Looking for a NAS / Filer box

Hello all

I’m currently looking for a NAS (filer) box.

It should have at least :

• hot swapable HD
  • Raid1/Raid5
  • 1TB of storage (at least, the best being the ability to add new space up to 1.6TB)
  • SATA or SCSI but no SAS

I think about something like a total of 6 * hot swapable drives capacity. I’d first buy 3*250GB HD (to allow raid5) then later add more if need. All 3 drives will be in RAID5.

So do you know some cheap but good boxes having these specs ?

Thanks

Pascal

“Cheap” is relative. How cheap? What is your price-range? :stuck_out_tongue:

from the cheapest up to 4000$ :slight_smile:

Why not build your own?

A cheap 4U case, Supermicro motherboard, a couple fast dual-core Opterons or Xeons, a few gigs of ram, a nice Linux distro, a RAID card, and a load of hard disk :smiley:

Other than that, have you looked at the usual suppliers, like HP, Dell, IBM etc?

[QUOTE=Fr3d;9774]Why not build your own?

A cheap 4U case, Supermicro motherboard, a couple fast dual-core Opterons or Xeons, a few gigs of ram, a nice Linux distro, a RAID card, and a load of hard disk :smiley:

Other than that, have you looked at the usual suppliers, like HP, Dell, IBM etc?[/QUOTE]

well why not.

A dell pv 745N is what we thought first. But looking at the dell site, we didn’t find it, and now it seems that dell sell and certify their NAS box only for Windows 2003 storage server. And linux / nfs :frowning:

Ibm/compaq is really to expansive.

We’d try to know what NAS box some of you use, and what you think.

Pascal

At home, I just use an external USB2/Firewire drive on my linux server, and use Samba to share it, although the drive has recently decided to try and die, so it’s inactive at the moment.

The stuff where I work is way out of your price-range I’m afraid… We’re talking about 40U racks with almost 50TB of storage in each one… and there are a lot of these racks :smiley:

[QUOTE=Fr3d;9781]
The stuff where I work is way out of your price-range I’m afraid… We’re talking about 40U racks with almost 50TB of storage in each one… and there are a lot of these racks :D[/QUOTE]

They surely use a SAN rather than a NAS :slight_smile:

Exactly as my major clients does. (I’m freelance and work more on IBM i5-Server also called as400, but also on windows/linux env)

Pascal

I’d be curious to know what Nexcess use :slight_smile:

Well yes it’s a SAN, but there are a few NASes around too, although I haven’t looked at them, so I couldn’t say what they are.

You might be able to find some cheap NASes on eBay if you look hard enough.

If you don’t mind me asking, who is your major client? :slight_smile: