ProFTP is broken after 1.9.2 upgrade

I just noticed my FTP server is refusing connections, but I’m not sure why. I know it was working before the 1.9.2 upgrade, but since I generally use scp, I haven’t tried FTP in a while. (oops)

If I try to connect to the localhost, or from an external IP, I get this message immediately:

ftp localhost

Connected to localhost.localdomain.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>
When I looked in the proftpd.conf file, I noticed this line:

SQLConnectInfo iworx_ftp@127.0.0.1:2306 iworx <<IWORXDBPASS>>
Surely that can’t be right, but I don’t know what to replace <<IWORXDBPASS>> with. :confused:

I think I have corrected the problem…

I found the dsn="" line in /home/interworx/iworx.ini. By replacing <<IWORXDBPASS>> with the autogenerated password defined in the DSN, ProFTP started accepting connections again.

I assume from my success that both MySQL usernames iworx and iworx_ftp are defined with the same password. However, is it correct to have the password defined in /etc/proftpd.conf in clear text? Is my fix not the best one?

Hi Jimp,

The only way I can imagine this happening is if the ProFTP RPM was un-installed, and then re-installed manually at some point. You did the right thing to fix it, but the InterWorx upgrade didn’t touch the the proftpd.conf file at all.

It’s “ok” that the password is in clear text since the permissions are such that only the root user can read the /etc/proftpd.conf file (at least they are by default - chmod’d 600).

Paul