simultaneous ftp

Hi,

I am a high school teacher and opened a nodworx reseller account for my students. I set up each student up with an ftp account given each their own username, password, subdomain, and directory … so they can publish their web pages. It seems like the server will only allow access to a couple of students at a time. Is there a limit to simlutanous ftp logins? Can this be increased to 20 for my account (that’s the max number of students I have in any one class).

Thanks, Carol
email associated with nodworx account: carol@scheible.com
domain: chhs-space.com

Carol,

Wow!! What a neat idea! :smiley: Anyway, you can login to NodeWorx and go to System Services > FTP Server and adjust the FTP connection settings. I believe “Servers (max)” is the one you’d want to adjust to allow more connections.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. I don’t see that option anywhere in Nodeworx (or Siteworx…)?

This is what I see in the menu for Nodworx:

NodeWorx Home SiteWorx

* Accounts
* Packages
* Backup / Restore
* Import
      o Single Account
      o Mass Transfer

DNS Server

* Overview
* Zones

Logout

Thx, carol

[quote=IWorx-Greg;10183]Carol,

Wow!! What a neat idea! :smiley: Anyway, you can login to NodeWorx and go to System Services > FTP Server and adjust the FTP connection settings. I believe “Servers (max)” is the one you’d want to adjust to allow more connections.[/quote]

Ahh, I may have misunderstood then. I was thinking you had your own server with InterWorx and you setup a reseller account on it. I sounds like you only have a reseller account with some hosting company? If that’s the case, you would need them to adjust the FTP settings on their end.

Greg,

No, I opened the reseller account myself directly with nexcess. Here’s the email I received when I opened the account, and I am logging into the nodeworx thing and don’t see site services anywhere…

Dear Carol,

Welcome to NEXCESS.NET Web Hosting. Your account is now active. This e-mail details your account information and is important. We recommend that you keep it for future reference. If you have any questions regarding its contents, please feel free to contact our support staff, at any time, by e-mailing support@nexcess.net.

When you login for the first time, you'll be asked to set your DNS servers for your reseller account. If you have your own, feel free to use them. If you don't, we'll provide you DNS servers to use free of charge. All domains will need to have these nameservers associated with them in order to point to the accounts you create on the server. Feel free to use the following DNS servers for your reseller account:

Nameserver 1: <a href="http://dns51-1.nexcess.net/">dns51-1.nexcess.net</a>
Nameserver 2: <a href="http://dns51-2.nexcess.net/">dns51-2.nexcess.net</a>

~~~ NodeWorx Reseller CONTROL PANEL ~~~

NodeWorx is our admin reseller-management interface. It allows you to better utilize the services you have purchased. You can login to NodeWorx by going to:

https://v8juice.nexcess.net:2443/nodeworx/

You must login using the following information:

E-mail: [EMAIL="carol@scheible.com"]carol@scheible.com[/EMAIL]
Password: ******

[quote=IWorx-Greg;10185]Ahh, I may have misunderstood then. I was thinking you had your own server with InterWorx and you setup a reseller account on it. I sounds like you only have a reseller account with some hosting company? If that's the case, you would need them to adjust the FTP settings on their end.[/quote]

Ahh ok. then you’re on the wrong site :wink: This site is specifically for issues with the control panel. You’ll need to contact nexcess.net directly for issues with your account. You can reach them at support@nexcess.net

Carol (keyone),

Don’t worry, you may be on the wrong site, but you are with the right (and same) company. :wink:

Probably the same person (Greg) is going to help you at nexcess.net. :wink:

I don’t know how you thought that you were a customer of interworx, probably you have read the following from the nexcess site (Fully Managed Hosting Services | Nexcess)

… The InterWorx™ Suite was developed by NEXCESS.NET as an end-to-end solution for data centers, dedicated server owners, webmasters …
and thought that you could use any of the 2 sites (not knowing that they are 2 different companies althought run by the same guys) :wink:

PS: you can create siteworx accounts of the form student.chhs-space.com , so they could have email accounts like name A_T student.chhs-space.com ; they can have all the features of the siteworx account.

InterWorx and Nexcess.Net have been separate companies (but some of the same staff) for about a year now. A redesign of the Nexcess site is underway as we speak.

I thought of that, but that would cost me more money (I’d need a reseller package that allows for 80 sub accounts, and the least expensive one has 30). Since I’m paying this out of my own pocket, I decided to just give them ftp logins. THanks. Greg did respond to my support email and fixed my ftp issue.

[quote=tiger;10194]Carol (keyone),
PS: you can create siteworx accounts of the form student.chhs-space.com , so they could have email accounts like name A_T student.chhs-space.com ; they can have all the features of the siteworx account.[/quote]

30 is the number of domains allowed. I don’t know whether that restriction also applies to extra siteworx accounts with the same domain. (I am also intrested to know this)

If allowed, you could only get 25MB of space for each student (of 80) with the minimal plan. That 25MB would include website space, email, any databases (if you allow the students).

I guess, no need to worry, if all/most create only simple pages and use POP to download mails often (so they don’t remain on server). Probably you shouldn’t allow scriptworx.

I set up each student up with an ftp account given each their own username, password, subdomain, and directory … so they can publish their web pages.
Is it possible to setup email for all students with their subdomain without creating a siteworx account like sub.example.com?

Or, you don’t provide email for them?

30 is the number of domains allowed. I don’t know whether that restriction also applies to extra siteworx accounts with the same domain. (I am also intrested to know this)

I want to know, Is this (or would be) allowed without restriction? Or, even if restricted, is that limit considerably higher than the no. of domains limit?

The 30 domain restriction she’s referring to is the Nex Resell 1 package that she purchased, http://nexcess.net/hosting/reseller

For User Accounts, there is no limit to the number of additional SiteWorx Users you can add to a single account.

Is it possible to setup email for all students with their subdomain without creating a siteworx account like sub.example.com?
Is it possible to offer email and simple website (just web space) without creating a siteworx a/c for the user?
Also services like ftp, catch-all email, pipe mail via .qmail-default and mail addresses like name@user1.example.com for every user?

All the above from a reseller a/c.

I know it won’t have much control/features for the end-user than having a siteworx a/c for them. But is it possible?

The 30 domain restriction she’s referring to is the Nex Resell 1 package that she purchased…
I knew it. I wanted to know whether there is any restriction to the no. of siteworx A/Cs like user1.example.com , user2.example.com , etc (assuming example.com is the reseller a/c)

For User Accounts, there is no limit to the number of additional SiteWorx Users you can add to a single account.
I think by ‘User Accounts’, you mean the one I mentioned above. If yes, its good. :wink:

Ahh, I see what you’re saying. If you’re setting up user1.example.com, user2.example.com, etc…then they’re each a separate siteworx account and there is no limit to the number of those you can setup