First Time - Guidance Questions

Hey guys.

So I just gotInterworx installed on my server and everything appears to have setup properly. I just have a few questions, that may be everyone here already knows.

1. How do I associate a domain with my interworx installation. IE: Rightnow I’m having to use the IP Address/interworx (etc…) and there doesn’t appearto be a place to manage a “Master” Domain.

2. In order to add domains to the system initially, it wanted a primary and secondary DNSserver. On prior Panels, I was able touse the system itself as the DNS server. Is that possible here, and what would be those values? In GoDaddy I’ll set the host records to theIP, and then just use ns1 and ns2.mydomain. Is this setup proper? Do you haveanother recommendation?

3. In order to add domains, period, it appears like I need to make a siteworx account. Is this correct?

Thanks inadvanced everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving.

EDIT/Update:
Final Update…

I just moved closed to 70 domains, files and all. I must say the interface (once you get past the first few steps of learning), is pretty awesome. It’s fast and responsive. I’ve been a fan of free products for years, but really got tired of the required hands on to just make stuff work. This was an excellent transition (as far as panels go). I really appreciate all the help in this thread.

I’ll probably be writing a how-to guide that really isn’t addressed in the FAQs or documentation. Stuff you should know, but really just have to find out where it’s at.

Thanks again guys!

Hi Donkenoji

Welcome to Interworx
Please see this link to the documentation which should answer your questions.

However, to answer your questions as follows:
1 when you installed interworx, I think from memory it uses the server FQDN, which if you have set the NS or the A records, should then work i.e. if you called your server FQDN myhost.url, and set the NS or A records to your IP, then you would use https://myhost.url:2443/nodeworx as your master domain to login, or as you state, use server IP.
2 I think you maybe getting confused here, if you have set the DNS servers on first load of OS, this allows the server to resolve addresses etc. This is not setting the NS for interworx. To do this, you log into your interworx server, system settings, DNS Server, Overview. Here you can set upto 3 DNS servers and adjust any DNS settings which will affect all accounts on interworx.
The values you use are normally, in the example I used, ns1.myhost.url and ns2.myhost.url, but you need to set the A records etc as above, and ofcourse, change the NS at Godaddy to point to your newly created records, which should bring the NS live.
Please bear in mind, if you didn’t know, RFC requires at leaste 2 different NS, on different nodes but I do know some who only use the same node.
3 Yes, you are correct, to create new host accounts, you create a Siteworx account, and access to the new host account setup (siteworx) you would use https://newdomain.url:2443/siteworx, or indeed you could use IP address in place of newdomain.url, unless you have rewrite set etc.
I hope this helps but if you are still having any issues, please post back and I’ll do some screen shots for you. You may also want to look through the forum, because there are a lot of tweaks.
Many thanks
John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;24853]Hi Donkenoji

Welcome to Interworx
Please see this link to the documentation which should answer your questions.

However, to answer your questions as follows:
1 when you installed interworx, I think from memory it uses the server FQDN, which if you have set the NS or the A records, should then work i.e. if you called your server FQDN myhost.url, and set the NS or A records to your IP, then you would use https://myhost.url:2443/nodeworx as your master domain to login, or as you state, use server IP.
2 I think you maybe getting confused here, if you have set the DNS servers on first load of OS, this allows the server to resolve addresses etc. This is not setting the NS for interworx. To do this, you log into your interworx server, system settings, DNS Server, Overview. Here you can set upto 3 DNS servers and adjust any DNS settings which will affect all accounts on interworx.
The values you use are normally, in the example I used, ns1.myhost.url and ns2.myhost.url, but you need to set the A records etc as above, and ofcourse, change the NS at Godaddy to point to your newly created records, which should bring the NS live.
Please bear in mind, if you didn’t know, RFC requires at leaste 2 different NS, on different nodes but I do know some who only use the same node.
3 Yes, you are correct, to create new host accounts, you create a Siteworx account, and access to the new host account setup (siteworx) you would use https://newdomain.url:2443/siteworx, or indeed you could use IP address in place of newdomain.url, unless you have rewrite set etc.
I hope this helps but if you are still having any issues, please post back and I’ll do some screen shots for you. You may also want to look through the forum, because there are a lot of tweaks.
Many thanks
John[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy. I really did read though a lot of documentation. It was just the first steps after install that wasn’t very clear to me. And yes same here, I use NS1/Ns2.mydomain. Thanks again, I’ll report back my first thoughts and such when the domains resolve.

One other random question. Does the FQDN (primary domain) need to have it’s own siteworx profile setup? Just wondering for FTP/EMail purposes.

Hi

I’m sorry, from memory one shod have been setup already, just log into your nodeworx resellers, accounts. And admin is the primary reseller account for nodeworx, which is your admin account, and listed should be your server FQDN.

To access this quickly, just click login link shown at side of domain.

I think you maybe getting confused over SSL, interworx has it’s own SSL area for services like email, https etc but ofcourse each siteworx has the ability to have its own SSL set, which would not affect the SSL of nodeworx for email etc. this is determined when you set the siteworx account up, either manually or automated.

Also, as you will see, each siteworx account is totally seperate and has access to its own DNS, email etc, which again is determined at the creation of the siteworx, but can be amended afterwards as well.

I hope this helps

Many thanks

John

Hi

I’m so sorry, I included SSL sorry, but each siteworx account setup, has it’s own records created from template, which you can adjust as you need, and therefore use it’s own records, such as MX, FTP etc

I hope this helps

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;24856]Hi

I’m sorry, from memory one shod have been setup already, just log into your nodeworx resellers, accounts. And admin is the primary reseller account for nodeworx, which is your admin account, and listed should be your server FQDN.

