Simple DNS setup question

[SIZE=2]I want to setup ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com but see no clear way to do this via the Interworx interface and in general I’m confused by the DNS Management within Interworx (I’m coming from cPanel).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]On my DNS Management page I see ALL of my server IP addresses under Active DNS Services Iterative… not sure if this is correct… and under Recursive I only see the local loopback address 127.0.0.1, again, I’m not sure if this is correct.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My host name is xyz.com and I simply want to have ns1.xyz.com point to one of the available IPs on the system and ns2.xyz.com point to another IP on the system…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]When I go into DNS Server/Zones for xyz.com I can not add an NS record for ns1.xyz.com as the system complains of invalid hostname…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Do I need to have an NS record for xyz.com pointing to an IP and then a CNAME record for ns1.xyz.com pointing to xyz.com?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Any ideas?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cliff.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Hi Cliff-

Thanks for takign the time to give us a try and putting in the effort to learn a new system; It’s not easy, but I’ll think you’ll be very happy you did. (of course, I’m biased :wink: ) I’ll point you to the docs again as DNS can be a bit tricky and Tim has done a very good job writing up information pertaining to DNS and InterWorx-CP. If you have further questions after reading those feel free to post them!

http://interworx.com/support/docs/iworx-cp/#dns_guide is the overview, another key document about authoring custom nameservers can be found here-
http://interworx.com/support/docs/iworx-cp/dns-guide/howto-author-custom-nameservers

–Dustin

Create SiteWorx acct for primary server?

My server name is xyz.com… if ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com will be the domain servers for all the domains hosted on this box, do I have to create a SiteWorx account for xyz.com? And, if not, how do I edit the DNS w/o a SiteWorx account… I am proceeding under the assumption that xyz.com will need a SiteWorx account. I am about to review the links you posted.

Thanks,
Cliff.

If you want xyz.com to point to your box there are two things you can do:

1 Create a SiteWorx account (if you want a site at xyz.com)
2. Create an A Record in DNS Management

Hello, thanks for writing. Let’s see if we can get this straignened out for you.

First of all let’s talk about hostnames. Most people don’t call a computer something like xyz.com we usually use something like iworx.xyz.com or box1.xyz.com or some other recative name so the dns records associated with it don’t get confused with a website xyz.com if you have one.

[SIZE=2]

Sorry for the confusion, as Dustin said sometimes moving from one panel to the other is a bit more of a learning curve than you expect. If you bear with me I’ll try to help you out.

First of all you have to register the nameserver at your registrar and point the nameservers to IP’s on your box. Here’s a howto if you need it.

http://www.interworx.com/support/docs/iworx-cp/dns-guide/howto-author-custom-nameservers

Then you need to make sure the nameservers are set right on the DNS Overview page in NodeWorx.

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]On my DNS Management page I see ALL of my server IP addresses under Active DNS Services Iterative… not sure if this is correct… and under Recursive I only see the local loopback address 127.0.0.1, again, I’m not sure if this is correct. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]

Yes this is how it should be. The 127.0.0.1 is a refference the box has to itself.

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]

My host name is xyz.com and I simply want to have ns1.xyz.com point to one of the available IPs on the system and ns2.xyz.com point to another IP on the system…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]When I go into DNS Server/Zones for xyz.com I can not add an NS record for ns1.xyz.com as the system complains of invalid hostname…

See my note above and then check to make sure the hostname is set corectly:

From the shell (ssh) type hostname and see if it shows up right.

Also NodeWorx will say Managing Server xyz.com at the top of every page.

Data Centers almost never set up the hostname you want even if you ask them to. To change the hostname if it’s wrong follow these directions:

http://www.interworx.com/support/docs/iworx-cp/troubleshooting/linux-redhat#hostname
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]

Do I need to have an NS record for xyz.com pointing to an IP and then a CNAME record for ns1.xyz.com pointing to xyz.com?
[/SIZE]

No, please do the following step by step:
[LIST=1]

• First make sure the hostname is set corectly. to avoid confusion I recommend you name it iworx.xyz.com
  • Then create an A record in NodeWorx for iworx.xyz.com pointing to the IP address you use to log into NodeWorx.
  • Next, create a siteworx account called xyz.com[/LIST]If you've already created the siteworx account then delete it and create it again so the DNS settings are right (whatever it says in NodeWorx is used as a template when the SiteWorx accounts are created). If you don't want to do that you will have to manually edit the dnz sone in NodeWorx to make sure the nameserver and IP address in the A records are riight.

Good Luck!

• [/quote]

Are you saying that tinydns should be running on all IPs? I currently only have it running on the IPs registered to my nameservers. It’s stopped on the other IPs not registered to nameservers. It’s working fine. Is there a reason it should be running on all IPs, even those not registered to nameservers?

It probably won’t hurt anything the way you have it but I’ve always had it running on all IP’s