Mail Logging Stopped

Just wondering why [Siteworx version 6.10.1] I have this error in the System Health:

Mail Logging Stopped
NOT OK
The logging service was not running for the following service(s): Alt. Inbound SMTP Server
InterWorx will attempt to restart the loggers.

Hello–

I would recommend the following troubleshooting steps:

• At the top of the System Health page the screenshot is from, there should be a button that says “Refresh” next to “Cache last updated x hours ago”. Click that–since the message says that logging is going to try to restart, it may already have, but that page is cached so it is not showing.

• If that doesn’t work, check for full partitions with df -h. Logging may have stopped because there was no more room.

• Restart mail services

If none of the above works out, submit a ticket to support.interworx.com and I’ll take a look. You’ll need to also provide the IP, port if anything other than 22, and remote assistance will need to be enabled.

Thanks,
-Jenna
Friendly Neighborhood InterWorx Support Manager

Hi

@nico and @IWorx-Jenna

good spot, I had to wait until I had time to have a look at one of our servers

I think it is same shown on ours, but our error is alt inbound smtp - see picture

I think this maybe the removal of the alternate smtp from earlier IW versions

Many thanks

John

Hi Jenna,
Done all, enough free space, i had even one of the servers rebooted, message still there.
I have created a support ticket to login for you.
Nico

Hey John–

Thanks for letting me know that error is on your server, as well. That was really helpful, as my ability to reproduce on my test servers was hit or miss.

I updated Nico’s ticket with my findings, but figured it would be prudent to do so, here, as well. :slight_smile:

I’ve not had any other reports of this issue, but it seems to potentially be related to a few things:

• The server having been converted to Dovecot or the Dovecot MSA (vs being newly installed after those were standard)
  • /service/smtp2 having been removed (vs that folder never being on the server to begin with, as would be the case with a new install).
  • An issue in the past where Dovecot went down, and then would not restart because SMTP2 started itself and was holding the port (which is something permanently solved by removing that folder)

So InterWorx, for some reason, on some servers is looking for logging for SMTP2, and of course that does not exist for servers running the Dovecot MSA to handle 587.

Good news is that this error does not look to be related to any expected logging. Dovecot log, Send log, SMTP, Maillog, etc, all logging correctly and up to date.

I did find a cache file on Nico’s server:

/usr/local/interworx/var/cache/IWorx_Cache/ports.smtp2.cache

I removed that file, and the error resolved itself on the system health page. I ran various crons that look for problem detecting and logging, and it did not come back, either.

That cache file can be safely removed. It will regenerate if anything attempts to check the cached value of the SMTP2 port, but the only thing I could think of that might do so, since that service no longer exists, is the various crons, so it seems a safe bet it will stay gone.

I’m submitting a bug report to make it so that the problem detector doesn’t look for SMTP2 logging on servers using the Dovecot MSA, and to maybe remove that cache file, as well, if the Dovecot MSA is enabled. I don’t have an ETA. However, the error does not seem to mean anything that is supposed to be working is broken, and it can be easily reset by removing the above cache file. :slight_smile:

-Jenna

1 Like

Quick correction–the cache file did return after running the crons, but the error did not. So it seems removing the file does resolve the error on the system health page, but it did not specifically cause the error on the system health page.

1 Like

i also have this in my system health, this appeared after converting to Dovecot. Both your statements where correct with the issues.
I submitted a ticket when dovecot would not restart and support sorted the issue for me.

• The server having been converted to Dovecot or the Dovecot MSA (vs being newly installed after those were standard)

• An issue in the past where Dovecot went down, and then would not restart because SMTP2 started itself and was holding the port (which is something permanently solved by removing that folder)

Just to let you know, i just removed that cache file and refreshed system health and error has gone. :grinning: