Quota

How exactly do you have quoats set up? One of our clients was getting denied uploads because his quota was exceeded. Somehow it was reset to 7 blocks. Checking this out, I noticed that disk quoats were set for none of the accounts. Everything is set fine now but I wonder:

• How did a disk quota get set?
  • If your not using regular disk quotas, how are you keeping track of everything? What if we give a user SSH access. Do thier activities there get reflected in NodeWorx as far as quotas are concerned?
  • How did a disk quota get set?

Quotas are set on siteworx account creation, did you have to ‘fix’ the quotas or did they fix themselves? You didn’t say how they went from incorrect to correct.

• If your not using regular disk quotas, how are you keeping track of everything? What if we give a user SSH access. Do thier activities there get reflected in NodeWorx as far as quotas are concerned?

We’re using normal linux quotas, so anything owned by their group (regardless of creation via ssh, ftp, mysql etc) is applied to their quota.

Chris

Didn’t think to check group quota in my haste :slight_smile:

The user quota was set to 7 blocks. I had to fix that myself by resetting it to 0.

Happened again.

And it was again ‘7’ blocks? Quotas are sync’d nightly so if it’s going to happen, and if it’s a bug in iworx then it’d happen during this sync.

Chris

Yup. It was exactly as before with a 7 block quota. I haven’t been able to narrow down what is causing this. Have any ideas as to what to monitor?

I’m finally back posting on the boards :).

I’m honestly not sure on this one CMI, iworx-cp does sync nightly the quotas on each siteworx account with the system. So it’s happening during the daily sync I’m sure, if there’s no ‘7’ as the storage in any of the siteworx accounts then it makes little sense and since it hasn’t been a widespread problem it’s a bugger to nail down. In my absense from the boards has this continued to be a problem?

Chris

No, we’ve only had those two incedents. There must be something causing it that doesn’t happen very often, but what I’m not sure. I’d think it may be caused by certian updates, as that is the only thing I can see at the moment to fit that schedule, but that really wouldn’t make sense.

I’ll just keep checking and if the problem comes up again, hopefuly I’ll catch it when it happens, and not a week or so later (as we can only tell when the guy logs in) so I have some hope of using the logs.

sounds good CMI, just let me know if it keeps it up and hopefully we can nail it down.

Chris

Im also having quota issue with a customer, maybe two not sure yet.

Customer shows only using 271mb with linux quotas, but in interworx it shows 322mb/ sending him emails sayin he is using 417mb.

We have rebuild quotas, but didnt resolve problem.

Hi John,

What’s the output of the command:

quota -gs username

where username is the unix username?

Paul

Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
/dev/hda2 149M 450M 500M 4116 0 0

uhm when i do find -u 516 | more

theres a ton of stuff in /proc but its all zero k.
He is not using more than 271 in his /home/username/

Hi

A strange thing did happen.

I’ve created a new siteworx account with 50MB space disk (with the api as usual)
The account is empty, the client didn’t download anything
2 hours after the creation he received an nodeworx alert email saying he has go over his space disk limit

When I check his account it is empty (there is only the normal iworx files) but nodeworx and siteworx show this account is using 197MB

and a quota -gs groupname shows the same thing :

[root@padawan html]# quota -gs xxxxxx
Disk quotas for group arbalete (gid 573):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
      /dev/hda2    192M*  46080   51200           13830       0       0

As it is a new client he can not download files on it new account. Not so good :slight_smile:
I’ll open a ticket support and will let you know what is going on

Pascal

It turned out that the linux kernel source tarball that was in /usr/src/linux-* had been tarred with uid/gid that was shared by the newly created user. So the new user inherited the /usr/src/linux-* files and the space they consumed :).

A chown of /usr/src/linux-* to root.root will fix

Chris

Thanks Chris you are more speed than me

How to sync the quota display in siteworx ?

Pascal