Migration

I am in need of some advice, and am having a hard time getting a response through support. I’m guessing the boys at Interworx are working on a new release or something, because in the past they’ve been really good at replying to support tickets. Anyway, I’m hoping someone in the community can help.

I’m moving my Interworx license from my current server to a new server in another datacenter (so new server & new IP). To do this, I have done the following so far:

• Installed CentOS 5 on my new server (the old Interworx server had RedHat 9.0).
  • Set the hostname on the new server to be the same as the old server’s.
  • Installed Interworx on the new server using the Interworx install script.
  • Installed a new Interworx license for the new server, so that I can keep the old one up while I migrate.
  • Used ‘UPDATE dns_records SET ttl=200;’ in the iworx sql db to update the TTL on the old server for all records to 200, from the default 43200 value.

Now, I need to know what steps to follow next to ensure a clean migration with no downtime for my users. I need to copy the data over (which the Interworx mass transfer script can do for me), but then I may not ‘go live’ on the new server immediately (unless I know beforehand which steps to follow next, which I don’t at the moment), so I’d need to know how to do an ‘incremental’ full backup of web data, sql DBs and mail (or do I re-do the mass transfer script?). Then, do I just go to my domain registrar and change the Nameservers to point to my new domain’s IP, and shut off the old server?

Can someone fill me in on the exact process you’d follow for all this?

Hi int,

We are indeed hard at work, and we’re not trying to ignore you, promise :), it’s just that this question is a big one and the answers vary depending on how things are set up.

The first question is, how is DNS set up for these domains? Are they all using the same nameservers? Are the nameservers they’re using hosted on the interworx box? Is the domain that “own’s” the nameservers one of the domain’s you’ll be migrating, or is it seperate?

Paul

[quote=IWorx-Paul;15811]Hi int,

We are indeed hard at work, and we’re not trying to ignore you, promise :), it’s just that this question is a big one and the answers vary depending on how things are set up.

The first question is, how is DNS set up for these domains? Are they all using the same nameservers? Are the nameservers they’re using hosted on the interworx box? Is the domain that “own’s” the nameservers one of the domain’s you’ll be migrating, or is it seperate?

Paul[/quote]

Thanks Paul - and sorry for the trouble!

As far as the DNS goes, all the sites are using the same 3 nameservers (which actually all point to the same IP! kind of useless). The nameservers they’re using are ns01.domain.com, ns02.domain.com, ns03.domain.com, all being hosted on the Interworx box. Yes, the domain that “owns” the nameservers is part of the batch of domains that will be migrating from the old server to the new one.

I noticed in DNS Servers --> Zones --> Domain, in the Records for each domain, both A records point to the old server’s actual IP. Is there a way to change this globally once the migration is complete? Like by editing the SQL DB?

And if anyone else can chime in on what else would be involved, please do! I have only a few more days left to get this migration completed.

Kind of disappointing that no one was here to help me in my time of need =/ Anyway, I ended up figuring it all out on my own.

If anyone is ever going through a similar situation and needs some guidance, feel free to ask me.

Hi int,

Could you fill us in on what you did?

I am going to be moving from one host to another this week, same details are you mentioned except that I’m going from centos to centos. nameservers, etc, are all the same setup as yours, though.

My plan was t:

• mass edit the TTLs of all domains to 200
  • use the migration script
  • change the domain that ‘owns’ my nameservers to my new server IP
  • mass edit the TTLs of all domains to change A records to IP of the new server

Then to try to keep things in sync:

• imapsync mailboxes between the servers
  • disable ftp on the old server
  • figure out a way to lock mysql or something, on the old server

Am I missing anything, or does something not make sense? It’s almost 2am here so forgive me…