Mailman

Okay. Everything seems to be working except that the list address itself fails miserably.

braids@lists.braidsbybreslin.com is a lost cause at the moment.

Did you do something regarding your “/etc/aliases” question? That might explain the problem.

Did you try to vaddaliasdomain lists.braidsbybreslin.com to braidsbybreslin.com? Or some other method of combining these domains in terms of mail? That seems to be the cause of the troubles right now, since when I send mail to that e-mail address you listed, it bouces back as if I had sent it to the @braidsbybreslin.com instead of the @lists.braidsbybreslin.com. For this set up, they must be different.

Paul

[root@server1 bin]# ./vaddaliasdomain braidsbybreslin.com lists.braidsbybreslin.com
Error: Both domains already exist, unable to create alias.

And no I didn’t find the alternative to /etc/aliases.

Well, I haven’t been able to figure out yet why it tries to deliver @lists.braidsbybreslin.com to @braidsbybreslin.com, but I found a work around for you. In the ~vpopmail/domains/braidsbybreslin.com/.qmail-default file, I put:
| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ‘’ $EXT@lists.braidsbybreslin.com

This won’t affect existing mail @braidsbybreslin.com so don’t worry about that.

Paul

Got the following:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at rhl.transwarphosting.net.
I’m afraid I wasn’t able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I’ve given up. Sorry it didn’t work out.

<dchs1994@transwarplists.net>:

<info-staff@transwarplists.net>:

<allstartrek@transwarplists.net>:

— Below this line is a copy of the message.

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:02:31 -0500
From: Tim <tryberg@softhome.net>
To: allstartrek@transwarplists.net, dchs1994@transwarplists.net,
info-staff@transwarplists.net
Subject: Test

This is a test message to these lists

This message was sent from the email address that is the administrator of the list. rhl.transwarphosting.net is the “name” of my machine. While it shows the addresses as listname@transwarplists.net I sent them to listname@lists.transwarplists.net

Any thoughts? Do I have to start the mailman deamon? The site is up and allowing me to create/edit new lists so I assumed it was running.

This looks like the same problem oaf was having. I’m not sure why I didn’t run into this issue actually. Here’s a work around for you to try Tim:

as root:
echo “| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ‘’ $EXT@lists.transwarplists.net” > ~vpopmail/domains/transwarplists.net/.qmail-default

Hi Paul,

I DID have to start the mailman runner, but that didn’t help. I then executed the command you gave (as root) and it has done nothing. No response usually means it did what you told it to, but I am still getting that same error.

Also, I thought that it may be a problem with the email at that domain but it isn’t my listmaster at transwarplists.net works fine.

It did change the bounce message, but now it seems like the mail isn’t making it into mailman’s system. What’s the contents of the /home/vpopmail/domains/lists.transwarplists.net/.qmail-default file?

If you’d like me to help debug on the server you can e-mail the login info to support@interworx.info.

Paul

Paul,

The file in question contains the following:

| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail ‘’ bounce-no-mailbox

That is all.

There is another file sinply titled .qmail containing the following

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/bin/python /home/mailman/transwarplists.net/qmail-to-mailman.py

I have emailed you the server login info and would appreciate anything you can do. Thanks again in advance.

Paul,

I don’t know what you did (but would appreciate your telling me so I can learn something from it) but I just got a TON of mail messages from mailman. All if my list created mails and other administrative things apparently since I installed the thing and tried some tests that never worked.

Things seem to be working correctly now and all I can do is say THANK YOU! You are an asset to your company and whatever they are paying you it isn’t enough.

Sincerely,

Tim Ryberg
Happy Sago/Interworx customer

So now that I’ve gotten Mailman all hooked up my client has decided to go another way and I want to uninstall Mailman.

What’s the fastest, cleanest method to uninstall it?

LOL doesn’t that beat all!?

Anyway, I have no idea how to uninstall something installed from source (short of just deleting the files, but somehow I expect you want to remove all traces). I’m sure it’s nore complicated than uninstalling an RPM.

Better let Paul answer that one.

Paul,

will this script work on CentOS? I would assume so since it’s from source but figured I should ask first.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi there,

I am having a real bad time getting mailman up and running. Following this post (I know it’s a little older), I feel that I am exactly where “timryberg” had been, just before Paul solved it for him.

So, if Paul or Tim are still around they might be able to give a hint and end my odyssee :confused:

OK, mailman seems to run fine. I can create lists and sign up for them. My problem seems to be with aliases and I absolutely don’t understand why a .qmail-default pointing to qmail-to-mailman.py doesn’ work.

Before creating aliases and just using a .qmail-default/.qmail “alias” I didn’ get any error messages, but all mails stayed in the qmail queue. So mails to the list never made it to mailman.

