RHEL5 and CentOS 5 support coming?

I’m about to roll out new servers- should I hold off in hopes you’ll have RHEL 5 and CentOS 5 support soon (as in the next month)?

Also, what (if anything) would prevent me from having one cluster node on CentOS 5 and another of CentOS 4 in the future? I’m assuming I’ll need to be running the same versions of mysql and php on both of these boxes.

Getting newer OS support would more or less seal the deal for us swapping over from cPanel :frowning:

~Francisco

I too have been holding off a box upgrade (from redhat 9) to Centos4.

Though I’ve been waiting for v3 to go final first, but then Centos5 came out and now I’d love to jump directly to that, if the support was there obviously.

-Rob

Iworx highly supports CentOS so Im sure v5 support isn’t too far off.

Question…

Question:

Has anyone idly tried to install a copy of Interworx on CentOS 5 to see if it runs (even if it isn’t officially supported). My company is very interested in the virtualization options in CentOS 5 and having Interworx on one side and Ensim on the other.

Has anyone tried to do this yet?

Thanks,
Dan

They’ve already confirmed it won’t in another thread. :frowning:

What have they confirmed???

It was confirmed in a question I have asked, the setup won’t start thats all.

[QUOTE=digitaljesus;13140]Question:

Has anyone idly tried to install a copy of Interworx on CentOS 5 to see if it runs (even if it isn’t officially supported). My company is very interested in the virtualization options in CentOS 5 and having Interworx on one side and Ensim on the other.

Has anyone tried to do this yet?

Thanks,
Dan[/QUOTE]

If you have a test box I’d do this :
Install centos4 and inteworx
Upgrade to Centos5
See what happens

Ok I know it is completly crazy but as the interworx isntall script won’t start on a Centos5, try to upgrade the OS :-p

I’ll do this only for curiousity, it is not a recommended way to perform upgrade. The best bet being to wait for Interworx !

Also, There is some major updates in Centos5 :
APache 2.2
Php 5.1.6
Mysql 5

But there is also great tools like XEN and virtualization, but also as GFS and all the cluster tool (based on piranah if i remember well) !

Not sure it is so compatible with interworx… But it is centos, so…

Pascal

[quote=pascal;13152]If you have a test box I’d do this :
Install centos4 and inteworx
Upgrade to Centos5
See what happens

Ok I know it is completly crazy but as the interworx isntall script won’t start on a Centos5, try to upgrade the OS :-p

I’ll do this only for curiousity, it is not a recommended way to perform upgrade. The best bet being to wait for Interworx !

Also, There is some major updates in Centos5 :
APache 2.2
Php 5.1.6
Mysql 5

But there is also great tools like XEN and virtualization, but also as GFS and all the cluster tool (based on piranah if i remember well) !

Not sure it is so compatible with interworx… But it is centos, so…

Pascal[/quote]

There’s that, or you could just change your /etc/redhat-release file to be that of a centos 4 install.

As far as I saw in the installer, all it does is looks at the content of that file, and then picks which distro to install.

Thanks,

~Francisco

Worth a shot- I’m going to try it on a test box this weekend.

I already have a test box setup with CentOS5 clean install. Waiting for InterWorx to offer some support so I could help test it.

Let me know how hacking the installer works, I might give that a try.

[QUOTE=Justec;13159]
Let me know how hacking the installer works, I might give that a try.[/QUOTE]

Well you just have to vi or nano /etc/redhat-release (as Francisco told)
Install interworx

Then change back /etc/redhat-release

You might have a look at the interworx-install script. It just look for “CentOS release 4” in this file
So the best way is to change /etc/redhat-release

That should do the job

The other way could be to change the interworx install script. Look for the function distrocheck() and tweak it

In all cases it only for tests and you are in an unsuported area

Pascal

[QUOTE=pascal;13160]Well you just have to vi or nano /etc/redhat-release (as Francisco told)
Install interworx[/QUOTE]Yeah, I just wanted someone else to do the dirty work and see if there was any obvious errors. I did take some time to manually setup some websites so I could begin testing them on PHP and MySQL 5. Maybe Ill just give it a try and do another fresh install on another hard drive I have laying around.

[QUOTE=pascal;13160]In all cases it only for tests and you are in an unsuported area[/QUOTE]Yeah, I have a test box on my local LAN.

Hi,

I just tested this with a CentOS 5 vmware and alas, it errors out while trying to install :frowning:

I guess the only way to get it to play nice is to recompile the SRPM’s interworx provides.

~Francisco

Thanks for testing that! I’ll try upgrading a CentOS 4.4/Interworx VM to CentOS 5 and see what happens.

CentOS 5 support is now ready.

http://interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440

Paul

Great, nice job guys!!! Now have to confirm SteadFast is supporting CentOS5 and then I guess I have some work to do :slight_smile:

This is really great to have a fully supported PHP5 install as PHP4 EOL is pretty close and there is a big movement to finally get people to move over to PHP5.

A thread I started on my migration from CentOS4 -> 5
http://interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14212