Upgrading MariaDB version on CentOS 7 InterWorx Server

Is there a supported method for upgrading the version of MariaDB?

I used this guide a while ago to upgrade before (maybe on a previous server).

Anything new since then?

Was provided this guide by my datacenter, looks pretty straight forward.
https://mariadb.com/docs/deploy/upgrade-community-server-cs105-centos7/

1 Like

Hello–

As InterWorx runs its own internal instancef MySQL, users are able to upgrade their system-level MySQL/MariaDB version to whatever they would like, using whatever guide they would like. We do not have specific documentation on our end on how to do so. However, we do recommend using the remi repo, just in general.

The guide your datacenter provided should be fine. If you’d like to do a test run, I can provide a demo key for you.

Thanks,
-Jenna

Thank you for the offer! I am going to get a temp VPS / Cloud server setup and move over some of my bigger sites. Then give the MySQL update a try and test. So I will want to take you up on that offer for the Demo Key. Or I guess my datacenter can request it on my behalf when I get started on this and they setup my cloud server?

Whichever is easiest for you. :slight_smile: Just submit a ticket to support.interworx.com and I’ll hook you (or your datacenter) up. :slight_smile:

Hi Justec and Jenna

This works lovely and without issues as I tried it last week, but run out of time

It also virtually matches other threads about updating MariaDB

The only part missing from the instructions is once completed, you need to run upgrade mysql command

mariadb-upgrade -u root -p

Hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

1 Like

Hi,
a few questions, can we upgrade from 10.2 to 10.5 in one go? I do remember from MySql you needed to go version by version and not skip one of them as it would break things.

I don’t have the mariabackup program and user installed but can’y obvisouly not install it because the repo is down so need to use the archive one. I also found this url in how to add the user is that ok? Mariabackup Overview - MariaDB Knowledge Base

Prior to 10.5, the required privileges are:

CREATE USER ‘mariabackup’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘mypassword’;
GRANT RELOAD, PROCESS, LOCK TABLES, REPLICATION CLIENT ON . TO ‘mariabackup’@‘localhost’;

Many thanks

Hi Nico

Hope your all well

I did a 10.2 to 10.5 without issue

You do need to run the update command once 10.5 installed

If you want to take a full db backup, you could always stop mariadb and make a copy of the db directory in full or use MySQL root to dump all

Many thanks

John

I did the version by version and not all in the same day to make sure I could catch problems with websites along the way. There were some changes that can affect sites. Like every field having to be filled or if not, have a default value set on an INSERT.

Hi @Justec thanks for taking the time to reply, I do remember from my cPanel time that an upgrade went wrong when I jumped straight 2 versions, but was not sure with MariaDB, I did found on their website the differences between versions, so I need more to time to read and prepare, I have a few Prestashops customers so need to be careful. On one server I used the archive repositories to install the MariaD backup program and to receive my yum updates at the same time, only to find the siteworx hotfix to disable it again :slight_smile: but at least i got a bit further now.