suphp and apache2

I am currently using Interworx on my server and I am having difficulty in getting mod_suphp setup. It loads (or I think it does) but the scripts are not being interpreted at all. I just get back the contents of the file. I’ve tried to install 0.6.2 from source and 0.5.2 from the rpm binary for centos 4.x. I’m going to try the 0.6.0 srpm but I don’t expect it to work any better.

I used the following commandline to install 0.6.1 from source.

./configure --with-apache-user=apache --prefix=/usr --with-setid-mode=owner --disable-checkpath

The 0.5.2 binary rpm for suphp that I used is located @ http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/mod_suphp-0.5.2-8.el4.kb.i386.rpm

Hi Shinji,

Can you paste the contents of one of your vhost.conf files (/etc/httpd/conf.d/) where you’ve tried to setup suPHP?

Thanks,
Socheat

Yea. Here ya go.

<VirtualHost 69.73.169.235:80>

SuexecUserGroup elitesys elitesys

DocumentRoot /home/elitesys/elite-systems.org/html
  ServerName elite-systems.org

ServerAlias ftp.elite-systems.org
  ServerAdmin shinji257@uplink.net

# subdomain logic
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteOptions inherit
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.elite-systems\.org [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^elite-systems\.org [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([A-Z0-9a-z-]+)\.elite-systems\.org [NC]
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%1 -d
  RewriteRule ^(.+) %{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [C]
  RewriteRule ^([0-9A-Za-z-]+)\.elite-systems\.org/?(.*)$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/$1/$2 [L]
  # end subdomain logic

ErrorLog /home/elitesys/var/elite-systems.org/logs/error.log
  CustomLog /home/elitesys/var/elite-systems.org/logs/transfer.log combined
  <IfModule mod_php.c>
  php_admin_flag engine On
  </IfModule>
  <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
  suPHP_UserGroup elitesys elitesys
  suPHP_ConfigPath /etc
  suPHP_Engine On
  </IfModule>

AcceptPathInfo On

# cgi: 1 don't edit between this and the "end cgi" comment below
  <Directory /home/elitesys/elite-systems.org/html>
    AllowOverride  AuthConfig FileInfo Options Limit Indexes
    Options +ExecCGI
  </Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/elitesys/elite-systems.org/html/cgi-bin/
  # end cgi

</VirtualHost>

At the moment it is actually uninstalled and I am making another attempt on working with mod_php but I would like to have mod_suphp installed and working for when I add other people to the server.

Oh and this same exact issue came up after I installed the suphp 0.6.0 SRPM on updates.interworx.com.

Ran…

rpmbuild --rebuild --with=cosx4 http://updates.interworx.com/iworx/SRPMS/experimental/suphp-0.6.0-100.iworx.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
yum install suphp-0.6.0-100.iworx.i386.rpm

It all built fine but doesn’t seem to work at all.

I commented out the entire contents of php.conf when I was trying to run mod_suphp which follows here.

#
# PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language which attempts to make it
# easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages.
#

LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so

#
# Cause the PHP interpreter to handle files with a .php extension.
#
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

#
# Add index.php to the list of files that will be served as directory
# indexes.
#
DirectoryIndex index.php

It looks like you’re missing a couple other directives. Please see this post:

http://interworx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8076&postcount=11

Hope that helps,
Socheat

Finally. I got it to work. I was using the IfModule brackets but thinking that they may be causing an issue I just commented out the mod_php specific directives and removed all the IfModule brackets from the configs then restarted apache. Now it works perfectly. Thanks for your help!

Now then how can I make it so that future accounts that are created use these settings instead of setting up mod_php (which isn’t even being loaded anymore imo).

Unfortunately, right now, there isn’t a way to automate the addition of these directives. New accounts will have to be modified manually, as they are created.

Socheat

Ok. Thanks.

Hello

isn’t it possible to edit the iworx vhost-base.conf ? and add these directives ?

