Best practice on theming?

Hi,
What would be best practice on theming Iworx-CP regarding updates?

I made a custom theme based on the “Interworx” theme in v2.0 (mainly image replacements) which was the selected theme in NodeWorx, but after the update to 2.1 the theme was switched back to “Interworx”. I can understand why know, since there are new features added and they could not be found in my own theme (i.e link to Firewall in NodeWorx).
I guess the “Interworx” default theme was replaced (or updated) during the 2.1 update.

So, if I want to theme…and keep the changes after an update (and include possibly new features), how would I accomplish this?
Should I edit the “Interworx” default theme directly on the server, or will the changes be overwritten in an update?

Thanks
-tsl-

tsl,

We did have it revert on upgrade since the template changes may cause logging in to fail (this happened with the 2.0 update when folks had custom themes).

Your point is well taken and we need a solution to this for upcoming releases as it obvioulsy sucks to have to jostle things around theme-wise on an update.

What we’ll try and do for the next update is to create a theme that you can edit the header/footer on and those files won’t get touched so your logo and other header/footer changes can persist across updates.

I apologize for the current situation as I’m sure it’s frustrating on an update.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Your idea on a header/footer theme sounds good.

In the mean time, is there any chance to get a “list” of the new features added in 2.1 (theme-wise) so I can update my current theme? I would guess it involves editing menu.tpl and adding some php files to the theme…or maybe there’s alot more to it?

Thanks
-tsl-

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I would be happy with the interworx default theme if it didnt link back to their main company site, nexcess.net, that also sells hosting services.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I would be happy with the interworx default theme if it didnt link back to their main company site, nexcess.net, that also sells hosting services.

Check your default theme for 2.1.0, it doesn’t anymore :slight_smile:

In the mean time, is there any chance to get a “list” of the new features added in 2.1 (theme-wise) so I can update my current theme? I would guess it involves editing menu.tpl and adding some php files to the theme…or maybe there’s alot more to it?

There’s many many small changes and we don’t keep an authoritative checklist of theme changes. We make changes to the main theme and hand-sync the rest.

Your best bet is to sync the menu and then hand sync all the .tpl files except those you made changes to.

Chris