Then I used the following script to create aliases and from there on I received “Sorry, no mailbox here by that name” error messages.

#!/bin/sh
if [ $# = 1 ]; then
    i=$1
    echo Making links to $i in the current directory...
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman post $i" > .qmail-$i
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman admin $i" > .qmail-$i-admin
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman bounces $i" > .qmail-$i-bounces
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman confirm $i" > .qmail-$i-confirm
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman join $i" > .qmail-$i-join
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman leave $i" > .qmail-$i-leave
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman owner $i" > .qmail-$i-owner
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman request $i" > .qmail-$i-request
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman subscribe $i" > .qmail-$i-subscribe
    echo "|preline /var/mailman/wthc.net/mail/mailman unsubscribe $i" > .qmail-$i-unsubscribe
fi

Thanks in advance for any help :wink:

Best regards,

Alex

I had a similar issue and all I know is Paul fixed it. You should not have to created aiases by hand at all. They system makes them for you.

Hi Tim,

good to see, that you are still around :wink:

That’s what I understood reading the post. Paul fixed it somehow. Didn’t you have a look at your system after he fixed it? As far a I understand you provided him with your login?

Well, maybe he will reply too?

Regarding you answer. That’s what I thought too and in the beginning I did not create any aliases, but then all mails to whatever@lists.mydomain.tld ended up in the qmail queue.

I am working on this for the past 3 days, so believe I tried everything I could think of without any success. What makes it even worth, I am quite positive that I am just missing something little… But I don’t know what :frowning:

Thanks for replying. Take care,

Alex

PS: Couldn’t you check what Paul did?

Hi Alex,

To be honest I don’t recall exactly what I did to make it work on Tim’s server - I’m sure it would come back to me though if I started looking at the problem again. If you could foward one of the bounces messages to support@interworx.info, and provide your server’s login info at http://interworx.info/rootdrop I’ll take a look.

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. Sorry, that I didn’t respond earlier, but for some reason I didn’t get a message, that a new message has been posted and I was so busy today that I didn’t have a look anyway.

I start to realise, that interworx is a provider and I have to admit that I am not an Interworx client. I was not aware of that as I Googled directly to the forum. Now I am not sure, if you are even willing to give support.

In case you do: great! If you don’t or can’t I absolutely understand.

Of course I could forward a bounce message, but unfortunately I am not allowed to send you our server’s login. Whatsoever I could describe very detailed what I have currently on the machine.

By now I am very sure, that all this is an alias problem. I’ve added lists.mydomain.tld:mailman to “virtualdomains” and lists.mydomain.tld to rcpthosts. Of course I restarted qmail. As far as I understand qmail should now send mails to whatever@lists.mydomain.tld to the user “mailman”. This users home directory is “/var/mailman”, where my mailman installation resides. There I have a .qmail-default file with “|/usr/bin/python /var/mailman/qmail-to-mailman.py” in it. It seems mails never make it to “qmail-to-mailman.py”?!

However you decide, thanks very much and best regards from Germany,

Alex

PS: With the described szenario I get a “Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)”-message, when I create the domain “lists.mydomain.tld” with the tool vqadmin, having an actual folder /home/vpopmail/domain/lists.mydomain.tld and creating the .qmail-default file there all mails stay in the qmail queue, but no error messages anymore.

Yep I am. I haund these forums because I get to harass the InterWorx developers :wink:

Actually that’s only part of it. I find I get more intelligent technical responses from people on this forum (InterWorx staff AND users) than my data center. Also I am talkint to people who are all using more or less the same environment than I am (Linux of some RedHat variety).

That’s what I understood reading the post. Paul fixed it somehow. Didn’t you have a look at your system after he fixed it? As far a I understand you provided him with your login?

Well, maybe he will reply too?

Regarding you answer. That’s what I thought too and in the beginning I did not create any aliases, but then all mails to whatever@lists.mydomain.tld ended up in the qmail queue.

I am working on this for the past 3 days, so believe I tried everything I could think of without any success. What makes it even worth, I am quite positive that I am just missing something little… But I don’t know what :frowning:

Thanks for replying. Take care,

Alex

PS: Couldn’t you check what Paul did?

Paul has already responded. IIRC now that I think about I think he fixed cron or something like that.

You should not have to edit ANY config files at all, the mailman installer is supposed to do that for you. This is actually the first of two times I’ve had problems. The second time was a prob;em with vPopmail not being confugured quite right by Sago when they installed InterWorx (it was one of the first times they’d done it on CentOs and they installed it AFTER the OS had been installed). I’m sure Paul will figure it out.