Remote backup of accounts via FTP

I have pieced it together through a few different threads here that it is possible to have an automated backup of individual accounts and then have those compressed files ftp’d over to a separate ftp account on a different box.

While I have pieced together that this is indeed possible, how would one make that happen?

This would be a great item for a tutorial!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Sure, would be glad to help.

Creating a backup and have it remotely transferred to another box via FTP is only possible in SiteWorx. That means, you’ll have to login to each SiteWorx account and initiate the backup. Good news is, if you need to do this on a regular basis, you can also set a backup schedule so that you won’t have to do it every time.

[list=1]

• If the ?Backup / Restore? submenu on the left is not already expanded, click on ?Backup / Restore? to expand the menu.
  • Click ?Backup? in the ?Backup / Restore? submenu.
  • Choose your "Backup Type", either a Full backup or Partial backup. If you choose Partial backup, you'll need to chose which portions you want included in the backup (web, email, databases)
  • Choose from the "Backup When" options, either "Backup Now" or "Schedule Backup". "Backup Now" is pretty self-explanatory. If you schedule a backup, you can chose to run a backup daily, weekly, or monthly.
  • Choose from the ?Backup Where? options. This is what you'll be most interested in. Choose "FTP" or "SFTP/SCP" from the dropdown, and fill in the hostname, username, passwords, and path to where you want the file stored on the remote server
  • If you chose to schedule a backup, the submit button will read "Schedule Backup", otherwise it will read "Backup". Click the submit button to initiate the backup process [/list]

We are currently working on a much more extensive manual and howto for InterWorx. You just got the condensed, preview version of our Backup from Siteworx page. :slight_smile: If you need anything else clarified, don’t hesitate to ask.

• Thanks! I did not expect to find that feature (beautiful feature that it is) only in SiteWorx I guess… I’m not all that sure that I feel comfortable leaving that function in the hands of some of my clients (it gets pretty rough with some of them) – any plans on implementing a non-overrideable (pretty sure that’s not a word) implementation of that at the NodeWorx level? Most clients won’t touch that, but I would like to protect against those that will.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

No, we haven’t planned on implementing anything like that (limiting SiteWorx users to backups of their own account), but we’ll think about it for a future release.

Backups - first this should have the option to enable for customers or not - I really dont like them making backups and finding they are running out of space.

The backups should be handled by the administrator of the server - nodeworx.

I am currently using crontab:
    /home/interworx/bin/backup.pex --domains=all --file-path=“location”

I run this daily along with webmin backups.

Problem is the interworx one, while it works nicely is a little incomplete - need a way to remove the old backups - such as after 7 days or… instead of new data on the file names - replace the files but have daily/weekly and monthly versions.

Thanks much!

[quote=IWorx-Socheat;4590]Sure, would be glad to help.

Creating a backup and have it remotely transferred to another box via FTP is only possible in SiteWorx. That means, you’ll have to login to each SiteWorx account and initiate the backup. Good news is, if you need to do this on a regular basis, you can also set a backup schedule so that you won’t have to do it every time.

[LIST=1]

• If the ?Backup / Restore? submenu on the left is not already expanded, click on ?Backup / Restore? to expand the menu.
  • Click ?Backup? in the ?Backup / Restore? submenu.
  • Choose your "Backup Type", either a Full backup or Partial backup. If you choose Partial backup, you'll need to chose which portions you want included in the backup (web, email, databases)
  • Choose from the "Backup When" options, either "Backup Now" or "Schedule Backup". "Backup Now" is pretty self-explanatory. If you schedule a backup, you can chose to run a backup daily, weekly, or monthly.
  • Choose from the ?Backup Where? options. This is what you'll be most interested in. Choose "FTP" or "SFTP/SCP" from the dropdown, and fill in the hostname, username, passwords, and path to where you want the file stored on the remote server
  • If you chose to schedule a backup, the submit button will read "Schedule Backup", otherwise it will read "Backup". Click the submit button to initiate the backup process [/LIST]

We are currently working on a much more extensive manual and howto for InterWorx. You just got the condensed, preview version of our Backup from Siteworx page. :slight_smile: If you need anything else clarified, don’t hesitate to ask.[/quote]

I installed CSF and removed APF. However, even after restarting iworx, apf is still listed as “running”, but physically does exist on the server at all. Its completely removed. Why would this be the case?

Also, does this look valid?

Allow incoming TCP ports

TCP_IN = “20,21,22,25,53,80,110,143,443,465,953,993,995,2080,2443,2355”

Allow outgoing TCP ports

TCP_OUT = “20,21,22,25,53,80,110,113,123,443,953,9999”

Allow incoming UDP ports

UDP_IN = “20,21,53,953”

• I’ve been using the option to save the backups remotely using SFTP. However, I noticed I now have a couple of domains that are generating errors during the backup process:

NodeWorx Server Manager
    ##LG_ERROR_BACKUP_COMPRESS_FAILED_1## : /tmp/swbkGqrPoP

That is the error I get on both of them (of course the tmp file is named differently). Is there a limitation on the size of the backup file when compressing? The only commonality I can find between the two domains failing is they are fairly large sites. That last successful backup file I had from one was 420MB and was a partial (databases and web files, no email).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Is your /tmp/ partition/folder running out of space?

It says I’m using 2% of that partition. I never thought about that being the issue. However, I’m not sure how big that partition is. Is there a command I can run to show the total size of a partition or all of my partitions?

Now I see from Nodeworx that 2% is used with only .98 GB available. So, doing the math, it appears that partition is only 1 GB! Any way to have the backups use a different partition?