Subdomain to redirect A Record

[SIZE=3]Hello all[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Need a little advice please, I have been asked to set up a sub domain on a DNS of a domain I own and then redirect the A record of that sub domain to point to another IP address.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Does anyone know how I can do this please? Sorry all new to me, not done this before if anyone can please help I would appricate it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thanks[/SIZE]

Stuart

Hi Stuart

This can be easily done. I am assuming the sub domain is on another server. From the NodeWorx Control panel area, assuming your the server Admin, do the following:

1. Click on System Services, then
  2. Click on DNS Server, then
  3. Click on Zones, then
  4. Once on the DNS Management :: Zones page look for the domain name in which you want to redirect the A record for a SubDomain and click on [ Records ] for that domain, then
  5. You will see all the DNS Records for that domain, and lets say we are working with the domain name: mydomain.net. And you wanted to setup a DNS entry for a subdomain of…lets say, mystuff, then
  6. To the right of the “Add” button you will type in the full sub domain, in our example it will be mystuff.mydomain.net, then
  7. Move to the right where you will see a drop down menus and the letter “A” should be showing, leave it showing and in the next field to the right is the area we type in the IP address in which this subdomain will be “pointing”. Then,
  8. Once you typed in your IP address click the “Add” button to add the subdomain “A” record to the servers DNS. Then,
  9. Now all you need to do at the destination server is set up a subdomain (as a regular site, instead of using just the domain you use the full subdomain as the domain)

Now that subdomain should be pointing to the new destination on another server. And you can manage the sub domain independantly as if it is a regular web site.

Hope you find this helpful.

Roy

Thank you so much Roy, thats great, I have just made the changes and hopefully it will work, just waiting to see.

Thank you again for all your help.

Stu

[quote=itsabadger;16084]Thank you so much Roy, thats great, I have just made the changes and hopefully it will work, just waiting to see.

Thank you again for all your help.

Stu[/quote]
No problem, glad I could help for a change. Hope this started working for you.

Worked great, new website up and running on 2nd server, thank you again.