PHP 6 and InterWorx Control Panel - The Future

I would like to open up discussion of PHP 6, and the benefits that PHP 6 will provide to developers.

I would also like to discuss PHP 6 and InterWorx. What the current plans are to support PHP 6 in the future. And if so when could PHP 6 be supported by InterWorx.

Thoughts as to a transition that allows SiteWorx Accounts at set up the choice of PHP 5 or PHP 6. could that be in the future?

Paul what are you thoughts in regards to PHP 6 and Future InterWorx releases?

Hey Roy! Sorry we missed you at HostingCon.

PHP6 won’t be coming anytime soon, unfortunately. The work in progress has been moved to a branch, and some of the features are being ported to PHP 5.4 instead. My understanding of it is that there was some drama surrounding the switch to UFT-16, and it became a royal pain to work with, and then everything went kablooie. Or something.

Anyway, InterWorx will continue to support the versions of PHP that ship with distributions we consider to be “supported”. As such, when RHEL6 hits, we’ll be supporting PHP 5.3, since that’s what ships.

As far as multiple versions of PHP alongside each other…well, that’s not currently possible. It’s something that’s been considered, but there’s not exactly a clamor for it.

So, it certainly could be in the future! Start a clamor, and see where it takes us :slight_smile:

Tim

Hi Tim

Yeah, I am sorry I missed you guys as well. I was only there on Monday, unfortunately had to get back and couldn’t stay longer.

I did try to get access to the exhibit floor but the “floor guards” stopped me and would let me in, was coming to look you guys up. Was sent up stairs to find the person that could let me pass in but I ran out of time. So hopefully next year in San Diego.

Well that is interesting stuff, I know PHP 6.0 is still a ways off, but hey maybe start talking about it now will be beneficial in some way. Or maybe I have more time on my hands than normal.

But just curious as to what is known now about PHP 6, in theory what would PHP 6 allow you guys do that couldn’t be done with 5.x. Not sure if that is a question that can be even asked yet.

Clamor clamor!

[QUOTE=IWorx-Tim-Pgh;17384]
Anyway, InterWorx will continue to support the versions of PHP that ship with distributions we consider to be “supported”. As such, when RHEL6 hits, we’ll be supporting PHP 5.3, since that’s what ships.

As far as multiple versions of PHP alongside each other…well, that’s not currently possible. It’s something that’s been considered, but there’s not exactly a clamor for it.

So, it certainly could be in the future! Start a clamor, and see where it takes us :slight_smile:

Tim[/QUOTE]

Clamor clamor clamor clamor! I think support for multiple co-existing versions of PHP would be a GREAT feature. Potentially invaluable. Perhaps even per siteworx account or site? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I really do think this is a great idea. At different times over the years I know this has been a thorn in my side.