New Secondary Domain Default Files Get 755 Permissions?

I noticed that when a Siteworx user creates a secondary domain, default index.html and robots.txt files are created in the new domain’s /html folder. On our server, running Interworx v. 6.x, the two files get 755 permissions instead of the 644 permissions I would expect for files on a Linux system. Is that intended behavior, or is that a bug?

By the way, I love the index.html placeholder file that Interworx v. 6.x creates! I laugh every time I see one of them. It never gets old.

Hi

@linux4me @IWorx-Jenna - Yes I believe this has been raised a while ago and added to bug report, which I thought was corrected so it set 644

I could be wrong though sorry but I do remember file perms on secondary accounts been raised in old forums

Many thanks

John

Hello–

Index files on both the secondary and primary domains are automatically 755:

[root@jenna3 home]# cd domainco/public_html/
[root@jenna3 public_html]# ls -la
total 96
drwx--s--x 3 domainco domainco    54 Nov 10 17:37 .
drwx--s--x 4 domainco domainco    36 Nov 14 15:47 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 domainco domainco     6 Nov 10 17:37 cgi-bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 domainco domainco 93113 Nov 10 17:37 index.html
-rwxr-xr-x 1 domainco domainco   816 Nov 10 17:37 robots.txt
[root@jenna3 public_html]# cd ..
[root@jenna3 domainco]# cd perms.com/html/
[root@jenna3 html]# ls -la
total 96
drwx--s--x 3 domainco domainco    54 Nov 28 10:09 .
drwx--s--x 4 domainco domainco    36 Nov 28 10:09 ..
drwxr-sr-x 2 domainco domainco     6 Nov 28 10:09 cgi-bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 domainco domainco 93111 Nov 28 10:09 index.html
-rwxr-xr-x 1 domainco domainco   816 Nov 28 10:09 robots.txt
[root@jenna3 html]# pwd
/home/domainco/perms.com/html
[root@jenna3 html]#

I’m not certain the specifics as to why that is the case, though. I’ll follow up with the dev team and let you know after the weekend. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
-Jenna
Friendly Neighborhood InterWorx Support Manager

1 Like

Thanks @d2d4j and @IWorx-Jenna. I’m glad it’s not just me. I will wait to hear from you.

@linux4me I asked about this today: it appears to be a hold-over from when we used mod_php. With mod_php, files needed to be read by Apache and the SiteWorx user had to be able to read and execute things.

I’ve opened a ticket to consider other options now that we default to suphp and php-fpm, which do not suffer from the same limitations.

1 Like

Thanks @iworx-brandon. I appreciate it. I don’t think the elevated permissions for those two files would do any harm, but I try to be cautious with file permissions on servers that host more than one account.