/home/interworx/etc/vhost-base.conf

Pascal

Pascal,

You could put some of the suPHP directives in the vhost conf, but directives that are specific to the account can not be put in the vhost-base.conf file. For example, the following two lines:

suPHP_UserGroup username username
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/username/some/path/here

could not be put into vhost conf file, as InterWorx does not currently allow you to substitute in the username or a custom path.

Socheat

Time to eat crow… :frowning:

I looked at the code that does the vhost-base.conf translation, and it turns out we do actually allow more variables to be dynamically replaced. Here a few of the more useful variables

<<IP_ADDR>> - ip address of the siteworx account
<<UNIQNAME>> - username of siteworx account
<<WEBROOT>> - webroot of account ( /home/username/domain.com/html )
<<PACKROOT>> - package root of account (/home/username)
<<DOMAIN>> - domain

So, you’d want to make your vhost-base.conf look like this:

<VirtualHost <<IP_ADDR>>:<<PORT>>>

<<SUEXEC>>

DocumentRoot <<WEBROOT>>
  ServerName <<DOMAIN>>

ServerAlias <<ALIASES>>
  ServerAdmin webmaster@<<DOMAIN>>

# subdomain logic
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteOptions inherit
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.<<ESCDOMAIN>> [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^<<ESCDOMAIN>> [NC]
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([A-Z0-9a-z-]+)\.<<ESCDOMAIN>> [NC]
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%1 -d
  RewriteRule ^(.+) %{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [C]
  RewriteRule ^([0-9A-Za-z-]+)\.<<ESCDOMAIN>>/?(.*)$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/$1/$2 [L]
  # end subdomain logic

ErrorLog <<ERRORLOG>>
  CustomLog <<XFERLOG>> combined

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
  AddHandler x-httpd-php .php
  suPHP_Engine on
  suPHP_UserGroup <<UNIQNAME>> <<UNIQNAME>>
  suPHP_ConfigPath <<PACKROOT>>
  php_admin_flag engine off

php_admin_flag engine On

# cgi: <<CGISTATUS>>  don't edit between this and the "end cgi" comment below
  <Directory <<WEBROOT>>>
  suPHP_AddHandler x-httpd-php .php
  <<CGI1>>
  </Directory> 
  <<CGI2>>
  # end cgi

</VirtualHost>

That should work. Also, note that “suPHP_ConfigPath” can be set to pretty much any path, as this is the path to where the php.ini resides. So you could set it to:

suPHP_ConfigPath /home/<<UNIQNAME>>/<<DOMAIN.COM>>

instead of setting it to <<PACKROOT>> like I did above. I would just strongly urge you to not set the config path to a public accessible location (like <<WEBROOT>>), otherwise people may be able to read your php.ini file.

Sorry Pascal, you were right. :o

Socheat

lol

No pbm Socheat. One time Chris gave me few others variables but I didn’t know there were all these ones :slight_smile:

DOC DOC is need !!!

If All these configs could be set in the control panel it could be great. You like an admin/setup which allow to define/rewrite some entries in the iworx.ini and could be set other kind of things like :
define the vhost-conf
define the look of suspend web page
define the contents of mail alert
etc…

My pbm now is every time there is a majour release I lost my vhost-conf file :
If you could externalise this or define it contents in DataBase and front admin in the panel it would allow to always have the same custom config/setup

Pascal

instead of setting it to <<PACKROOT>> like I did above. I would just strongly urge you to not set the config path to a public accessible location (like <<WEBROOT>>), otherwise people may be able to read your php.ini file.

the php.ini is not in /etc/php.ini ?? or is it suPHP which create or need a php.ini for every accounts ?

Pascal

Yes, when you use suPHP, each account uses it’s own php.ini file and the suPHP_ConfigPath let’s you determine where you want your php.ini stored.

