Question on email and subdomains...

Is there a way to set up email accounts for a subdomain?

Hope all of you are doing well:>)

you can create a SiteWorx account subdiomain.domain.com and any email addresses yiou create will be mailbox@subdomain.domain.com, other than that I don’t know.

It might work if you created a MX DNS record for the subdomain under the main dns zone

MX mail.subdomain.domain.com

This would need to be done from NodeWorx

Hmmmm, I guess that would work, anything else I would need to do besides just adding it in nodeworx?

I want to make it so that I can offer email accounts only to people, but I don’t want them to have an email at mainsite.net, but email.mainsite.net instead…

You could also just create another SiteWorx account, using the domain “email.mainsite.net” and create your email accounts there.

Socheat

Tha is what I personally did and works great.

In all of my attempts to figure out how to do exactly what he wanted I forgot the obvious – what I had intended to do myself if I ever just did email hosting :wink: Thanks

Socheat

You could also just create another SiteWorx account, using the domain “email.mainsite.net” and create your email accounts there.

Hey, do I need to register this domain as I would any other domain? I added it in nodeworx, but it is not pingable. The reverse dns should find georgia-websites.net, do I just need to update the dns entries.

As an fyi, the mainsite is on a dedicated ip address and I used the shared one for the email.georgia-websites.net

Thanks!

Bluesin,

No, you don’t need to register the subdomain. You only register the main domain (e.g., mainsite.net). I would just double check your DNS settings.

Socheat

This the settings for the email.georgia-websites.net

email.georgia-websites.net A 66.98.176.60 43200
mail.email.georgia-websites.net A 66.98.176.60 43200
ftp.email.georgia-websites.net CNAME email.georgia-websites.net 43200
www.email.georgia-websites.net CNAME email.georgia-websites.net 43200
email.georgia-websites.net NS ns1.georgia-websites.net 43200 email.georgia-websites.net NS ns2.georgia-websites.net 43200
mail.email.georgia-websites.net MX 10 43200
email.georgia-websites.net SOA Edit SOA Properties 43200

It is in the dsn, but it cannot be found. I added this as a seperate site as discussed above.

I wonder if a problem has arisen because before I added the name servers with the registrar I was adding all of my site entries in the dns servers for ev1, and georgia-websites.net exists in both my name servers and EV1’s.

If that is a problem, can I now safely delete all the entries from the EV1 dns servers?

Your DNS for that is still pointing to ev1.s nameservers

[root@iworx ~]# whois georgia-websites.net

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.EV1SERVERS.NET
NS2.EV1SERVERS.NET
Whois-Services: [email]94aa474a-27de-4ad7-acbc-dd8d4ea1566a@whois-services.com[/email]

Your nodeworx dns data is NOT passed to ev1’s nameservers – you either need to use evi’s nameservers (and manually enter all of the dns info) or use your box’s own dns server by creating ns1. and ns2.georgia-websites.net or whatever.

Thanks Tim, I just want to be clear on my question,

If that is a problem, can I now safely delete all the entries from the EV1 dns servers?

Can I safely delete all of the duplicate entries from ev1’s nameservers?

I do have ns1.georgia-websites.net and ns2.georgia-websites.net with all of the sites in them…

The nameservers may exist but georgia-websites.net is NOT pointing to them

[root@iworx ~]# whois georgia-websites.net
[Querying whois.internic.net]
[Redirected to whois.register.com]
[Querying whois.register.com]
[whois.register.com]

The data in Register.com's WHOIS database is provided to you by
Register.com for information purposes only, that is, to assist you in
obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration
record.  Register.com makes this information available "as is," and
does not guarantee its accuracy.  By submitting a WHOIS query, you
agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,
under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1) allow, enable,
or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial
advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or by
telephone; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to Register.com (or its systems).  The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Register.com.
Register.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: georgia-websites.net

Created on..............: 20 Feb 2004 19:11:12
   Expires on..............: 20 Feb 2007 19:11:12

Registrant Info:
   NA
   Georgia Websites
   685 Brand South Trail
   Lawrenceville, Ga 30045
   US
   Phone: NA
   Fax..:
   Email: dave@harvestmoonblues.com

Administrative Info:
   NA
   David Dittmar
   685 Brand South Trail
   Lawrenceville, g 30045
   US
   Phone: +1.7709632253
   Fax..:
   Email: dave@harvestmoonblues.com

Technical Info:
   NA
   EV1 Servers Customer Service
   2600 SW Freeway
   Houston, TX 77098
   US
   Phone: +1.7133337873
   Fax..: +1.7139429332
   Email: domains@ev1servers.net

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.EV1SERVERS.NET
    NS2.EV1SERVERS.NET
    Whois-Services: 77d9e9f3-4c30-4f0d-b01b-37b7f7240c6f@whois-services.com

Register your domain name at http://www.register.com

[root@iworx ~]#

As you can see your domain is still pointed to ev1’s nameservers. You will need to change this to NS1 and NS2.georgia-websites.net, THEN you can delete the duplicate entries on evi1’s nameservers.

Yep, I actually had one of those duh moments while I was out at lowes when I realized that I needed to log into the registrar and change them there…

As an aside, I need to gather up all of my domains into one registrar, any recommendations on a good one who I can transfer them all to that is pretty cheap?

I personally use domainsite.com. $6.95 includes the transfer and a year of registration

Thanks for the info, I’ll use them…

Additionally, I updated the name server information across the board through the registrar, and as expected the email domain is now being found just fine…

After I posted this I was remided that Nexcess.net also does domain registrations :slight_smile:

After I posted this I was remided that Nexcess.net also does domain registrations :slight_smile:

Haha, but it’s expensive in comparison and I’m happy we discuss all available options even if some are biased :slight_smile:

Chris