Where is the MySQL database file located?

Ok I am a total newbie on the following.

My goal is to eventually use the same MySQL database for several sites on my server.

1. How would I go about doing this?

2. Where are the actual file containing the data located on my server?

3. Using a program called Navicat 2004 for import/export, I am trying to remotely connect to a test database I have created in one site, through SiteWorx. But when I click “Test connection” I get an error message “Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server”.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks

1. How would I go about doing this?

Just setup a mysql db on 1 of the sites, and use the login/db info from all sites that you want to ‘share’ the db with.

1. Where are the actual file containing the data located on my server?

The actual database table file are in /var/lib/mysql

1. Using a program called Navicat 2004 for import/export, I am trying to remotely connect to a test database I have created in one site, through SiteWorx. But when I click “Test connection” I get an error message “Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server”.

You need to give yourself access to the database from your remote IP. When editing your DB in SiteWorx you’ll usually see ‘localhost’ on the right hand side of the ‘manage users’ screen. You need to change ‘localhost’ to be your IP address that you’re trying to connect from and that should fix that problem.

Chris