IonCube accelerator VS zendoptimiser

Hello,

I plan to install a PHP accelerator/optimiser as for example, zend optimiser or ioncube accelerator.

I think zend should be more efficiant, as I think the ioncube project is dead (or going dead)

What would be your preference ?

For zend, there is a version for “linux glibc2.1” and one for “glibc2.3 AMD 64bits”. On my box I have a glibc2.3.2 version but it is a intel P4 with HT not an AMD

What version do you think I should use ?

Is there any known pbm using zend optimiser or ioncube accelerator on an interworx-cp box ?

Thanks
Pascal

The way the accelerators work is by being installed in the php.ini - so it shouldn’t affect interworx UNLESS you edit the InterWorx php.ini file. There is a common misconception about the Zend optimisers.

Zend optimisers don’t optimise - UNLESS - you’re using a script that has been encoded with Zend engine. Since it costs to do this, you see this in applications like VBulletin, Modernbill, WHM Autopilot.

IONCube accelerator is a good one, however not really an effient one. I use TurckMMCache. Very fast. Very effieicent. Page execution times drop to 1/5th to 1/10 just by installing it. The creator of this project has stopped working on it, however, I there doesn’t seem to be any issues - Major ones - in using this with PHP 4.3.x series. DO NOT USE THIS WITH PHP5.

Also - if you’ve tweaked out the /tmp with some kind of speed and safety measures, you need someone who knows about this install it for you. As there are some jobs that have to be croned. Otherwise you would end up with a full /tmp folder. Apache starts sending empty pages then :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve already tested TurckMMCache, which works fine on my box, but I’d like to tests others one, before take a decision.

Pascal

You can install Zend optimisers as well as MMCache. However, you need to make sure that mmcache settings are infront of the Zend ones. IonCube And MMCache won’t work together.

Yes if I remember well I have to first install mmcache, then install zend optimiser, and configure the php.ini file to tell it using mmcache as a zend module ?

right ?

haha,

Strange, on my box there is no phpize installed.

So I’ve manually installed the php-devel from the interworx rpms databases.

rpm -ivh http://updates.interworx.info/iworx/RPMS/cos3x/i386/php-devel-4.3.9-101.iworx.i386.rpm

I thought it was installed by default. Apparently not.
But I’m sure that on one of my others boxes, it is…

Pascal

Hmm. Strange. I think Chris did that for me when he did the upgrade. I didn’t have to install anything.

yep strange, I thought it was.

Anyway, now mmcache works just fine :slight_smile:

As there are some jobs that have to be croned

Do you speak about jobs that remove all expired scripts and data from shared memory and disk cache ?

what sort of croned jobs ?

Thanks
Pascal

NAPPA,

I’ve setup the shm_ttl and shm_prune_period. Do you have an experience with these settings ? (for me, I prefere do this to be sure mmcache, cache not only the first most use script but all scripts that are used)

mmcache.shm_ttl=“600”
mmcache.shm_prune_period=“300”
mmcache.content=“shm_and_disk”
mmcache.keys=“shm_and_disk”
mmcache.sessions=“shm_and_disk”

And about /tmp/mmcache , As it apparently grow up with never stops, I"ve add a simple

rm -f /tmp/mmcache/*

in the start; and reload section of the /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd file.

Pascal

RE: Cron

rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-1*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-2*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-3*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-4*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-5*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-6*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-7*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-8*
rm -f /tmp/mmcache/mmcache-9*

I actually need to use two digit version of it. Because if the number of files is too great, you’ll get Argument too big error. UGG!! One of my pent us frustations. I run multiple servers with archived text files. To chmod / own files, we’ve got to go through them all by using many commands in a while loop. I really had hoped there be more dynamic memory allocation support added for this.

Thanks,

well, I only have mmcache-7.

And I think it should be enough to do this only when httpd is restarted (if I remember iworx does it every day ?? , I have to check this)

Do you know what means other -1 , -2 etc … ?

What is the recurrent time you set in cron ?

Thanks
Pascal

I do it every week. Daily is a option, but I tend to avoid that on the hosting servers. Too much chance of having daily problems with the system.

PS :
When was the last time you had a look at the mmcache settings info ? It seems like you’re using one of very very old set of instructions on the mmcache site.

PS :
When was the last time you had a look at the mmcache settings info ? It seems like you’re using one of very very old set of instructions on the mmcache site.

lol, why ?

today…

I know that the default config is with
mmcache.shm_ttl=“0”
mmcache.shm_prune_period=“0”

but I do some tests with
mmcache.shm_ttl=“600”
mmcache.shm_prune_period=“300”

and I also know that you don’t have to specify
mmcache.content=“shm_and_disk”
mmcache.keys=“shm_and_disk”
mmcache.sessions=“shm_and_disk”

as it is by default, but I really prefere explicitly give these parameters, as I am not the only one that admin these boxes.

Thanks for your advises

Pascal

:slight_smile: