Subversion on InterWorx Box

I have what may be a kind of “off-the-wall” question here. I work on several projects with friends around the US.

Since I have a dedicated box, I wanted to setup a Subversion server for us to use to check-in and version control all our source code, etc.

My question is: Are you aware of any incompatibilities, problems that I might run into, etc. in installing and running a Subversion server on my InterWorx box?

sonicgroup,

It’s actually a good thing you asked. The next release of InterWorx-CP will have updated apache, php etc binaries and will also include the “Apache Portable Runtime” bundled as well. Older versions of Subversion and the APR conflict since Subversion bundles APR with it. What I’d do is wait for the new InterWorx-CP release (should be this week or early next) and then compile Subversion from scratch and make sure that the system’s APR is used and not the one bundled with Subversion (if it’s even still bundlled).

Chris

That’s great news (less compiling! Woo!).

None of the software/libraries required come “bundled”. They are all separate packages, unfortunately, or perhaps, in this case, fortunately. There are a set of RPMs out for RH9, so I imagine I can just download those and only install the components that I need (i.e. skip APR, etc.), and get it working.

Of course, I’ll probably wind up checking out the latest from the Subversion CVS and using that, simply because this will only be among friends, and not a mission-critical installation.

Thanks for the info Chris.

None of the software/libraries required come “bundled”. They are all separate packages, unfortunately, or perhaps, in this case, fortunately. There are a set of RPMs out for RH9, so I imagine I can just download those and only install the components that I need (i.e. skip APR, etc.), and get it working.

Except APR :), believe me, I wish it didn’t.

The problem stems from RH9’s ancient versions of everything, which is why we’re replacing them all with the cur versions.

Of course, I’ll probably wind up checking out the latest from the Subversion CVS and using that, simply because this will only be among friends, and not a mission-critical installation.

I’d highly recommend this. The RH9 version is ancient. I’d just compile it from source of if they have current version RPMs available that’d work as well.

Chris

The RPMs I was speaking of are created from the stable branch of Subversion. They are current, but they are created for a RH9 system, which is what I meant when I said RH9 RPMs.

But, like I said, and you recommended, I’m gonna just check out the current tree and compile it. I’ve done it before and I’m not scared of doing it, I just wanted to make sure that there were no incompatibilities or problems I would run into by doing this on an InterWorx box (since it’s very integrated with Apache, PHP, MySQL, likewise Subversion).

Thanks again for the help, and keep up the great work on InterWorx. It’s by far the best panel I’ve used (and I’ve seen quite a few - cPanel, Ensim, Plesk, and DirectAdmin), and the only one that comes close is DirectAdmin, and it’s sorely lacking features right now.