Using new Password on IW.

Hey all,

So as you may know if you follow other threads I’ve asked a lot of questions here about how to install scripts that require the new mysql passwords in order to work correctly. Well here is something I stumbled across which I think would help others in the same issue.

mysql> select password(‘sL1UQErdnl8B’);
±-------------------------+
| password(‘sL1UQErdnl8B’) |
| 0fcfa08330961b79 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> set old_passwords=0;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select password(‘sL1UQErdnl8B’);
±------------------------------------------+
| password(‘sL1UQErdnl8B’) |
| *CCC63D6BDF22AA8708DCEBCD5A3123FDDA6F03A6 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

This was done via the command prompt of my server. It shows that you can set the variable in memory for it to use the new password, and then go back to the old password so IW doesn’t throw a fit.

If you do this with root access to the database, you should then be able to update the users table in MySQL so that the password for the database is in the fashion your script is expecting. :slight_smile:

Can you still open phpMyAdmin from a SiteWorx account?

This is what I was working on a month or so ago in this same regard.
http://forums.interworx.com/threads/8276-Best-way-to-move-from-php-mysql-to-php-mysqlnd

Hi justec

I would consider it would work myself, as katronix is completing it manually

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=Justec;27535]Can you still open phpMyAdmin from a SiteWorx account?

This is what I was working on a month or so ago in this same regard.
http://forums.interworx.com/threads/8276-Best-way-to-move-from-php-mysql-to-php-mysqlnd[/QUOTE]

Justin, as John said yes it works fine, as you are creating a separate instance, not telling MySQL to only work with the new password system.

By “Separate Instance” you mean you are only changing the password for the additional MySQL user, not the main SiteWorx MySQL user correct?

I did try this and it seemed to work, the issue comes in when you want to run PHP 5.4, which uses php-mysqlnd by default and php-mysqlnd requires you connect with the new passwords only.
But you can’t leave the system in old_passwords=0 mode or else SiteWorx phpMyAdmin will not work, as it creates passwords on the fly before connecting. If it makes a password on the fly and it’s the new password SiteWorx phpMyAdmin will fail.

So in order for this setup to work, you’d have to manually go in and change your additional MySQL user password to new password, then turn old password back on so SiteWorx phpMyAdmin will work. This works fine if you are the only person on the server, but in a shared environment, you don’t want to be having to create special password for every MySQL user on the system.

By separate instance, I mean an individual log in to Mysql either via phpMyAdmin or the shell prompt. This in no way affects anyone else, as you aren’t changing anything in the mysql.cnf. And on my server I’m running PHP 5.5, with no issues.