Moving webistes

Hello all … I have a quick questions here with either falls under the Interworx subject or Wordpress.

Basically I have created a new Wordpress site in a sub folder off of my main internworx default directory. When i switch to the new site… Is it possible to change the default web directoryin internworx… Or should I backup the WP site… Reinstall into the default folder and then restore the site.?

suggestions… I just didn’t see a way to change the default folder in IW without using a redirect…

thanks for suggestions…

K

Hi Kolson

Welcome to IW forums

The best way would be to install WP in the default folder (softaculous 1 click installer installs in less then 1 minute)

I would not advise to change IW default folder

You could place a redirect to new folder from default folder, but this would add a very small delay)

Many thanks

John

Similar question posed by a web designer to me recently on my gogreendomains.com.au support service

i recommended the following
step 1 - fresh WordPress install in default directory
step 2 - either clone and restore WordPress site using a WordPress plugin like clone wp or in softaculous you can use the create staging function then remove the original this is a cheat way and not the staging functions intended purpose but does work to achieve what your asking with minimal fuss.

But avoid changing your default directory as this can impact many unknown factors not only now but in the future can not agree more with the super moderator on this one

Good Luck

Hey
I think install WP in the default folder - is the best solution

I know it is a bit late reply but for future reference, in Wordpress General settings, set correct [new] url. save, logout, move all files to your new folder [main default] login as admin. go to Permalinks and remember what you have chosen before, change it, save, change it back, save again and all is done. In the case you have made some hard links to the previous folder install the plug-in: Better Search Replace select all databases do a dry run, if your happy go for it and replace old path with new. You might also want to check your .htaccess file if you can’t login and if you have Wordfence installed change the path as well in the files [manually]
Cheers,
Nico.

1 Like