Mailing List ? Full install instructions and will it work in new version?

Have two questions

1. Is there a full working installation instructions for mailman for the current non beta version of interworx cp

2. If it is installed will it be affect when i upgrade to 3.0?

I am interested in this also.

http://www.interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225&highlight=mailman

I still have this running and 3.0 didn’t break anything.

If the ssh script isn’t on the server anymore, PM me and I can send it to your email but remember this is UNSUPPORTED.

Hello,

After an entire afternoon of testing, I came up with the solution that works for Mailman/Interworx. Following the old threads about Mailman and Interworx can be somewhat “confusing”, as they are troubleshooting things. Pascal has the key on that thread pointed by Tim, but still there was no “straight instructions”, so I wanted to post mine:

Assuming you have a “siteworx account” created for “mydomain.com”:

wget http://updates.interworx.info/scripts/mailman.sh

chmod 755 mailman.sh

yum install python-tools python-devel

Before executing the “mailman.sh” script, you want “lists.mydomain.com” to be a valid subdomain that resolves over the net (insert that ‘lists’ zone in your DNS and make sure it pings/resolves), otherwise the script will alert and stop.

Next make sure that /var/tmp is a good choice for decompressing and compiling Mailman from source, since the mailman.sh script will try to do that on /var/tmp, otherwise edit the script to fit your needs.

Next make sure you edit the mailman.sh script to fit the Mailman version you want. I changed 2.1.5 to 2.1.10 (released a few days ago at this moment, Apr/2008) and everything went OK.

Execute the script:

./mailman.sh mydomain.com

That will install mailman for Interworx/qmail using “lists.mydomain.com”, checking that “lists.mydomain.com” is OK. Follow the prompts.

Using qmail/interworx, ignore messages about editing /etc/aliases (it’s all automatic)

Do NOT ignore the <virtual host> part. Do NOT munge the virtual host inside your existing “mydomain.com.conf” file, just PUT IT ABOVE IT as is said by the mailman.sh script.

Script will give you instructions about web-admin for Mailman. That should work now, create a simple list and begin to test before you play around :wink:

Now the tricky part. The script fails on just one thing:
It creates a “.qmail” file instead of overwriting “.qmail-default” at a very specific location for “vpopmail”:

/home/vpopmail/domains/lists.mydomain.com (note lists.)

The PROBLEM that drove me crazy was because of being ignorant about vpopmail/qmail:

I was ADDING this line from .qmail to .qmail-default, as I was afraid of breaking something :wink: Bad thing. So I had:

|/var/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ...[or something like that]
|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/bin/python /home/mailman/mydomain.com/qmail-to-mailman.py

BAD. You HAVE TO end with .qmail-default having JUST that line:

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/bin/python /home/mailman/mydomain.com/qmail-to-mailman.py

And you can remove the single .qmail file there

So make a backup of /home/vpopmail/domains/lists.mydomain.com/.qmail-default
and test that!

Until I did that, mail messages to lists got bounced to me. After that, everything worked alright. Oh god, thank you …

Just THOSE steps.

Hope it helps!

Juan