Interworx is new? + What am I missing from Cpanel?

My hosting company said something like “Interworx is new… they restarted” - or something to that effect.
How long has the software been going?

Cpanel: what am I missing? What am I gaining?
I’ve looked around the control panel… nothing special… I think they could do a lot to make look more user friendly.

Would love to know.

Thanks.

Hi masterengine

IW has been going for over 16 years and there are still members on here from 2004 or earlier

There is a big difference between how CPanel works to how IW works and IW does not place restrictions on sys admins.

The only important thing to remember is IW only supports their software and not third party software. So if you install a third party software and it causes an issue with IW software, then it is chargeable or you have to correct.

This though rarely happens as most do not change or add software.

IW are developing different themes as anyone who use IW can and a few have made similar comments. Personally, I like cool fresh as it clearer for me to read

There are ongoing developments which will be rolling out but no time frames

Many thanks

John

Thanks for the reply.
3rd party software?
Can you give me an example

Wordpress - that’s all I’ll ever need.
Anything else will be bespoke PHP and Python coding.

Hi masterengine

Web apps are fine and most can be installed using softaculous in under a minute

The third party software would be from repos for the distro your using. Most work alongside and work lovely as long as you have good knowledge of the software you have installed

You may want to check chirpy out for CSF replacement to APF and csx as replacement for maldet if you installed maldet. Using CSF means you do not need BFD

Many thanks

John

Sorry for being dumb…
What’s a repo and distro?
(Distro is the Linux version right?)

CSF?
APF?
CSX?
Maldet?
BFD?

I’m confused.

I googled some of the above… but could you explain in the context of what you are saying.

Thanks.

Hi masterengine

The post refers to firewalls, malware and intrusion protection

Are you a nodeworx user and what level of sys admin are you

Many thanks

John

John, I have a VPS server that will be Interworx when migrated. So, I guess I have full admin rights to the whole server, including root access (like I had with Cpanel).
I assumed my hosting company would deal with those things mentioned?

Hi masterengine

Many thanks

I think you need to check with your provider as these as outside of IW and is at sys admins preference to do or not

There is plenty of forum posts re above though, if you want to try yourself

Many thanks

John

not really

Thats great

IntrWorx has been around since at least 2002, so for a very long time. Ive been using it off and on basically since the beginning. For whatever reason they don’t seem to have a s large a market footprint but they are absolutely comparable feature wise to cPanel and Plesk.

I’ve used cPanel but confess that I am not as familiar with it. What are you looking for feature wise that you aren’t seeing? There is a good chance it is here or can be done via command line if needed.

All hosts are different. But in general if they installed InterWorx for you then they support the control panel itself and the system apps (mail, DNS, web server, etc.) installed with it. If, however you installed it yourself then you (or whomever you bought the InterWorx license from) would be responsible.

Is this a “Managed” host or an “Unmanaged” one?