Nameserver HowTo Now Available

The long awaited rewrite of my old custom nameserver howto is finally available:

http://www.interworx.com/support/docs/iworx-cp/dns-guide/howto-author-custom-nameservers

This is an almost complete rewrite from the ground up increasing both accuracy and clairity over all previous drafts.

For those who don’t know what I am talking about, it explains to anyone with a domain name how to create their own ns1. and ns2.mydomain.com DNS nameservers to avoid using the generic ones provided by your DC or registrar.

This is the second of four parts or original content addressing one of our most common questions: How to set up and manage DNS. Even though it isn’t an InterWorx problem per-se, it is still something that I personally and the rest of the Iworx team have fielded questions on too many times to count :wink:

• Part 1 which was released a couple weeks ago went through the process of DNS lookup and explained it in in terms the layman can understand.
  • Part 2 takes the reader through the process of registering and setting up their own custom nameserver.
  • Part 3 (NO ETA right now) will take the user through the process of troubleshooting a non functional DNS through command line tools such as nslookup and whois, as well as web dns tools such as dnsreport.com and dnsstuff.com
  • Part 4 (NO ETA) will build on the rest of it and teach the user how to sync the dns between two Iworx servers (or an IWorx server and another server running DJBDNS) for redundancy.
  • These along with the existing docs explaining how to manage DNS with your InterWorx server are collectively called our [B]DNS Guide[/B].
I hope you're happy with what you see and feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

As a side note, we synced the website again so there are various other minor improvements to the faq and doc sections of the site, most notably a “linkified” faq section and a restructured troubleshooting guide, along with various formatting and text improvemnts since the last sync.

One of my primarty reponsibilities is the webside and docs so look for more frequent updates than we have had inthat past :slight_smile:

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Looks like your unoffical stuff is now all legit!! Nice work Tim :smiley:

Cool

In you DNS guide it might also have : “how to create DNS servers for your reselers” :-p

Pascal

Tim,

for your info

If you are planning to host county specific domains (for example “.ru” “.fr” or “.nl”) you will need to use IPs in two different class C ranges

For .FR it is Not really true. It’s not YOU NEED but it is recommanded. There is only a warning if you’r not.

See zonecheck For my own dns servers. All registrar in France use this to test/validate dns.

Pascal

Yeah, Justin, most of my formerly “unofficial” stuff is now here on the site in some way shape or form now.

Thanks for the clairification, Pascal, I’ve revised the following part of the purpose paragraph:

This document will take the reader through the steps of creating their own DNS nameserver. This is primarily applicable for system administrators, but can also be used by resellers. Or system administrators can perform these steps to create DNS servers for their resellers.

and revised the note mentioned accordingly:

If you are planning to host county specific domains (for example “.ru” “.fr” or “.nl”) you will need to use IPs in two different class C ranges. This is not absolutely required for all countries (“.fr” for example it is recommened but not required), but it is a good idea to plan ahead unless you want to have to create additional nameservers or chang their IPs at a later date.

Good work Tim!

Thanks, glad you like it :slight_smile:

Figured I’d tag my questions to this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been using custom nameserver for a while, but just don’t feel I truly understand it.

I have registered ns1/2.mydomain.com in the “Nameserver Registration” part of my registrar. I also created regular sub domains ns1/1.mydomain.com to the same IP as the Nameserver Registration.

Basically Im just wondering what the difference is and what I am actually doing when using the Nameserver Registration part of it.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay in responding to this Justin. Haven’t been around as much as I’d like the last month or so.

[quote=Justec;14200]Figured I’d tag my questions to this thread instead of starting a new one. I have been using custom nameserver for a while, but just don’t feel I truly understand it.

I have registered ns1/2.mydomain.com in the “Nameserver Registration” part of my registrar. I also created regular sub domains ns1/1.mydomain.com to the same IP as the Nameserver Registration.

Basically Im just wondering what the difference is and what I am actually doing when using the Nameserver Registration part of it.[/quote]

What you’ve in essence done is what I described in the doc as creating an A record for the nameservers. In my experience this was only necessary if you were moving everything from one box to the other

ie my old server had ns1/ns2.mysite.com and I needed to create a new set of nameservers on a different set of IP’s such as ns1/ns2.iworx.mysite.com when mysite.com was still pointed to the OLD server. I created those A records on the OLD box to point to the IP’s on the new box to get the system to take the nameservers, and on the new server for consistency’s sake.

Long story short you aren’t hurting anything and you don’t necessarily need physical subdomains, just A records.