troubleshooting qmail

Hello,

I have been having 2 kinds of problems with my qmail.

1. Stops working, daemon still running but not receiving email. Solution is to restart the mail server. Not sure why this happens. How to pin point the problem?

2. qmail not receiving email from particular servers. Ive got 4 servers total (one interworx others cpanel) one of them cannot send email to users on the interworx server. Haven’t found a way around it. How does one trouble shoot this problem? Im sure there are others out there it wont receive email from, too.

Thanks!

Hello,

Found the problem with issue 2. Apparently there was vhost for that same domain on the first server. However, dns zone was pointing to the interworx server. Why didn’t it just forward the mail?

Anyway I removed the vhost from the source server and mail is getting through now to interworx, the destination.

Found the problem with issue 2. Apparently there was vhost for that same domain on the first server. However, dns zone was pointing to the interworx server. Why didn’t it just forward the mail?

If the local box is authoritative for a given domain, DNS isn’t even consulted. The mail server says “oh, i do mail for yyyyy.com, so i’ll just deliver it there, no need to do more work”.

As for #1 I’m not sure, and this is the first I’ve seen of it. By ‘stops working’ do you mean ‘no longer listens on port 25?’

Chris