Upgrading/migrating

I currently have a RedHat 9 box with Sago. I plan to upgrade to a different server as soon as CentOS and Fedora Core 2 are supported. It’s a faster box with everything I have now.

My question: how is the best way to do this?

I intend to ask them to leave both servers running for a while to allow me to minimize downtime. I am copying all important data to the second hard drive on my server and will have them move the second dive to the new server so I don’t have to use scp like I did the last time. There is a lot more data than before.

What do I need to back up? I want all of my user data and all of the myql databases.

/home
/etc

What else?

Is it safe to do a restore of the InterWorx configuration and other system config files as well or should I restore that by hand (keep in mind I’m also moving from RedHat 9 to either CentOS or Fedora 2 (probably CentOS, but I haven’t made a final decision).

Also, I’ve asked people at Sago so I’ll ask it here. From the standpoing of InterWorx is there any advantage/disadvangage of one over the other? People keep saying that Fedora is designed for a workstation (primarily) but I don’t see that on their site at all.

Thanks again.

We’ve done this once before and I’ll try to outline the ‘best’ way here:

• Make sure you’re running the same version of InterWorx-CP on both boxes, just to cut out variables.

• Turn off as many services as you can: iworx, httpd, mysqld, proftpd, qmail, imap, pop3 etc on both boxes.

• copy over /home and /var/lib/mysql, which contains all user data and all user DBs.

• you’ll need at least the contents of /etc/httpd (and below) and possibly more from /etc (sorry there isn’t a list at this point).

Once you have /home, /var/lib/mysql and /etc/httpd/ copied over try restarting the basic services. If you want I can help you our during the process as I know it isn’t trivial and perhaps we could make it a documenting experience if you’re up to it ;).

There is no feature advantage to any of the IWorx-CP supported OSs but given that CentOS is a RedHat Enterprise level clone and designed for heavy duty web/file/db serving I lean toward it for many applications, including basica dedicated servers. Now, I’ve done no benchmarking (yet) on the lot but choosing based just on application I’d choose CentOS.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I’m game :slight_smile:

I have to admit that a lot of this is over my head. I haven’t done a lot of this.

You’ve no doubt read my “Your Own DNS Server and InterWorx” document. I’m not sure if Greg told you but I’m working on a new user’s FAQ as well.

The draft is here http://www.transwarphosting.net/help/interworx-faq.htm if you want to take a look.

There is no feature advantage to any of the IWorx-CP supported OSs but given that CentOS is a RedHat Enterprise level clone and designed for heavy duty web/file/db serving I lean toward it for many applications, including basica dedicated servers. Now, I’ve done no benchmarking (yet) on the lot but choosing based just on application I’d choose CentOS.

Thanks. That’s just what I wanted to know.

Tim

Hi there :slight_smile:

Tim, you so precious !!! (not sure that my translation is fine, so if it’s mean something strange forget this word :-p)

I mean every time I like to go through something you ask it before me.
So it’s really great as I have very good answers from you, chirs and Paul :slight_smile:

I’d like to migrate my box to a centos aswell. I test it since few months now (not in a production environment)

So maybe our 2 experiences could help together to migrate our box :slight_smile:

As you maybe now, I’m french and I’m working on a french Interworx FAQ too .

Thanks again to take time to help us

Pascal

Make sure you’re running the same version of InterWorx-CP on both boxes, just to cut out variables.

So it means that I have to first go through the version 1.8 on my box to migrate, then install CentOS on a new server with interworx 1.8, and finaly backup/restore files from the first to the second ?

How to backup/restore siteworx accounts configuration ?

Pascal

squalito / tim,

We’re actually testing an “in place” upgrade from RH9 -> Cent-OS using just the YUM update system. This would be immensely easier than doing server move but to be honest we won’t be able to test this upgrade process until 1.8 has been out for a bit. Just wanted to let everyone know this might be an option.

Chris

yep should be the better one :slight_smile:

Chris

Could you please do not forget to let me know if I can update my box to centos with RPM
As I’m waiting for this answer to launch the migration from RH9 to centos and to interworx 1.8

Thanks for your help
Pascal

squalito,

As I said, we won’t even be testing any such upgrade processes until 1.8 is out for a few weeks. Please don’t hold up any plans based on what I’ve said squalito , I just wanted to let everyone know that it might be an option, but isn’t a 100% foolproof one at this point.

Chris

oki docki :slight_smile:

No pbm I’m not hurry

I’ll see if I wait or upgrade the server quickly.

The first step is to go through interworx 1.8 so I’ll do this first. Do you have good return from beta tester from now ? Could I upgrade it now ?

Could you confirm these migration steps :
1 - go through the version 1.8 on my box to migrate,
2 - install CentOS on a new server with interworx 1.8,
3 - backup/restore files from the first to the second ?

thanks

Pascal

1.8 has had good reveiws from BETA testers so far but it’s “released” officially yet so no datacenters have it availble to them at this point. You are welcome to BETA test though which would get you up to the 1.8 version or you’re welcome to wait for the official release which I predict will be this weekend barring any critcal reports from our testers.

Thanks,

Chris

Ok

I just send an email to beta@xxx to become beta tester

What about this plan

What about this plan

That’s the cleanest way as of today to do it.

Chris

InterWorx isn’t like Plesk and cPanel (requiring a fresh install of the OS before installing it)? The Sago techs have led me to believe that it was.?

Anyewy, I am upgrading to a new box anyway. It’s faster with more bandwidth and have already made arrangements with Iris to do this as soon as CentOS is supported. She agreed to leave my old box running for a few days while the data is moved,

InterWorx isn’t like Plesk and cPanel (requiring a fresh install of the OS before installing it)? The Sago techs have led me to believe that it was.?

We actually told the Sago techs this to make their lives (and ours) easy as it’s simplest from a clean install.

Can it be done? it can, with our new install system. The problem arises when you already have existing sites, email boxes etc installed as the iworx-cp installer will just upgrade things and remove packages (i.e. sendmail) as it goes (prompting as necessary). The problem is your existing setup will probably not work well with InterWorx-CP (i.e. if you setup some sites pre-interworx-cp then they may need some “fixing”). Old e-mail accounts will most likely not work at all.

So, the short answer is “no, we don’t need a clean install” but it helps ease confusion :).

Chris

Hi there

Chris, or maybe someone else know, how is the best and easiest solution to migrate all the siteworx account configuration from my Rh9 server to my new centos server ?

Copying
/home
/var/lib/mysql
/usr/local/src
/etc/httpd

Will be enough ?

Thanks
pascal

squalito,

The process is by no means documented and is not as easy as just copying all of those files over. Until it’s documented I suggest just re-created all accounts on the new server manually as it’s the most foolproof method.

Chris