network bond

Guys,

Has anybody tried using bond as the main ethernet connection. I have it setup, but I’m getting problems when I activate the firewall.

Please help.

-John Brand

Hi

Did you see this ?
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bond-or-team-multiple-network-interfaces-nic-into-single-interface.html

It mights help you

Paul

[quote=johnbrand;15197]Guys,

Has anybody tried using bond as the main ethernet connection. I have it setup, but I’m getting problems when I activate the firewall.

Please help.

-John Brand[/quote]

Could you please tell us what kind of problems you get, any errors messages ?

Paul

I am testing it for a couple of days now and the main problem is that the ip aliasses get lost. Then I need to restart iworx and they are back.

Where can I find some log files from the firewall, because I cant find any info why it is blocking. But when I start APF the server stops responding.

-John

What you can do is to set the APF on the debug mode, start it, then take a look at the logs
Don’t forget to set off back the debug option

vi /etc/apf/conf.apf

and set DEVM=“1” rather than 0

Set firewall dev cronjob

1 = enabled / 0 = disabled

DEVM=“0”

Be sure the APF firewall is started

apf -s

you can check the logs here

/var/logs/apf_log

ps: le debug mode is just a rule that flush all firewall rules every 5mn

ps2: your problem is surely a link one. Look at the /etc/apf/conf.apf file and maybe set your ETH name to bond0 or something like this (as you did set it in /etc/sysconfig/netw…script/…)
Paul

Thanx Netipro,

Your fix with apf worked. There is a line saying IF=“eth0” and needs to be changed to [SIZE=1]IF=“bond0”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Then it works.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Also I needed to fix the problem about losing the alias over night. I now added the alias in a “ifcfg-bond0:0” file, maybe now it keeps working.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]“ifcfg-bond0” looks like this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]DEVICE=bond0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]IPADDR=84.244.000.000[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]NETMASK=255.255.255.224[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]GATEWAY=84.244.000.000[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]ONBOOT=yes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]BOOTPROTO=none[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]USERCTL=no[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]TYPE=Ethernet[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]“ifcfg-bond0:0”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]DEVICE=bond0:0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]IPADDR=84.244.000.000[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]NETMASK=255.255.255.224[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]ONBOOT=yes[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Did I make some mistakes or would this probably work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]-John[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[quote=johnbrand;15215]Thanx Netipro,

Your fix with apf worked. There is a line saying IF=“eth0” and needs to be changed to [SIZE=1]IF=“bond0”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Then it works.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][/SIZE][/quote]

Happy to know we did help you

[SIZE=1]

[SIZE=1]Also I needed to fix the problem about losing the alias over night. I now added the alias in a “ifcfg-bond0:0” file, maybe now it keeps working.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]“ifcfg-bond0” looks like this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]“ifcfg-bond0:0”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]Did I make some mistakes or would this probably work.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]-John[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

It should indeed solve your pbm

Let us know :wink:

Just for our information, about network Bond, why do you use it (load balancing, …) ?

Paul[/SIZE]

We made our network redundant. And well, you know. There are 3 network outlets in the iworx servers, so why not use 2 network connections and create a redundant network system. So we just use it for backup to a different part of our network.

And I really hope the problem with the disapearing network alias overnight is solved.

-John

[quote=johnbrand;15220]
And I really hope the problem with the disapearing network alias overnight is solved.

-John[/quote]

Hi John

Just for my personal information, is it solved ?

Paul

Sorry for my late reply.

Yes it is solved. It works like a charm.

-John