Reseler Options

Hello,

I’d like to have few informations about the reselers options.

The reseler account has to create his own dns server. Ok but, as the reseler don’t have to have an existing domain/siteworx account how does he create dns server on the box ?

Now if he has a domain/siteworx account, he may register his dns server with his registrar for this domain, ok, but what happens when he enter the domain server in nodeworx. I mean how and where are created the DNS server in the box ?

If he doesn’t have a domain/siteworx accoutn on the box, and he enter 2 DNS server as for example ns1.mydomaiN;com and ns2.mydomain.com on nodeworx, what will do NodeWorx ?

Could you please provide me some explanations on how works the DNS server for the Reseler acounts

I’m sure my next reseler client will ask this for me :
How do I create my dns server ?
I don’t have a siteworx account wih you, how do I create my own dns server
etc …

------ ETIDED ---------
Also I have forgotten a question :
When you register at your registrar new dns servers you have to enter the IP adresses link to the name server.
In the case of a reseller who want to create his own dns server for the reseler panel, what IP adresses he has to enter ?

Thanks a ton

Pascal

Pascall, to completely understand the reseller system you should create a dummy reseller and login and take a look. Here’s what I’ve found:

• When you set up the reseller account it asks you to specify what IP’s you want ot to have access to. It does not need to have it’s own IP. To create a name server you need your own IP for that so I gather you do not need it just to create a reseller.
  • The first time you log in as the reseller you are asked to specify your name servers. I have a resller account assigned to the main IP on my test box (it only has two) and I spefified the default nameserver of the box and it didn’t complain so I gather giving a resller their own nameservers is probably optional (and I seem to remember reading something to that effect somewhere).

take a look at these screen caps.

reseller-first-screen-sm.jpg

reseller-main-screen-sm.jpg

In this case you need a dedicated IP for the reseller. Or you do for other panels and I assume InterWorx as well.

For clairification, a Reseller is nothing more than a NodeWorx user with limited privelages and a limit on the resources he or she has access to. The resellers appear to use the same user table so the user name (email address) can not be the same as the master nodeworx login (as I discovered when it was in beta).

No, and under the system as it is now it’s easiest if they don’t have an acount on the box. The current interface does not allow you to move a SiteWorx account to a reseller short of backing up the account, deleting it, and restoring ot from the Reseller interface. I think Paul said somewhere that this was going to be added in the future but it’s not yet available.

Now if he has a domain/siteworx account, he may register his dns server with his registrar for this domain, ok, but what happens when he enter the domain server in nodeworx. I mean how and where are created the DNS server in the box ?

The first time the reseller logs in it will ask for the nameserver info, just fill it in, hit save – you will get “changes successfully saved” – and then click on the NodeWOrx main screen on the main menu,

If he doesn’t have a domain/siteworx account on the box, and he enter 2 DNS server as for example ns1.mydomaiN;com and ns2.mydomain.com on nodeworx, what will do NodeWorx ?

Nothing. This is for his reseller account only.

Could you please provide me some explanations on how works the DNS server for the Reseler acounts

I’m sure my next reseler client will ask this for me :
How do I create my dns server ?
I don’t have a siteworx account wih you, how do I create my own dns server
etc …

Feel free to point any english speaking customes to

http://www.transwarphosting.net/help/dns-interworx.htm

When I get the chance I am going to be revising this to cover

• RDNS
  • The new 2.0 Interfece
  • Reseller Support

I have no objection to it being translated into French either as long as you do not remove my byline and contact info (Please let me know if you are going to do this and let me know where it is posted).

Any other questions? Reseller is one of the things I have been playing around with since it was in beta so I think I understand it prety well.

Chris, Paul, or Socheat feel free to correct me if any of this isn’t completely accurate.

Ok Tim, I think I really gave bad explanations :\

I know how to create a reseller account, I have tested it, but I can’t figure out what happens for the dns server.

Let me try to explain you. The goal of the reseler offers are to be in “White marque”, I mean, the reseler should like to have his own dns server, and not mine. In this case the clients of this reseler will never know for my company name. I think it is the main goal.

