PostgreSQL support

I am looking for CP’s and one with PostgreSQL support in particular. It seems that support for this DB is not high on the priority list for additional features…has that changed recently?

Also few other CP’s that don’t support PostgreSQL directly have plugins for PostgreSQL but I haven’t seen anything like that for Interworx. Does anyone know of one out there?

Hello,

Thanks for your interest!

Our priority list is driven by user requests and how usefull we believe a feature will be for the average user (and how complicated it would be to code, but it’s really more the first two).

Most datbases which work on PostgreeSQL also work on MySQL, AND it’s been nearly two years since we had more than sporadic requests for it. I’m sure it will be added eventually, but right now there are other features which have a higher priority. If you have more friends who need this, have them come and post so on the forums and maybe it will go up on the priority list.

Also few other CP’s that don’t support PostgreSQL directly have plugins for PostgreSQL but I haven’t seen anything like that for Interworx. Does anyone know of one out there?

We don’t have plugins, if we support something it will be there on install.

Thanks for the quick reply, And unfortunately it’s just me at the moment looking for the feature :slight_smile:

Personally I think it’s a shame that MySQL is so popular on CP’s and pgsql is not. It is their stated policy to not be compliant with the ANSI SQL specification. MySQL is catching up to pgsql in terms of features (such as stored procedures), but those features have been in pgsql for years, better tested, more robust. MySQL is better at marketing, but pgsql is the better piece of software.

Sorry we can’t be of more help to you right now. Best of luck!

Actually I chose DA over Interworx for pgsql support

MySQL is better at marketing, but pgsql is the better piece of software.
I don’t know much about mysql or pgsql by feature wise. But I know of a company that only know/does marketing and the are having success (for them) for years. I guess mysql is like M$ and pgsql is like Linux. (may be mysql isn’t that much bad…) :slight_smile: :wink:

M$ is having the markering power that every time they release their next version, they gain 90+% of market share within years (I wish that every time they loose the battle with their new version, but it never happend and they succeed since with 95; I wish this doesn’t continue this time, but despite my hope and their huge requirement of 2GB ram, it seems still they are going to win the battle; and they will win even with a requirement of 20GB ram) :slight_smile: :wink:

PS: I always wonder what they do for that much bloat; may be they just do some dummy loops inside the code here and there for wasting cpu time; and likewise for other resources (ram, hdd etc).

You still talking about MS Windows here or MySQL?

Windows is indeed bloatware as they don’t seem to want to remove anything – believe it or not a fresh Windows XP install will still have the Windows 3.1x file manager :wink:

Windows Vista is a fresh rewrite of the code from the ground up, so that stuff should be gone, but I’m sure they will find a way to bloat it too :wink: shakes head at the nearly 1gb required for XP install vs the 75mb for a Win95 install

As for MySQL/PgSQL, they are just two competing database formats (though MySQL is available commercially, not sure about PgSQL). Nothling like MS. It’s simply more popular.

A Better example might be in a CMS for maybe Nuke/PostNuke vs something like Drupal/CivicSpace – They both do more or less the same things (with some variations) and Drupal/CS is arguably better software, but Nuke is still more popular.

By M$, I meant MS Win (talked about the same even in the previous paragraph).

As for MySQL/PgSQL, … Nothling like MS. It’s simply more popular.
I already told “(may be mysql isn’t that much bad…)” , probably should have avoided “that much”. :wink: