ohhh cPanel

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/23/2218254

Clint

ahhhhhhh I love it. :slight_smile:

(you can remove this if you need to) :slight_smile:

http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/0302-exploits/DSR-cpanel.c

It was an ā€˜interestingā€™ weekend watching the various sites, to say the least.

In a way I feel for them, having said that though, it appears that Cpanel supposed strategy of ā€˜features, featuers, featuresā€™ has finally hurt them. Instead of gaining market share by pertaining to be the most feature-rich CP, they ought now concentrate on security. Howeversometimes you wonder whether they will.

Never mind. I know where my bread is buttered :wink:

I probably shouldnā€™t commentā€¦ but I will.

It sucks that hostgator was targeted. Iā€™m sure they had a ****ty weekend and quite a lot of cleanup due to this. I hope it doesnā€™t impact their business.

I initially was happy that cPanel got a patch out to help the guys and things seemed like they were getting cleaned up from cPanelā€™s end regarding this patch, until I saw a post from a person claiming to be from BlueHost, who reportedly helped out hostgator complaining of yet more holes in cPanel that were going unpatched.

Of course I canā€™t cooberate any of this but I do hope cPanel gets any outstanding issues patched as all hosting companies DONā€™T need is more time-sucking and client-losing hassles.

Chris

True, but any people moving from a cPanel host to an InterWorx host, or from having a server with cPanel on to one with IWorx on canā€™t be bad :smiley:

ā€¦ I do hope cPanel gets any outstanding issues patched as all hosting companies DONā€™T need is more time-sucking and client-losing hassles.
I wish/hope that cpanel gets more issues like these (or even worse) regularly, so that ALL hosts leave cpanel and decide to start using a control panel, preferably InterWorx. :wink:

I will be concerned with the downtime for the end-users during the switch, but it will be all for their good. :wink:

[quote=tiger;10083]I wish/hope that cpanel gets more issues like these (or even worse) regularly, so that ALL hosts leave cpanel and decide to start using a control panel, preferably InterWorx. :wink:

I will be concerned with the downtime for the end-users during the switch, but it will be all for their good. ;)[/quote]

I wasnā€™t gonna comment on this either but I agree with Chris, itā€™s the customer who will suffer for this. We donā€™t want good fortune at the expense of someone else.

For whatever reason (be a features or name recognition), many users demand cPanel or at least thatā€™s the impression that a lot of hosts have (Iā€™ve often doubed it was a reality). The first rule of any company is ā€œgive the customer what they wantā€ and these hosts are just doing what the customer wants or what they believe the customer wants.

I donā€™t wish this problem on anybody, and really feel for the effected customers.

gets off soapbox

Now speaking for myself personally, this is yet another reason why I will never run a cPanel box.

Iā€™ve noticed this a bitā€¦ Mostly (at least what Iā€™ve experienced) itā€™s because of two reasons:
a) Their last host used it, so theyā€™re used to it
b) Itā€™s the only ā€œnameā€ they know of in the hosting control panel area business

1 Like

[quote=Fr3d;10089]Iā€™ve noticed this a bitā€¦ Mostly (at least what Iā€™ve experienced) itā€™s because of two reasons:
a) Their last host used it, so theyā€™re used to it
b) Itā€™s the only ā€œnameā€ they know of in the hosting control panel area business[/quote]

This is true, at least to a point. Iā€™ve met more than one person who didnā€™t know that any other control panels (at least not any good ones) existed. Met one guy once who thought he only had two choices: cPanel and Ensim, until I pointed out InterWorx, DiractAdamin, Plesk, and Helm. Wonder what happened to him.

These days however with the abount of marketing out there Plesk and CP+ are probably at least as known.

I can tell you all something else. Both before coming on staff here and since, Iā€™ve met many hosts who have left cPanel for InterWorx and with very few exceptions, once the clients got used to it they liked it better. Those that didnā€™t, it was because of some feature or features we didnā€™t support: Multidomain, Tomcat, FrontPage, Postegree, etc. Of course eventually most/all these objections will be silenced as more features are added.

EDIT: For clairification: This post wasnā€™t meant to list upcoming featores or imply that anything has changed with FrontPage. This wonā€™t be added unless a way can be found to do so stablely and securely.

All Iā€™ll say is that Iā€™ve had to repair machines that have been ravaged by cPanel. Never had to do that with IWorx :slight_smile:

As a host and a user I have found most users don;t mind what the control panel is as long as it does what they want. The only feature I was losing clients over was Front Page and truthfully thatā€™s not the case anymore.

Some of the front page people I build a site around a simple CMS for them and now they love that all they have to do to update there site is goto the browser. If they want to change the look of the site a simple template file is edited in Dreamweaver (since it has FTP I got some people to move over to it if they just had to have WYSIWYG.)

I know this is off topic but just in response to some replies. Anyway I hope the holes are patched fast for the end users sake.

More off topic: Anyway looking forward to the next replease hope its soon.

Iā€™m just astounded that after all these years & features cPanel STILL donā€™t have an ā€œare you sure you wanā€™t to do thisā€ after you click the delete MySQL database link. I did this accidentally after hilighting the database name to copy next to it. Oh and in my opinion the whole look and feel is rubbish. The new skin is pretty poor too.

I do feel sorry for them though as I know whats its like to be a developer of software that has exploits found. I get a very renound 3d party security auditor to check each major release now. Christmas day and holidays will be less stressful. When a hacker does their stuff you can garantee it is at the least convenient time.

IW is so friendly. :slight_smile: Keep upthe good work. :slight_smile:

[quote=godboko;10105]As a host and a user I have found most users don;t mind what the control panel is as long as it does what they want. The only feature I was losing clients over was Front Page and truthfully thatā€™s not the case anymore.

[/quote]

BINGO, that has been my experience as well. But I do have some that still demand FrontPage with Extensions. One reason I recently added a Windows server.