Push Email

To be honest, I don’t know how push email works with servers or whether it would be separate to a control panel or not, but with so many phones coming out now that support some form of push email it would be a good feature to add to Interworx. :slight_smile:

Obviously not a feasible idea. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Bob,

What exactly do you mean by “push email”?

Push e-mail is used to describe e-mail systems that provide an “always-on” capability, in which new e-mail is instantly and actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the Mail User Agent (MUA), also called the email client. Most of today’s clients are Smartphones.

For example, most new Sony Ericsson phones support push email. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Bob. Sorry, I’m really behind on the latest cellphone technology. :slight_smile: We’ll take it into consideration, but there’s no guarantee that it will be added any time soon, or at all. Until then, you can use the “send copy to” feature of an email address or set up an email alias to deliver mail either directly to your phone or to another email account that does support push email.

You could set up Funambol… I think that would work fine.

Thanks for your suggestion CMI. I’ll find out a bit more about it.

We’ll take it into consideration, but there’s no guarantee that it will be added any time soon, or at all.
That’s cool. As I said, I don’t know how feasible it would be, but I thought I would suggest it anyway just in case. :slight_smile:

Push mail would be a cool feature indeed. Does any other CPs on the market support this? (asking out of curiosity)

The process that M$ Exchange (not a CP, obviously) has implemented in their latest iteration of the mail server application is really pretty simple:

Server receives an email.
Server sends a SMS message to the phone to “active-sync” to the server to check for changes.
Client syncs any changes (and therefore gets the latest email).

Prior to their latest service pack, they used text messaging as opposed to SMS messaging, but that was getting quite expensive for those with non-unlimited texting plans.

Wonder if there’s something IWorx/QMail could do in this arena where a message from the server triggers an automatic POP-pull from the client? It may satisfy what people are looking for.

JB

Thank you for explaining the basics JayBaen, however it seem like an expensive process to have running where I am :frowning: (unless I set up some kind of sms-gateway on my own)

[QUOTE=JayBaen;10910]The process that M$ Exchange (not a CP, obviously) has implemented in their latest iteration of the mail server application is really pretty simple:

Server receives an email.
Server sends a SMS message to the phone to “active-sync” to the server to check for changes.
Client syncs any changes (and therefore gets the latest email).

Prior to their latest service pack, they used text messaging as opposed to SMS messaging, but that was getting quite expensive for those with non-unlimited texting plans.

Wonder if there’s something IWorx/QMail could do in this arena where a message from the server triggers an automatic POP-pull from the client? It may satisfy what people are looking for.

JB[/QUOTE]

2003 SP2 does direct push without the SMS poke.

You’re right, CMI - it does,if your Windows Mobile 5 device device has the “Messaging and Security Feature Pack” installed - which, many OEMs didn’t have it included (as in my case) as part of the purchase - or even yet as an upgrade from the service provider (apparently, the only place from which it can be aquired). Though, you have reminded me to check if my provider has now included this in newer firmware or not … :wink:

Our only choice (up until) this point is (has been) to use the SMS push (vs. the previously required Text push) which then triggers a Sync to grab the messages - which works fine, and thankfully doesn’t incur to me any additional cost.

Another piece of good news is, we simply use our phone providor’s SMS system to do the pinging, without having to have a SMS gateway of our own (and I’m wondering, if this could be the case for Qmail/IWorx to do this dance for non-M$ folk).

JB

[I](Additional M$ Info:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/business/directpushemail.mspx

Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your career)[/I]

[QUOTE=JayBaen;10914]You’re right, CMI - it does,if your Windows Mobile 5 device device has the “Messaging and Security Feature Pack” installed - which, many OEMs didn’t have it included (as in my case) as part of the purchase - or even yet as an upgrade from the service provider (apparently, the only place from which it can be aquired). Though, you have reminded me to check if my provider has now included this in newer firmware or not … :wink:

Our only choice (up until) this point is (has been) to use the SMS push (vs. the previously required Text push) which then triggers a Sync to grab the messages - which works fine, and thankfully doesn’t incur to me any additional cost.

Another piece of good news is, we simply use our phone providor’s SMS system to do the pinging, without having to have a SMS gateway of our own (and I’m wondering, if this could be the case for Qmail/IWorx to do this dance for non-M$ folk).

JB

[I](Additional M$ Info:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/business/directpushemail.mspx

http://blogs.technet.com/haroldwong/archive/2006/01/31/418476.aspx)[/I][/QUOTE]

I’m curious as to the format of the request. The Funabmbol SyncML client can be set to sync after an SMS ping. I know we can set qmail to send out just about whatever to whereever on an incoming message. Push-n-pull is easy, but it will never be as slick as a true direct push setup.

[QUOTE=Henrik;10909]Push mail would be a cool feature indeed. Does any other CPs on the market support this? (asking out of curiosity)[/QUOTE]I don’t think so.

Cpanel has switched to wimap server, which supports push via imap, very nice. Just about any IMAP software made (updated/etc) in the next few months will include this…

And this push-function does not require SMS©-functionality?

What about Qmail including this (and Iworx adding it if possible)? I am of the impression that the creator of Qmail is quite restrictive with adding new functionality to the software…

Push email is also supported on Apple’s new iPhone. :slight_smile:

hehe, as it is on all 100 USD phones :wink: (But then again - as it is Apple coming out with a product, it must be innovative :D)

Pardon my sarcasm Bob, I’m just fed up with the cult of the mac going absolutely crazy this week!

[quote=Henrik;10962]And this push-function does not require SMS©-functionality?

What about Qmail including this (and Iworx adding it if possible)? I am of the impression that the creator of Qmail is quite restrictive with adding new functionality to the software…[/quote]

It is not the SMTP engine / mail server that needs the function, but the imap server.

You just need a newer version of almost any imap server, and push email works fine. (*most new imap servers)

[QUOTE=Henrik;11183]hehe, as it is on all 100 USD phones :wink: (But then again - as it is Apple coming out with a product, it must be innovative :D)

Pardon my sarcasm Bob, I’m just fed up with the cult of the mac going absolutely crazy this week![/QUOTE]I wasn’t saying Apple is one of the few that supports it, only that if the iPhone becomes as popular as the iPod, then obviously a lot of people would want this feature.

You just need a newer version of almost any imap server, and push email works fine. (*most new imap servers)

I had a quick skim of the qmail site and it seems that qmail (which is used by Interworx) doesn’t?