Socheat

arff so the creation process of a new account with the use of suPHP can’t be fully automate as you’ll always have to copy/create a php.ini file somewhere

We’ll add that to the list :wink:

If All these configs could be set in the control panel it could be great. You like an admin/setup which allow to define/rewrite some entries in the iworx.ini and could be set other kind of things like :
define the vhost-conf
define the look of suspend web page
define the contents of mail alert
etc…

My pbm now is every time there is a majour release I lost my vhost-conf file :
If you could externalise this or define it contents in DataBase and front admin in the panel it would allow to always have the same custom config/setup

I’m sure this is coming eventually but we’ll have to see how high it ends up on the list of priorities of the devs. In the mantime I’d suggest just keeping copies of your vhost.conf as vhost-conf-custom and/or keep a local copy.

Actually I don’t believe that suPHP_ConfigPath has to be defined in the conf files at all. I think if it is left undefined then php will look at the compiled in path which happens to be /etc/php.ini anyways. suPHP_ConfigPath can be setup in a users htaccess file so if you wanted to you could make the user aware of it and they can manage their own file. It is an interesting thing though because then they can manage multiple php.ini files for various parts of their site.

To effectively do that idea though you need to build a version of php that has most of its modules as shared so they can be loaded dynamically (like how apache is now). The php that is setup with interworx has nearly all of its modules compiled in.

Hello,

Just to be sure to understand well, as I didn’t read the suPHP doc and I’m not a user of this, with suPHP, PHP is running as CGI or suPHP might use the Apache PHP module ?

I ask this because I was thinking about a solution we may do.

The solution would be to compile a new PHP5 version and propose to our user to use both php4 and php5 on the same box. Php4 will be used as an Apache module and PHP5 will be used as CGI with the use of suPHP

It should be possible, no ?

is some of you already configure this ? or configure on the same box a PHP4 as module and a PHP5 as CGI ?

Any howto ? web pointer ?

Could we use the iworx php5 srpm to have a base and be able to change the way it is compiled ?

Pascal

ouahou suPHP 0.6 can run mutliple version of php

suPHP 0.6.0 has been released.
For this release suPHP has been completely rewritten. This in an (incomplete) list of only the most important changes:
Complete code rewritten now using C++ instead of C
Automake based build system
suPHP is now reading its runtime configuration from a file
Apache 1.3 module completely rewritten - now all modes are supported with Apache 1.3, too
Support for concurrent use of different PHP version (e.g. 3, 4, 5)

Which is exactly what I was looking for :slight_smile:

I thought run php4 as module and php5 as CGI but if suPHP can run both !!!

Pascal

Pascal,

Seems interesting, but wouldn’t you still have to run one of the PHPs as a module and one as a CGI wether or not you use suPHP for both?

Or does suPHP actually provide a gateway between apache and PHP where there is NO PHP4 mod and PHP5 mod in apache, just the suPHP mod which then independant of apache uses PHP4 or PHP5???

When i get some more time Im gonna look into it or maybe I’ll just wait and see what you find out :stuck_out_tongue:

edit
Found this, looks outdated, but maybe the right .idea.

Requests to files ending with .php, .php3, .php4 or .phtml should be handled by PHP4 CGI (this can be easily changed). Create a /etc/apache2/modules.d/php4-cgi.conf, which will be included by httpd.conf automatically:

handler for PHP 4 scripts

<IfDefine PHP4CGI>
ScriptAlias /php4-cgi /usr/lib/php4/bin/php-cgi
Action php4-cgi /php4-cgi
AddHandler php4-cgi .php4 .php3 .php .phtml
</IfDefine>

Requests to files ending with .php5 should be handled by PHP5 CGI (this can be easily changed). Create a /etc/apache2/modules.d/php5-cgi.conf, which will be included by httpd.conf automatically:

handler for PHP 5 scripts

<IfDefine PHP5CGI>
ScriptAlias /php5-cgi /usr/lib/php5/bin/php-cgi
Action php5-cgi /php5-cgi
AddHandler php5-cgi .php5
</IfDefine>