Pre-Sales Questions

I’ve been using cPanel for many years and I’m considering switching some of my hosting company infrastructure to interworx servers but I have some questions. I’ve read the docs but they aren’t as technically detailed as I’d hoped…

• Does Litespeed web server integrate well with interworx as it does with cPanel?
  • Does Interworx clustering do load balancing or is it just for redundancy? How do each of the clustering services for interworx work?
  • Is MySQL clustering just the ability to move users to remote MySQL servers?
  • Does interworx support Centos7 and Cloudlinux7?
  • Can a MariaDB Galera cluster (For load balancing) be setup to work with interworx (Assuming interworx doesn't already do database load balancing)?
  • Will all of the Litespeed products work with interworx?
  • Can the Litespeed Load Balancer work with interworx or is it not necessary with interworx's clustering?
  • 5.1 is the current interworx version, correct?
  • Are licenses for a DNS cluster free? I read a post that said this can be done without paying for extra licenses.
  • Does PHP7 work with interworx?
  • Does interworx support SNI with Apache and/or Litespeed?
  • Can nginx be used for caching in front of Apache and/or Litespeed?
  • Does LetsEncrypt work with interworx?

Thank you.

Hi synthetisoft

Welcome to IW forums

I can answer some but not all sorry, and I’ll let IW know to read this post. You may want to email IW directly - support(at)interworx.com though

Light speed does not have a full plugin like cpanel - but licensecart started a litespeed thread for a fuller integration into IW as cpanel has, which I’m not sure how far on they are however, litespeed does integrate into IW but I believe it needs php recompiling I think

Yes, IW does load balancing as well as redundancy - Infact, IW do high availability clustering, with 2 masters (you need to contact IW for more detail, and I was a beta on it, worked absolutely lovely - pulled power leads out of main master, and secondary immediately took over)

IW do not offer MySQL clustering, instead, you can setup your own independent MySQL (clustered or standalone) and IW will use your MySQL if you tell IW cp you have one

Yes centos7 supported - don’t know about cloud Linux7, previous cloudlinux yes

Mariadb same as MySQL answer I think

Sorry, I have never tried litespeed

Litespeed clustering not needed with IW I believe

Yes IW latest version is 5.1 (but variant versions between stable through to beta - beta not for production use though)

IW do not do DNS only versions. However a 1 user license covers this and is free, but you need to contact an IW reseller to get one

Yes, I read on forum php7 works with IW (justec posted this week over php7), but there are no ioncube loaders available for php7 as yet

I am not sure over nginx, I read about a year or so ago, IW were working on this but not heard since, certainly over proxies do

Yes, lets encrypt works lovely

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28491]Hi synthetisoft

Welcome to IW forums

I can answer some but not all sorry, and I’ll let IW know to read this post. You may want to email IW directly - support(at)interworx.com though

Light speed does not have a full plugin like cpanel - but licensecart started a litespeed thread for a fuller integration into IW as cpanel has, which I’m not sure how far on they are however, litespeed does integrate into IW but I believe it needs php recompiling I think

Yes, IW does load balancing as well as redundancy - Infact, IW do high availability clustering, with 2 masters (you need to contact IW for more detail, and I was a beta on it, worked absolutely lovely - pulled power leads out of main master, and secondary immediately took over)

IW do not offer MySQL clustering, instead, you can setup your own independent MySQL (clustered or standalone) and IW will use your MySQL if you tell IW cp you have one

Yes centos7 supported - don’t know about cloud Linux7, previous cloudlinux yes

Mariadb same as MySQL answer I think

Sorry, I have never tried litespeed

Litespeed clustering not needed with IW I believe

Yes IW latest version is 5.1 (but variant versions between stable through to beta - beta not for production use though)

IW do not do DNS only versions. However a 1 user license covers this and is free, but you need to contact an IW reseller to get one

Yes, I read on forum php7 works with IW (justec posted this week over php7), but there are no ioncube loaders available for php7 as yet

I am not sure over nginx, I read about a year or so ago, IW were working on this but not heard since, certainly over proxies do

Yes, lets encrypt works lovely

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Do you or anyone have any information perhaps based on your experience using the system what sort of clustering each service uses? I see you can set round robin on the load balancer server but it doesn’t show what the other options are. Does it differ per-service? I think out of the box interworx clusters:

• HTTP
  • DNS
  • SMTP ?
  • IMAP/POP3 ?
  • Storage is expanded across servers ?

I am looking at the docs and diagrams. They look promising. Another question is: Is my public facing load balancing server suppose to have super great resources and speed or should it be more of a routing machine and the clusters need the resources? I just got some new dedis with great resources and I’m not sure one of those should be the load balancing server or a member of my cluster and just use a VPS for the load balancer.

Hi synthetisoft

Yes, you can set differently for each service, from round robin to least less in use (sorry it’s early and cannot remember it’s correct term)

You can set for https, imaps pops etc…

Your DNS is covered by the nameservers the domain is set to use, so is not involved in master, and you can do this on standalone IW to another DNS server

Storage is always a question asked, and it depends upon your setup, or intended setup. The storage is not spread accross your servers though, it is always held on the master cluster, unless you use NFS for /chroot/home

I myself would use the best server for cluster manager, with the highest drive space, as this will be your storage, and create a /chroot for home to use (clustering needs to use chroot), then your cluster nodes do not need to be high powered, large space etc… just powerful enough to run the service on, and you can have separate cluster nodes for just 1 service, such as pop and another for http etc or tell the cluster node to use more then 1 service, such as pop and http, and load balancing can be defined for each service, even if the cluster nodes are unique to one service or use multiple services

Lastly, to save bandwidth costs, I would make the clusters run on internal network, so only the cluster manager has access to external network, but you decide how you want it setup.

If you then feel the cluster manage is the weak point, and you need high availability, contact IW and ask them about high availability clustering, so it is no longer a weak point.

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

It would be great to see an official statement about nginx! Same as John, I heard about a year ago but no official news.

it probably wouldn’t be too hard to get nginx caching for static content working with interworx. I wouldn’t want to use it as the main web server though. I like apache directives and rewrites. Litespeed is very fast. I don’t like paying so much for it but you really can’t beat it, especially for a drop-in replacement for apache. I’m going to go ahead and give interworx a try. cPanel doesn’t scale at all and you can hardly customize it outside of WHM without breaking things.

I can recommend IW, we are using about 7-8 years without any problem, we really like it! (A PostgreSQL support is missing for us, it would be great to manage inside NodeWorx but works well separately.)

I could use some help with this if anyone would be so kind as to comment: http://forums.interworx.com/threads/8444-DNS-Node-Help-Needed