Mailman

Hello :slight_smile:

Looking for a mail list manager I thought use :

• mailman
    or
  • sympa

What do you thing about mailman ?
What is the solution for your last pbm ?

I found this tuto about qmail and mailman http://adminblogs.com/steve/articles/326.aspx

For you, should it works on a centos / interworx-cp box ?

finaly, Paul, the link you gave http://nav.bandersnatch.org/clues/qmail-vpopmail-mailman.html is down :\

Thanks for your help and any advises
ps : in fact I thought install sympa (and wwsympa) but if there is knowledge here about mailman it should be better to install it.

Pascal

If I had my chouce I’d use sympa hands down but it’s too complex for me to install at my current technical level (and a lot of the docimentation is in french or scattered english).

Check out http://lists.squidge.org/wws for a sympa mailing list server example.

What do you thing about mailman ?
What is the solution for your last pbm ?

Mailman is okay if you only have one or two lists but if you ruin many lists and each list has users on many lists there is no “MY Mailman” section on the site and each list has it’s own password. (of course there is one master mailman password.

[/quote]

I found this tuto about qmail and mailman http://adminblogs.com/steve/articles/326.aspx

For you, should it works on a centos / interworx-cp box ?
[/QUOTE]

yes I have it installed on CentOS/InterWorx and it works just fine.

Tim

Thanks tim

lol, I prefer SYMPA because it is French. It is not because I am chauvinistic but contrary to you because documentation is in French :slight_smile:

but you right it seems to be very complex to install and more to install with QMAIL.

I’ll do some tests on a test box.

I will shout for help if I have some pbms with mailman :slight_smile:

Tim, do you remember the last solution Paul did on your box to have mailman working ?

Thanks for your help

Hello Paul and tim

Is the pbm oaf, tim and others had was something like this :

add this
|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/local/bin/python /home/mailman/foo/qmail-to-mailman.py

in
~vpopmail/domains/lists.xxxx.com/.qmail-default and not in .qmail ?

Thanks

I’v ran the paul’s script it juts work fine :slight_smile:

The only change I’ve made is in ~vpopmail/domains/lists.xxxx.com/.qmail-default , I added |/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/bin/python /home/mailman/foo/qmail-to-mailman.py

Well everything is working fine but I can’t figure out how to deny the ability to users to create a new list ?

In fact I’d like that only admin was able to create new list from the web interface.

???

Thanks
Pascal

Hi Pascal,

~vpopmail/domains/lists.xxxx.com/.qmail-default and not in .qmail ?

That sounds familiar Pascal, that was probably the problem.

In fact I’d like that only admin was able to create new list from the web interface.

If I recall correctly, the you can’t create a new list unless you know the admin password. Is that not correct?

Paul

Paul,

May I send my mailman website adress by mail. Then could you please try to create a list ?

In fact I’d prefer a tool to generate mails for news / announcements : it why I’ll try to use mailman or ezmlm (see my other post about ezmlm and siteworx api to add automaticly the email of a new siteworx account to a list of annoucement/news)

Thanks

That is corect, the server has a master admin password and anybody who knows it can create a list. If you don’t want others to be able to create a list edit the html pages to remove the link to the create list page and then don’t share the admin password.

Tim

It also looks faniliar to me (though I have no idea what it means; the first time I read it I though it was a permissions problem but the group names do not start with a period).

To answer Pascal’s question the only thing I know is that the first time he fixed it (RedHat9) it was apparently an issue with cron. The second time (CentOS) was a problem withhow qmail was instlled/configured. Not sure more than that.

Hello thanks and soory as I forgot to update this thread to tell that everything is working fine :slight_smile:

Now I’m trying to figure out how add a new email to a list automaticly from a script

I also try to setup a list to use it as an annoucement list, but it should be ok as I found a post about this in the mailman faq

Thanks
Pascal

And also have to say that the Paul installation script work just fine.

Everything was ok the first time

I only change the script to add lines in .qmail-default rather than .qmail
As it is written in the Paul’s web link he gave

So thanks Paul :slight_smile:

Pascal

I just installed Mailman using this script. I guess I need to add the following aliases, but I don’t know how. Help appeciated

mailman mailing list

mailman: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman post mailman”
mailman-admin: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman admin mailman”
mailman-bounces: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman bounces mailman”
mailman-confirm: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman confirm mailman”
mailman-join: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman join mailman”
mailman-leave: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman leave mailman”
mailman-owner: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman owner mailman”
mailman-request: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman request mailman”
mailman-subscribe: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman subscribe mailman”
mailman-unsubscribe: “|/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman”

Please log into your server and navigate to /chroot/home/<uniquename>/var/<domain_name>/mail

Open the file .qmail-default (it will already exist) and REPLACE it’s current contents with the text you have above.

Please understand that this will disable all InterWorx aliases on that domain . If you need other aliases on that domain then put the text above in the file BEFORE the current text and they should work.

I would prefer create every mail then go into /chroot/home/<uniquename>/var/<domain_name>/mail

and edit every mail to put each pipe.

edit
.qmail-mailman and enter |/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman post mailman
.qmail-mailman-admin and enter |/home/mailman/kaustubh.org/mail/mailman admin mailman

etc…

It should work too and let the .qmail-default clean, no ?

Pascal

Multiple Lists

Sorry to open an old thread. My customer has multiple domains they want mailman lists on. Is this script safe to run to have more domains with mailman?

Thanks
Marc