Temporary url when setting up website?

We are setting up a website (wordpress) for a customer.
But before he changes the DNS records from his old hosting company to us we want to install the Website and make sure everything is working OK.

Is there a temporary URL that can be used to test everything before the customer makes the nameserver change? i have tried ip address and a few other combos but no success.

just tried https://ip-address/~unix name/) and get page isnt working right now 500 error

Hi bear

The best way to test is to add the domain into your computer host file, flush your computer dns cache and then run a ping on the domain to confirm it resolves to your server. Lastly clear your browser cache and then view the website

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

i am sure i used to be able to use the ip address and unix name and test that way but cannot get it working.
just tried https://ip-address/~unix name/) and get page isnt working right now 500 error

Thank you for your reply

Hi bear

Many thanks

Yes that is correct for ip to view website

However, due to various reasons, although it works on some sites, it does not reflect a true site, as most now rely on hostname resolution for the website to work and using ip does not give hostname resolution. Please remember sni relies on hostname to work properly and if say, a wordpress site etc, is set to use hostname

Honestly, for a true and full view of site when no dns is set to your server, add domain to your computer host file, save flush dns cache on computer and clear browser cache or use a different browser which has not viewed the site to view site

This gives full hostname resolution to the site

Many thanks

John

I will give that a try
Thank you

I have done it a week ago here is the instruction

Step 1.
Click the Windows button and type Notepad in the search bar.

Step 2.
Right click on Notepad and then Run as Administrator.

Step 3.
You’ll be asked, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”. Choose Yes.

Step 4.
In Notepad, choose File then Open.

Step 5.
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts or click the address bar at the top and paste in the path and choose Enter. If you don’t readily see the host file in the /etc directory then select All files from the File name: drop-down list, then click on the hosts file.

Step 6.
Add the appropriate IP and hostname (192.185.115.124 domain.com) at the end of your hosts’ file, select Save, and then close the file. (make sure there is a space between ip address and domain)

Step 7.
Click the Windows button and type cmd in the search bar.

Step 8.
Open cmd file

Step9.
Type:- ipconfig /flushdns

Step 10.
Now open your website in browser

Step 11.
If everything is working 100% on your website.

Step 12.
Remove your ip address and domain from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and save file

Step 13.
You can now point your dns from your domain registrar to …

ns1.theprofithost.com
ns2.theprofithost.com

or to your new hosting server the above was mine

@johanvena Thank you for the instructions, very good of you.

Hello–

The temp url way of viewing sites that are not live is not compatible with PHP-FPM, which is why you were getting a 500 error. If the domain is using a version of PHP provided by InterWorx’s Multiple PHP tool (which are all PHP-FPM) or the PHP Mode on the Webserver page in NodeWorx is set to PHP-FPM, http://ip.ad.re.ss/~unix will not work. This is not a limitation with InterWorx, just how that method interacts with PHP-FPM, in general.

As John noted, the recommended way to view a site without DNS set up is to add it to the host file, but just figured I’d chime in to give some info as to why you received the 500 error in the first place. :slight_smile:

-Jenna
Friendly Neighborhood InterWorx Support Manager

1 Like

Thank you Jenna for the explanation