So here is my question. Ok I gave to the reseler an IP (share or dedicated neither mind).
This reseler will like to create his OWN dns server. And when he will connect the first time in NodeWorx, nodeworx will ask for dns server.

So, as I provide a reseller offer, I should also be able to give to the reseler the ability to define his own dns server ? right ?
Anyway, imagine, a ^poor guy that know nothing to reseling web hosting, but would like to sell few web hosting to have his own one for free. Great, he comes to these reseler options, and here we ask for 2 dns servers.
Ok, so how does he create them ?

I’d really understand how it may work. He will propably ask me how to create his own dns server. I may tell him to register his dns server at his registrar, but with which IP ?

Do you understand what I mean. The reseler option is necesary for people that doesn’t want to pay for dedicated box. So they would like to have their own dns server to be sure that their name is under his name/domain.

So in fact, what I’d like to know is what IP adress do I have to give them ?

• If they don’t have their own siteworx/domain account
  • If they have their siteworx/domain account

(I mean if they like to register a name server named ns1.toto.com and 1/ they don’t have toto.com hosted by me, and 2/ they have toto.com hosted by me)

Maybe it is too simple and I do not inderdstand, but really, I’m not sure to understand how I could tell them : create your own dns server with these IP

Thanks for having tryed to help me Tim, I apreciate that, but my point of view is not on how to create dns at registrar, or how to create reseler, what i know, my question is more on how could we give a ‘full’ reseler package to somebody : dns server to his own domain, + reseler option. I can’t imagine somebody take a reseler package and can’t have his own dns server :slight_smile:

Pascal

Ok I know this. But If I understand well, it means that it will happen nothing. The 2 dns server entered are only used in the dns zone entries ? right ?
If yes, it means that the reseler shoul have at least one IP where there is some dns services, and these services are not on my box (or may are)

lol, here is my pbm. I mean, it means that the reseler has to have a domain hosted somewhere with some dns services ? right ?

I mean, you are a customer. You already have a domain hosted at companie C1. And you see that an other comapnie C_Res offers some reseler options.
Great you buy for this reseler offer.
Now this C_res company ask you for two dns servers. Great. How to create it ?
You go at you registrar to register you new name servers. The IP will be the IP where your domain is hosted, so the C1 company IP

Now, as reseler, when you create a new siteworx account, dns zones will be created for this new account with as name server the one the reseler has entered. Is it ok ? will it work ?
On this box there is iterative and recursive dns, where these dns data will be registered ? at the localhost dns server ? how the dns data will pass to the reseler dns server ?

arf I’m really to bad in dns management :\

heu, no… why ? I’m not sure. But the pbm his here. The reseler may have his domain hosted by an other hoster or hosted by you. In the 2 cases it means that his primary dns server and his secondary dns server will have the same IP (the one the domain is hosted on)
If the reseler has his domain hosted at an other webhosting comapny, how ythe dns data from nodeworx will be pass through ?

Pascal

It’s okay Pascal I may not be explaining myself very well either. Let’s take another crack at it:

As far as I know the reseller needs his or her own dedicated IP if he wants his own nameserver. You specify this when you create the reseller in NodeWorx.

So, as I provide a reseller offer, I should also be able to give to the reseler the ability to define his own dns server ? right ?

Yes and as far as I am aware NodeWorx does that for you. If you want to underrstand the “under the hood” stuff one of the Iworx guys will have to explainthat because it’s above my head.

Anyway, imagine, a ^poor guy that know nothing to reseling web hosting, but would like to sell few web hosting to have his own one for free. Great, he comes to these reseler options, and here we ask for 2 dns servers.
Ok, so how does he create them ?

I’d really understand how it may work. He will propably ask me how to create his own dns server. I may tell him to register his dns server at his registrar, but with which IP ?

The IP you assign to his reseller account when it is created… With the exception of the .ru extention as far as I am aware you can use the same IP for both NS’s Not sure about the .fr. If they need two then you need to acclocate two IP’s to each reseller.

Do you understand what I mean. The reseler option is necesary for people that doesn’t want to pay for dedicated box. So they would like to have their own dns server to be sure that their name is under his name/domain.

So in fact, what I’d like to know is what IP adress do I have to give them ?

