SMTP Authentication….

Is there a way to set up SMTP Auth on a linux server running Interworx? My server has been used as a spam relay and I need to set up SMTP auth so no one but clients can send mail from my server.

The default mail server set up is NOT an open relay. It provides two methods of authentication. SMTP Auth is one, and POP before SMTP is the other. Both methods of authentication work, and both are secure. If your server has indeed become an open relay, the first step is to investigate how this could have happened, since like I said, that is not the default setup.

Paul

Well my server and IP have been black listed on most all spam software, siad my server is/was an open relay server. How do I set up SMTP Auth? I have dont it with IMAIL for Windows servers thats it. Want want to make people put that little check in My server requirs Auth.

SMTP Auth Again

If SMTP Auth is already installed, how do i check if it is functioning properly,

Through some tutorials on the internet, smtp auth requires a program called checkpassword, I did not find that on my machine

Just create a mailbox and try to login with any SMTP-AUTH enabled email client ialameh.

Chris

Just a thought, it could be a cgi or php script someone is running on their site, or even someone on the server using a mail account to spam.

we don’t have “SMTP-AUTH REQUIRED,” option in IW.4.4.0

[QUOTE=IWorx-Paul;2252]The default mail server set up is NOT an open relay. It provides two methods of authentication. SMTP Auth is one, and POP before SMTP is the other. Both methods of authentication work, and both are secure. If your server has indeed become an open relay, the first step is to investigate how this could have happened, since like I said, that is not the default setup.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul,
we have a VPS with
InterWorx-CP Version: InterWorx-CP v4.4.0 [Unlimited Domain] VPS
Distribution: CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-028stab069.6-ent (SMP)

and we can NOT select SMTP-AUTH REQUIRED TLS ,…" in IW.
so we can send emails WITHOUT auth, without a pass !!

With outlook, I managed to send emails to addresses outside domains hosted, without knowing the email account password, because outgoing email does no longer require auth…

please advise.
thx
Marius