MariaDB

Hi guys,

Just feel like talking about what MariaDB did to my personal server. :wink:

I have been reading a lot of good things about MariaDB since long ago but I didn’t bother to upgrade my personal VPS to it until recently I was so tired of having server errors popup every ~2 days on my xenForo forum (this happens since many months ago and I just didn’t take it too seriously). These server errors are memory related. When my forum dumps these memory errors, that’s when my RAM graph jumped to the toppest (I supposed processes were killed at this time) and then I get “myforum.com is in trouble” email from my server monitoring website. In this case, MySQL was the culprit. I finally seek advice from my hosting provider and agreed to upgrade to MariaDB to see if it does improve my RAM performance.

Below graph shows since May 28 my memory has been so steady and I no longer seeing memory errors on my forum. Prior to this date, the RAM utilisation was so crazy. MariaDB does a really good job, you almost instantly see the result. If anyone hesitates whether to use it on your personal/business interworx/cpanel/etc servers, I urge you to try it out! :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2014-05-31 16.39.46.png

Screenshot 2014-05-30 17.06.23.png

Hi shyuan

Thanks for Sharing and please could you do another update in a month or so, with your thoughts.

Excellent domain myforum.com I thought

Have a lovely weekend

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;25640]Hi shyuan

Thanks for Sharing and please could you do another update in a month or so, with your thoughts.

Excellent domain myforum.com I thought

Have a lovely weekend

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]
John, you misunderstood the “myforum.com” :o it’s just masking my true domain, that domain is not mine at all! :stuck_out_tongue:

I will definitely update this thread about a month later with a graph again to show how stable MariaDB is! :slight_smile:

Hi shyuan

Doh sorry, I can be slow at times sorry.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;25642]Hi shyuan

Doh sorry, I can be slow at times sorry.

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]
Not at all John, you help us a lot most of the time! :slight_smile:

Looks great can you update us like John said in a month or two, I might consider moving Licensecart over to MariaDB if it does a great job.

Hi

It would be interesting to see which compares better, mariadb or perconna

We do not have a ram issue on our systems, but MySQL does use a lot of CPU I think from memory.

Many thanks

John

Sorry to open an old post, Anyone know how this went?

Hi inodecloud

I know it’s possible (sorry, obviously given this post) but shyuan has never updated the post.

On a side note, I believe I read IW are looking at using Mariadb, along side perconna

I could be entirely wrong though, so I apologise in advance

Many thanks

John

Hooray! cant wait for MariaDB or Percona to be part of interworx.

Hi kappy

Yes, would be excellent. I personally like perconna myself.

Although, you have already made it part of IW :smiley:

Have you installed bfd and there’s another price of software which prioritises processes, such as MySQL, http etc… But just cannot remember what it’s called, but will look it up

I’m looking forward to 5.1 release and centos 7.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;27153]Hi inodecloud

I know it’s possible (sorry, obviously given this post) but shyuan has never updated the post.

On a side note, I believe I read IW are looking at using Mariadb, along side perconna

I could be entirely wrong though, so I apologise in advance

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Yeah MariaDB in Centos 7, Perconna is for the InterWorx stuff. Not sure if 5.1 stuff is for both Centos 7 and Centos 6.

Hi mike

Sorry, I thought I’d read 5.1 is for centos6 as centos7 next beta will not be released until after 5.1.

Many thanks

John

This is literally a dream come true :slight_smile:

Looks like MariaDB works rather nicely… I just did a MySQL to MariaDB migration on the InterWorx server I have.

Only issue I had was getting MariaDB to start. The issue was resolved by commenting out

pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

. Once that was sorted, MariaDB successfully started.

Also performed mysql_upgrade so that MySQL databases were properly set to work with MariaDB. So far, seeing a pretty good drop in heavy usage after the switch. Less of an issue with MySQL now on our server, I hope… but I’ll be monitoring how things go.

Incidentally… I have a feeling this was a very bad idea on my part because InterWorx is most likely already working on a MySQL-MariaDB setup for CentOS 6.x

Hi kerio

Kudos

You are correct though, IW should be already running Maria db

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28089]Hi kerio

Kudos

You are correct though, IW should be already running Maria db

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Not in my case. If there was a button to switch to MariaDB for MySQL, I did not see it. I realized that MariaDB wasn’t active when I tried to import a DB from a MariaDB-enabled cPanel server. As you can imagine, it failed to import. So I did the switch from MySQL to MariaDB. A second attempt in importing the DB then passed successfully upon switching.

Maybe I should have IW check it over, just to be sure, though…

Hi kerio

Apologies, Maria db is in centos 7, not centos 6

Many thanks

John

Today my interworx server with 400 sites successfully upgraded tp mariadb 10.0 and everything is smooth. Will update if any problem. So far so good. All wordpress, Joomla, Magento sites are working fine.