• If they don’t have their own siteworx/domain account
  • If they have their siteworx/domain account

(I mean if they like to register a name server named ns1.toto.com and 1/ they don’t have toto.com hosted by me, and 2/ they have toto.com hosted by me)

Maybe it is too simple and I do not inderdstand, but really, I’m not sure to understand how I could tell them : create your own dns server with these IP

Thanks for having tryed to help me Tim, I apreciate that, but my point of view is not on how to create dns at registrar, or how to create reseler, what i know, my question is more on how could we give a ‘full’ reseler package to somebody : dns server to his own domain, + reseler option. I can’t imagine somebody take a reseler package and can’t have his own dns server :slight_smile:

Pascal

In most cases you are right about wanting a dedicate nameserver, but I’ve also heard of a few people who bought them for the ability to host their own unlimuted projects.

Anyway, is this any clearer?

I’m going to write a tutorial on this which explains the process step by step and the steps involved in the near futire.

Okay you’re getting into a few technicalities which are getting close to above my head (DNS gives me a headach LOL). Let’s proceed.

Yes, you will need at least one dedicated IP for the reseller – I do not mean dedicated as in only one domain on that IP but rather dedicated as in only he uses it. AIRN does allow for this.

lol, here is my pbm. I mean, it means that the reseler has to have a domain hosted somewhere with some dns services ? right ?

Assumably he or she is going to point his or her domains to the new reseller account.

For example I have transwarphosting.net pointed to ns1. and ns2.transwarphosting.net

I mean, you are a customer. You already have a domain hosted at companie C1. And you see that an other comapnie C_Res offers some reseler options.
Great you buy for this reseler offer.
Now this C_res company ask you for two dns servers. Great. How to create it ?
You go at you registrar to register you new name servers. The IP will be the IP where your domain is hosted, so the C1 company IP

Now, as reseler, when you create a new siteworx account, dns zones will be created for this new account with as name server the one the reseler has entered. Is it ok ? will it work ?
On this box there is iterative and recursive dns, where these dns data will be registered ? at the localhost dns server ? how the dns data will pass to the reseler dns server ?

arf I’m really to bad in dns management :\

heu, no… why ? I’m not sure. But the pbm his here. The reseler may have his domain hosted by an other hoster or hosted by you. In the 2 cases it means that his primary dns server and his secondary dns server will have the same IP (the one the domain is hosted on)
If the reseler has his domain hosted at an other webhosting comapny, how ythe dns data from nodeworx will be pass through ?

Pascal

If not explaining a problem I had may help.

I have two InterWorx boxes with the following hostnames:

centos.transwarphosting.net and iworx.transwarphosting.net

Transwarphosting.net is poiinted to the first box’s nameservers.

The first box has nameservers ns1. and ns2.transwarphosting.net

I wanted to register ns1. and ns2.iworx.transwarphosting.net

I did everything right but I still couldn’t point any domains to the new nameservers. Finally I put in a ticket at my datacenter with the problem and after digging they had me create the following a records on the centos box

ns1. and ns2.iworx.transwarphosting.net Pointed to the IP’s of the OTHER box.

I was skeptical but it worked. . . Have I mentioned how DNS gives me headaches? LOL

Not sure if this is what you are asking but here it is for anyone who may have a similar problem.

Tim

Lol, I also had and will have headach with dns server : maybe you’ll already red this http://interworx.info/forums/showthread.php?t=319 about syncing dns server from others box to a main one

heu, but a reseler account doesn’t have dns zones !!! a reseler account is nothing more than a user in nodeworx :-p

I do not undertsand why you speak about a dedicated IP. Also with FR zone you must have primary and secondary dns server on differents IP.

Will it work if I give to the reseler my existing dns server IP. What happens if he registered at his registrar his own dns server with these IP

for example
60.110.30.40 = ns1.carat-hosting.com
60.110.30.41 = ns2.carat-hosting.com

then the reseler registers his own dns servers with
60.110.30.40 = ns1.reselerdomain.com
60.110.30.41 = ns2.reselerdomain.com

It could be great to have an iworx team responding to my questions :slight_smile:
Only to have their points of view on how to give to the reseler the ability to have his own dns server

Thanks Tim, for your help

Pascal

Pascal,

Let me start by saying we don’t consider the Reseller interface feature-complete, but it shoudl work for most situations.

