WordPress Multisite setup issues

In order to setup WP Multisite, you have to create a wildcard DNS entry, as well as setup an Apache ServerAlias from .<domain> to the root of <domain>. Setting up the DNS entry is no problem, but how do you setup the ServerAlias? It’s been suggested that setting up a pointer domain or subdomain called '’ would work, but ICP seems to block that capability.

Hi Ghost,

This really isn’t possible via the control panel (must be added manually to vhost file), but I’ve added a bug report to our system so the developers can take a look at it.

The strange thing is that I had multisite working on another server that I no longer have, but I can’t remember what I did to make it work (I’m sure it was a manual edit, but not sure where)

[QUOTE=IWorx-Dan;18579]Hi Ghost,

This really isn’t possible via the control panel (must be added manually to vhost file), but I’ve added a bug report to our system so the developers can take a look at it.[/QUOTE]

The fix should take the developer all of 30 seconds because they just need to add * to the regex they use to validate the name. Literally it’s two keystrokes to fix it.

It would be great if this were done, as currently we have to tell our 40,000+ customers that interworx can’t be used with our software or many others. To catch typos like wwww.domain.com, and ww.domain.com, some would even say a ServerAlias *.domain.com should be done by default, but to prevent it, saying it’s invalid, is a problem.

Sorry for resurrecting old threads, but we’re in the process of setting up our first interworx machine and I am trying to go through my checklist of what has to work and how to do it in nodeworx (if possible). Has this been addresses/implemented?
Is there a way for us to acccess the bug reports system or is that closed to the public?

Hi mdeinhardt

I would consider it has been implemented and I have never seen any reference to bug reports for public viewing.

If you find it has not been, please open a bug report from interworx website and include this post for reference.

On a side note, in case your not aware but I’m sure you are, Wordpress can be installed using the one click installers such as softaculous, if you have activated the plugin from nodeworx and set an account with them.

I hope you don’t mind my thoughts

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

thanks for your help. It doesn’t look ike it has been inplemented in the GUI, but this http://forums.interworx.com/threads/5141-Custom-ServerAlias-Event-Hook?highlight=serveralias should help, as I can create a wildcard serverAlias by default.

And thanks for your note on Softaculous, I planned to have a look at that too. Just have to figure out how to make it install Wordpres multisite. On the other hand we really don’t need it that often, most customers are better off with a standard WP.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

Many thanks, and you can install multisite directly from softculous, which hopefully overcomes this bug.

I know we have a lot of clients who use WP, but I am not too sure if it multisite, sorry.

Also, have you looked up cleverwise posts re WP, which may help in securing your WP more.

Many thakns

John