests

username / domains

What about a choice of username rather than just one being generated based on the domain, as well as an option to change the default domain for the account… this makes a lot of sense to me - if a client owns like _____.org and then gets .com being able to change the default domain would be a nice addition.

This makes a lot more sense, it could always be an optional feature for those that like the current setup.

This was discussed before and IIRC Chris’s response was that you will have fewere chances of a username conflict the way it is now.

Also, afaic, the current way DOES make the most sense. Your domain is your identity and yoir username is part of your domain name.

I realize that it makes sense to have this as the setup, however I have clients changing their primary domains all the time - and removing/readding their account is certainly not at the top of my list of things to do :wink:

If iworx checks usernames that are taken on the system and rejects a new username if it’s already taken, there would be no reason to have a username conflict.

Well, that’s easy. You can’t change the primary domain :slight_smile:

And that’s just extra code for them to add/run and slow the system down.

Sorry, not gonna agree on this :wink:

I agree to some extent, but we need to keep in mind that not everyone out there who uses hosting knows all the ins and outs. While I don’t want to see a simplistic dumbed down system, it should be something that is easy to use for people who don’t know much about how systems like these actually work.

My point being that Joe User at Acme Falangie Factory doesn’t know what it means to “put that in the .htaccess file”. He just knows he wants falangies.com to go to the same place as acmefalangiefactory.com

• Nick

I agree with Nick to the point of SiteWorx being easy-to-understand for the average webhosting client - as you don’t particularly want to lose customers based on what control panel you use, especially if it’s because things are “too complex to understand” for them.

However, within NodeWorx - things should not be dumbed down at all, the point of it is for the systems administrator or reseller (both of which should know the “lingo” or know how to RTFM) to manage the server and/or clients.

More feature requests

1. Ability to set the security certificate used with IMAP-SSL and SMTP/TLS & SSL through Nodeworx (if it’s there, I can’t find it)

2. Ability to set the securty certificate used with nodeworx itself through nodeworx.

Setting up the SSL certificate that Nodeworx uses is rather simple, timryberg has a nice tutorial for it on his website. I set one up this morning with a free SSL cert from CaCert this morning and it’s working rather well :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s trivial to do. It should just be able to be done through Nodeworx, not from the command line only.

Simmliar for the SMTP and IMAP servers. It’s easy to do from the command line, if you know how to do it. If you have no idea how, it can be a frustrating experiance trying to figure it out.

I’m just trying to think in terms of “ease of use” for the product.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t have minded going through nodeworx to do it, especially in terms of having to decrypt the key file and go through the whole process (not documented in timryberg’s tutorial… but i’m an experience sysadmin so it’s pretty obvious :slight_smile:

Everything is working well for me after all that though.

More Ideas

Options for the IMAP/IMAP-SSL server in the same area as MTA and MDA settings for qmail? Things like maximum simultanious connections, ssl certs, and such.

Not quite sure, i’m not that familiar with qmail as i’ve been using cPanel on my other servers for quite some time. As my signature says i’m a “newly found lover of interworx” … So I truly only have expertise with Exim and the like.

Maybe timryberg has a tutorial on his website tho, http://iworx-faq.transwarpsupport.net/

IIRC this is one of the things that is somewhere on the ToDo list (at least replacing NodeWorx’s SSL with your own). I KNOW it’s been suggested before (by me :wink: ).

The IMAP/POP3-SSL comment is on the list, as is the NodeWorx CERT. They just aren’t as high as some other stuff guys but believe me they should be there at some point and your point is well taken nbright.

Regarding .htaccess stuff, we’ll be putting a pretty/easy face on all the basic functions. “.htaccess” itself won’t even be mentioned. The interface will be task-based (i.e. “IP block list”, “Hotlink Blocking on/off”, etc).

Chris

Or CPanel, boy if you look in the dictionary under pretzel, you see CPanel.

This very thing happened with me a few weeks ago on a Ensim server, my client owned ________.us he was FINALLY able to get _______.com and of course he wanted to use his ________.com as primary domain. On the Ensim server it was a simple and easy switch.

But there is really no reason to do that, if you create a pointer domain for the .com on the account everything works exactly the same for both domains. The only one to tell the difference is the client because of the names of the durectories on the server.

Yes Tim, you are correct, BUT, the customer wanted it that way and it saved me a hassle and for that I am grateful.

One more feature request (didn’t notice InterWorx didn’t provide it untill 10 minutes ago, we also hardly use it, so it would be low priority):

SMTP over SSL (TLS).

We already have secure POP3 and IMAP, but not yet secure SMTP.

Yes Tim, you are correct, BUT, the customer wanted it that way and it saved me a hassle and for that I am grateful.

I actually just got a new client who’s webmaster got them a .info last year and then totally abandoned them with a pointless site. I find .info’s to be quite unprofessional in terms of marketing a “professional” site so I got them a .com and had to start their account over from scratch as they don’t want the .info anymore.

-AM