To most easily do what you ask I’d do the following as a reseller.

ASSUMPTIONS:

1. The InterWorx-CP box will be the box doing DNS for the reseller’s domains

2. The reseller’s domain name for DNS purposes is myresellerdomain.com and his clients will use ns1.myresellerdomain.com and ns2.myresellerdomain.com as their DNS servers for whois purposes.

3. ns1/ns2.myresellerdomain.com will point to the InterWorx-CP box and DNS for myresellerdomaion.com itself will be served from the InterWorx-CP box.

ACTIONS:

1. Allocate 2 dedicated IPs to the reseller.

2. Enter any values for the 2 dns servers on the dns overview page to satisfy the pages requirements (we’ll change them in a sec).

3. Create a SiteWorx account called myresellerdomain.com (so they can get access to the zone file)

4. On the zone, add 2 A records for ns1.myresellerdomain.com and ns2.myresellerdomain.com on the 2 dedicated IPs. Then change the existing 2 NS records to be the right thing (ns1/ns2.myresellerdomain.com in this case)

5. The reseller can now create SiteWorx accounts, tell his clients to use ns1/ns2.myresellerdomain.com as the DNS servers and the IWorx-CP box will respond to queries.

That should be it, but if I have any errors in logic let me konw.

Chris

Ok Chris I understand very well know. The tips of creating the siteworx account is what I missed.

BUT. Is it absolutly necessey to have to dedicated IP ?
Could it be shared Ip with some hosted domain on them ?

Because I’ll miss IP very quickly if I dedicat 2 IPs by reseler

AnyWay, your answer is clear as source water

Thanks
Pascal

Yea I saw that one and will look into it when I have time. It wold make some of these things MUCH easier.

heu, but a reseler account doesn’t have dns zones !!! a reseler account is nothing more than a user in nodeworx :-p

Yes, as I understand it it is. cPanel is the same way. Their resellers just have mimited access to WHM.

I do not undertsand why you speak about a dedicated IP. Also with FR zone you must have primary and secondary dns server on differents IP.

Will it work if I give to the reseler my existing dns server IP. What happens if he registered at his registrar his own dns server with these IP

for example
60.110.30.40 = ns1.carat-hosting.com
60.110.30.41 = ns2.carat-hosting.com

then the reseler registers his own dns servers with
60.110.30.40 = ns1.reselerdomain.com
60.110.30.41 = ns2.reselerdomain.com

I’m not sure what would happen if the same IP had more than one nameserver. It could confuse things and DNS is so complicated anyway I wouldn’t spend my time trying it personally . . . too many headaches/

When I sad dedicated IP I do not speak of what you are probably thinking of – a domain with only one website on it and nothing else (eg what you need for SSL). I mean an IP that is assigned to that reseller and that reseller only.

With the .fr domain than you would need to use two IP’s then :frowning:

It could be great to have an iworx team responding to my questions :slight_smile:
Only to have their points of view on how to give to the reseler the ability to have his own dns server

Come on Pascal, they are all either recouperating from HostingCon or squirreled away coming up with new features and refinements - give them a break :wink:

Thanks Tim, for your help

Pascal

NP Pacal, you’ve helped me enought times – time to return the favor. Sorry if I’m not as clear as I need to be.

Come on Pascal, they are all either recouperating from HostingCon or squirreled away coming up with new features and refinements - give them a break :wink:

It’s not urgent, I can wait :-p thay already do so much

And the fact is that my first Reseler has used my own dns server so… I had a break :slight_smile:

But now Chris gave me exactly what was missing to me : Creating a siteworx account :slight_smile:

Pascal

Hello,

The case to have two reseller’s dns server hosted on the interworx-cp box is ok.

But what may be the others solutions for ther reseler to have his dns server hosted else where (outside the interworx-cp box)

I mean, If I don’t want to give to every reseller 2 dns servers, what are the other solution for him and I ?

Is there some hosting/registrar companies that offer ONLY dns servers hosting ?
In this case, in the interworx-cp/reseler panel what is the configuration to apply ?

Thanks
Pascal