To access this quickly, just click login link shown at side of domain.

I think you maybe getting confused over SSL, interworx has it’s own SSL area for services like email, https etc but ofcourse each siteworx has the ability to have its own SSL set, which would not affect the SSL of nodeworx for email etc. this is determined when you set the siteworx account up, either manually or automated.

Also, as you will see, each siteworx account is totally seperate and has access to its own DNS, email etc, which again is determined at the creation of the siteworx, but can be amended afterwards as well.

I hope this helps

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Not sure that mine is setup right.
When I go to that menu to edit the settings, it won’t let me select that account. Eh… guess I’ll have the host reinstall the software.

Rb2tng.png

Hi

I’m sorry but please could I ask if this is installed on a vps or your own server, and is it a full licence or a vps licence.

Also, do you have access to the full nodeworx admin account.

I could be wrong over siteworx account for server FDQN, to check, if you goto system services, dns server, zones, it should be listed I believe, but again I could wrong as I’m doing it from memory from 2 years ago.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi

I’m so sorry, I have arrived back and logged into our systems, and I was wrong about checking from resellers area. You need to check from siteworx, accounts, where you should see FQDN I think.

If it’s not listed, just create it as a siteworx account. Then it should appear in the resellers accounts for admin or Donnie as you’ve called it.

I hope that helps and sorry, as I said, it was 2 years since I setup our servers.

Many thanks

John

Ahh, that was my issue. Thanks John! Other than that, it appears like my host doesn’t know how to setup or install the software. I’m getting a license error, where they activated the license from one of the secondary IPs on the account and not the Primary IP, yet the instance is loaded from the Primary IP.

Part of my problems have been a bad install (like IO and Partition errors); Once I get the actual VM straightened out, I’ll reply here with my updates. Thanks again for your help and direction. (Also it’s a VPS License).

Hi

Sorry, thinking ahead incase you have not already, in system services, email server, mta, please make sure you set the correct RDNS for outgoing IP your using. If you provider has not set any RDNS you need to ask them too or your email maybe classed as spam or rejected.

Many thanks

John

Hi

Sorry, if its working but failing on licence, they need to login to their account with interworx, and set the server ip used for your system or if they are using a provider for licence, they need to contact their licence provider to quickly resolve. It shouldn’t take long but they may have to run licence update either from CLI or web activation.

I hope that helps, and to be totally honest, once your vm/vps is working lovely, and Interworx installed and activated, it should work lovely, and it’s usually OS issues which cause IW to appear not to work.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;24862]Hi

Sorry, thinking ahead incase you have not already, in system services, email server, mta, please make sure you set the correct RDNS for outgoing IP your using. If you provider has not set any RDNS you need to ask them too or your email maybe classed as spam or rejected.

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

It’s all flagged as spam atm. The RDNS is set properly, but I don’t have the domains transferred yet. Still waiting on the Host to fix the license issue before I start migrating. Thanks again and I’ll update soon :wink:

1 Like

I started my domain host record update; only to find out they had the wrong OS installed. This has caused most of the issues (missing dependencies of php and loads of updates). So I’m having them wipe the VM and start over.

Hi denkenoji

Many thanks for letting us know. You may want to check the Linux distro interworx uses, but in general rhel or centos, but there are a few more asked on these.

I use centos 6.4 64 bit and please make sure it is a minimal untouched install completed, then run interworx installer and register the licence before making any type of changes and you should be good to go. I mention this as recently it had been posted on the forum which had caused a licence issue.

Id appreciate if you could post back how it’s gone once you’ve reloaded.

Many thanks

John

Yup that was the issue. We’re reinstalling 6.4 now.

Out of curiosity, what OS was installed? I’m kind of shocked you were able to get it installed at all if it’s not a supported OS.

It was a variant of CentOS 5.x. After about 5 minutes at root, there were dependencies all over the place that wouldn’t update/upgrade because they weren’t supported. Multiple issues caused IO and partition errors in the logs of interworx.

With that aside, I’m not sitting on 6.x. I’ve got it installed and my host name is proper on the server, and my domain is added to the site; however, it’s loading the fresh install of the domain, versus the document root. I think I may have set something up wrong with the domain.

**** Edit Scratch that. Reboot of the webserver solved that. Onto adding my domains :wink: Thanks guys.

Final Update…

I just moved closed to 70 domains, files and all. I must say the interface (once you get past the first few steps of learning), is pretty awesome. It’s fast and responsive. I’ve been a fan of free products for years, but really got tired of the required hands on to just make stuff work. This was an excellent transition (as far as panels go). I really appreciate all the help in this thread.

I’ll probably be writing a how-to guide that really isn’t addressed in the FAQs or documentation. Stuff you should know, but really just have to find out where it’s at.

Thanks again guys!

Hi denkenoji

I’m so pleased your all up and running, and you like interworx.

You may want to look at the forums for event hooks tweaks, such as notification of new accounts, SSL cert changes etc they really make a difference and interworx redirect login for control panel. Infact, there’s a lot of tweaks which make so good.

Also, you may want to consider using maldetect, which you can find on interworx main website exactly how to implement but please, if you like maldetect, you may want to contribute a little money to maldetect.

There’s a lot more but I’m sure you’ll have a look when your ready or once your familiar with interworx more, but just a thought, if your considering using simplescripts as your one click installer, they are no longer allowing host accounts so you would be better using softalusious as the one click installer.

I hope this helps and please feel free to post anytime, but please note this is a forum, and you may not receive an answer quickly or sometimes not at all, but there are some very experienced, friendly users here.

Many thanks

John